Old 08-29-2019, 02:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

Reading these threads is the reason I no longer make any effort. If I come across a disc on the course, I don't even bother looking at it or picking it up.
I also don't bother inking anything either. If I lose it, it's gone. I have more.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 08-29-2019, 03:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 224 Times in 131 Posts

I lost one and got a text about two hours later saying it was hidden under the trash can by the practice basket, and that's what I'll probably do in the future...simple, and to the point without hassles for either party trying to meet for a return.

No ink goes on top of the basket of the hole I find it on. If someone else takes it, that's on them.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 323 Times in 162 Posts

I now think the best policy regarding all discs on a course is that which I learned as a young child, if it isn't yours, don't touch it.

Niced: (4)
Old 08-29-2019, 04:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 325
Niced 221 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
You mail it to the address on the license or yeah, drop it off at a bank branch. Or just leave it where you found it.

I get irritated if I lose a disc I really like. I get real irritated if I catch someone throwing it later and didn’t get a call. I really don’t think a quick call or text is unreasonable.
What if a non-DGer finds your disc, such as a park employee/volunteer who's cleaning up the park? Or a dog owner who gives it to his/her pet? The point being, expecting someone to call you back is a sense of entitlement and inward thinking.

If a disc is that important, then don't throw it. You lose 0% of the discs you don't throw.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-29-2019, 04:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
If you won’t, I will. In the day and age of cell phones if you don’t at least shoot a text saying “it’s at the dugout/under the trash can/etc” you’re a dick.
If you don't pay the person who finds your disc a fair rate ($30/hour, $50/hour, more?) for their time and effort, does that make you a dick too? Or do you only swing one way with your dick pointing?

Old 08-29-2019, 04:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 247
Niced 1,634 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
Please explain this logic. You've already assumed the disc is lost. Whether the disc remains buried in underbrush, at the bottom of a lake, or in someone else's bag, it's not in your possession. You'd rather it remain 'lost than having someone else throwing it?
Quote:
Using your logic, to what extent are you going to return a wallet? What if there’s no phone number? Are you walking into said person’s bank (assuming they have an ATM card) and hand it over? Or you just holding on to it? Or if you don’t exhaust every option, you’re a dick too?

The people who get bent out of shape over a lost disc and/or spend 3 hours searching are a type that I don’t understand. The other half don’t sweat the small stuff.
Quote:
What if a non-DGer finds your disc, such as a park employee/volunteer who's cleaning up the park? Or a dog owner who gives it to his/her pet? The point being, expecting someone to call you back is a sense of entitlement and inward thinking.

If a disc is that important, then don't throw it. You lose 0% of the discs you don't throw.
Quote:
If you don't pay the person who finds your disc a fair rate ($30/hour, $50/hour, more?) for their time and effort, does that make you a dick too? Or do you only swing one way with your dick pointing?
Bad parenting.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,520 Times in 693 Posts

Things I have found while playing or doing field work;
Baseballs
La cross balls
golf balls
Lil playmate cooler
lunchbox
folding chair
Barbie doll
numerous 40oz water bottles
towels
pair of cleats
backpack
nerf football
dog toys
dog leash
copious amounts of trash, F*&king slobs! (which I pick up because I carry a small garbage bag)

I kept the lacross ball because they are good for getting discs out of trees.

I didn't try to find the rightful owners of any of this stuff because there was no name on it. Most I picked up and threw out. I'm not going to worry about a $6 piece of plastic and don't think it warrants anymore value than any of the other pieces of crap I pick up. When did a disc become the holly grail of lost and found?

So if I find a disc and leave it in the basket, at least it might get back to it's owner or at least be re-thrown by someone else.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Bad parenting.
As opposed to the idea of being responsible and not losing your things? We can't all be hand-holding, won't-take-off-the-training-wheels libs.

Look, we all like when someone calls us back and returns a disc. It's happened to me all of two times in the 15 years I've been playing. I'm assuming the other 100 discs I've lost are all still sitting exactly where I threw them.

I've chucked plenty of lost discs back into the fairways of the holes they were found on. Because the moral of this thread is that those people are still looking for their discs. So might as well make it easier for them to find.

Last edited by DiscGolfCraig; 08-29-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:

I’m not expecting a call on every disc I have ever been unable to find. What if, what if, what if isn’t a great argument for not calling a fellow disc golfer about a disc. Just common courtesy, I call on discs I find, I am always happy when someone finds mine and calls. It’s respectful to other players, and builds good disc karma.

But you guys do you. Seems more of an entitled attitude to happen upon someone’s disc and think because you found it, you are entitled to take ownership of it. Finders keepers is some 3rd grade thinking.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 110
Niced 58 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Using your logic, to what extent are you going to return a wallet? What if there’s no phone number? Are you walking into said person’s bank (assuming they have an ATM card) and hand it over? Or you just holding on to it? Or if you don’t exhaust every option, you’re a dick too?

The people who get bent out of shape over a lost disc and/or spend 3 hours searching are a type that I don’t understand. The other half don’t sweat the small stuff.
About a year ago on Hole 1 at Hiller Park, I found a fold over Velcro type wallet...it was stuffed with cash, had nothing else in it, just a huge amount of cash...I didn't count it but fanned through it and it was a LOT of $100's and $50's....no type of ID, no phone number, no ATM card, nothing, just a wallet full of cash.....I put it in my bag, figuring someone would come looking for it.....got to Hole 8 and sure enough, a guy walks up to us and asks if we found a wallet on Hole 1....I could have lied and kept the money (it would have paid off my Discover card), except, I am not built that way, and I returned the wallet immediately (all cash still inside)....he offered me a pretty substantial reward, which I turned down, as I told him..." I don't need to be paid for doing the right thing".....

I have often wondered what would have happened if no one showed up looking for a wallet....what could I have done, to get it to it's rightful owner???? Had I left it there and a less than honest person found it, they would have pocketed that wallet and been gone....so I did not feel right about leaving it where I found it....fortunately I was not faced with that decision..... what would you do????