#61  
Old 08-27-2019, 10:57 AM
roggenb3's Avatar
roggenb3 roggenb3 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Madtown
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,785
Niced 976 Times in 521 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
We just checked maps yesterday and the current Bear layout only has six holes for sure the same as my original design and three more that might be close without seeing them in person yet. So I'm not sure what the par would be on the current layout or perhaps the 71 listed is accurate. It's likely close from what I've heard from players over the years.
I think Bear is easily par 72 (though partly due to the lack of upkeep and terrible baskets). Maybe more. It's significantly harder than, say, Wilderness long to long, or Rollin Ridge Black to Black.

I've played it twice keeping score and shot 79, 81.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-27-2019, 12:03 PM
Stardoggy's Avatar
Stardoggy Stardoggy is offline
**SuIciDe AnKles**
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Plymouth, WI
Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 528
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,261
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I think Bear is easily par 72 (though partly due to the lack of upkeep and terrible baskets). Maybe more. It's significantly harder than, say, Wilderness long to long, or Rollin Ridge Black to Black.

I've played it twice keeping score and shot 79, 81.
I think that has much more to do with upkeep than anything. I found NoBo to be much harder (and longer, and more elevation changes) than Bear.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-27-2019, 01:28 PM
roggenb3's Avatar
roggenb3 roggenb3 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Madtown
Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,785
Niced 976 Times in 521 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I think that has much more to do with upkeep than anything. I found NoBo to be much harder (and longer, and more elevation changes) than Bear.
I must play this course then - it's hard to imagine a woods course longer and more grueling than Bear.

Guess back East is now higher on the list. I gotta get my a 2nd trip to MH anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-27-2019, 01:48 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 144
Posts: 948
Niced 277 Times in 166 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
A topic, maybe a bit related?, I considered asking here has to do with earth moving and terra forming for a disc golf course as is done in ball golf.

From a money standpoint I don't see it being practical in disc golf but wonder about the possibilities.

In disc golf we are still very limited to the land as we find it. Some tree clearing or maybe a bit of building up a hill or flatting some ground, but think about ball golf where some of these championship courses are created by completely changing the land itself. Many use natural elements, but then there can still be a lot of work moving creeks, adjusting slopes, bringing in or moving large mature trees. I would love to see what the big name famous course designers could do for disc golf with Par 72 and unlimited construction budget could create.

I think in the mean time pushing much beyond what we currently see would be hard.
This is coming. Bit by bit people with money are stumbling across the sport as it grows. You should see the L shaped structure someone in my area just put in this past winter... easily 550 feet on the long side, 150 on the short side, well over 50 feet at the base and 25+ in height. Dug it all out of the ground inside of the L (created a pond) and from other areas around (opening creeks around the island hole and along a few others). And that island hole... the sloping is fantastic, plays amazing with the way he had it shaped and built....

The question is whether it'll grow enough for that to happen in a lot of places. I feel positive about the growth trends. But... who knows.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-27-2019, 01:56 PM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 144
Posts: 948
Niced 277 Times in 166 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
We just checked maps yesterday and the current Bear layout only has six holes for sure the same as my original design and three more that might be close without seeing them in person yet. So I'm not sure what the par would be on the current layout or perhaps the 71 listed is accurate. It's likely close from what I've heard from players over the years.
Looking at the courses individually at Highbridge.... How many times have you got to see each of them in what you'd consider their 'ideal' form - trimmed, best playing pin positions, etc. (or 'ideal' considering level of completion)?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-27-2019, 02:23 PM
Putt for D'oh's Avatar
Putt for D'oh Putt for D'oh is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,108
Niced 466 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
The environmental destruction wrought by ball golf offers lessons we shouldn’t want to repeat.
Agreed, but also lessons on what could be done in an acceptable fashion.

It is interesting to see what has been done here and there for disc golf courses.
I never intended the idea of fully bulldozing wild lands, let alone the planting of monocultured non-native plants and spreading huge amounts of pesticides and fertilizers around. More working with what we have, but just a bit more invasive than simply removing some trees and building a small mound to put a basket on.

But I see property where disc golf exists already that is mostly used for the sole purpose of disc golf that could be an amazing course with what might be significant earth movement in some areas. I think about local courses and know that it is monetarily not feasible but wondered about the possibility and where it may already be happening.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Vonbeezy1 Vonbeezy1 is offline
Finders Keepers Anonymous Pond Diver
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Gullah Gullah Island
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 763
Niced 30 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
Foundation Park in Centralia IL is a par 72 when all in the far placements. five par 3s and five par 5s. 10,925. i dont know what the SSA is, but I would guess around 67-68.

Panther Creek is a Par 71
I shot a 66 from the reds in 2015 and it was 975. I don't believe they have ever played a tourney from blues, they rarely have sanctioned tourneys there anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-28-2019, 02:53 AM
dreadlock86's Avatar
dreadlock86 dreadlock86 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DFW, tx
Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 327
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,877
Niced 244 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
I don't understand your thoughts. Would you mind expanding on this more for me?
he's just saying that dg courses ought to have more par 3s than the typical ball golf course as par 3s are a more integral part of our game than ball golf and that our par 3s tend to be better, more interesting holes than in ball golf.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-28-2019, 05:39 AM
Ryan P.'s Avatar
Ryan P. Ryan P. is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Asheboro, NC
Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 56
Posts: 1,692
Niced 52 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
he's just saying that dg courses ought to have more par 3s than the typical ball golf course as par 3s are a more integral part of our game than ball golf and that our par 3s tend to be better, more interesting holes than in ball golf.
If that's the case, then as I said before, I don't understand that. I won't repeat my thoughts ad nauseum though.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #70  
Old 08-28-2019, 06:27 AM
joecoin's Avatar
joecoin joecoin is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North Central Ohio
Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,236
Niced 664 Times in 321 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
... You should see the L shaped structure someone in my area just put in this past winter... easily 550 feet on the long side, 150 on the short side, well over 50 feet at the base and 25+ in height. Dug it all out of the ground inside of the L (created a pond) and from other areas around (opening creeks around the island hole and along a few others). And that island hole... the sloping is fantastic, plays amazing with the way he had it shaped and built....

...
Where is this?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legit Par 2's? duckychucky Course Design 222 05-30-2016 09:41 PM
Poorly designed par 4,5,and par 6 holes and bad high par courses optidiscic Course Design 159 09-12-2014 10:53 AM
Disc golf of golf courses: the future of disc golf? & Sequoyah State Park in Oklahoma Dan H. Disc Golf Courses 27 06-19-2013 12:21 PM
Par 72 Disc Golf? kfellmy General Disc Golf Chat 9 05-04-2012 10:38 PM
I don't understand Disc Golf Par Piqsid General Disc Golf Chat 88 06-29-2010 08:13 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.