Old 09-02-2019, 07:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,130 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post

Imho it is important that a course is designed safely or it shouldn't be installed at all.
This bears repeating. IMHO, courses that bring non-players into play with any sort of predictability are irresponsibly designed.

WE know flight lines. WE know where discs are very likely, somewhat likely, and not that likely to go. WE need to design for that. WE can't depend on parks depts, land owners, and least of all, pedestrian traffic, to get it... in any way, shape, or form.

Using mandos and OB to mitigate that risk is rather foolhardy. They really don't protect people from players that fail to hit the intended line. And how many of us[I]always[I] hit our lines?

Tell the jogger that gets comes close to being Destroyed or Buzzed, "Gee, I'm really sorry about that... but it's OK.
I'm getting stroked for it."

If there's a reasonably foreseeable expectation that a disc could hit someone walking, hiking, bike path, ball field or court, the designer failed.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2019, 08:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,287 Times in 1,454 Posts

"Contrived" OB doesn't bother me, if well done. And by "well done", I mean, if it would be OK if the OB area were a pre-existing feature, then it's Ok to create it.

But small circles of OB, like golf sand traps, is another thing. Whether pre-existing features or created by ropes (etc.), they would treat very similar shots, in the fairway, differently, depending on whether the throw landed in or out. Like a kid's board game where you land on the wrong square and get punished. I have a hard time imagining a good use for these.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:45 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 112 Times in 45 Posts

Why punish good shots with a stroke penalty, more trees are needed if you stray of the fairway. you dont lose a stroke but you gotta get around it.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:59 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 54
Niced 8 Times in 3 Posts

So a dg course on a golf course should try to design holes away from bunkers/greens when possible and utilize other obstacles instead.
Is that how I should be interpreting that?

Old 09-03-2019, 03:02 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Maybe in small amounts like say one hole...otherwise it just gets gimmicky. Always better to use natural OB, if we wanted to throw frisbees in an open flat field we’d play ultimate...
Or Can Jam but using an ultimate disc, the Can Jam disc that comes with the game sucks. Or Guts with a lightweight Fastback in the 24.1 diameter size no heavier then 115 grams. Lastly play Double Disc Court. Those sports all need an open flat field to throw. Even Bottle Bash needs an open field using an ultimate dimension and weight disc.