Old 09-03-2019, 01:09 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 73 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perklc View Post
I'm officially on the Comet train now. I bought a Z Comet a few years ago and didn't like anything about it. Couldn't play much the last couple of years due to a few health issues, so trying to get back into it, I am finding my Buzzz's not being as trusty as I would like, so on a whim I got an ESP Comet. It flies beautifully, and I know I am not (yet) good enough to harness much of it's amazingness .

For those talking about X plastic, maybe I am an anomaly, but I have 3 discs in X plastic (a Buzzz, a Heat, and a Mantis) and they all feel like completely different plastics. The Buzzz is GStar-esque (which I love), the Mantis feels more like DX, and the Heat is a little in between.. like pro maybe? I'm hesitant to buy anything in X because of this experience.
Maybe someone with more knowledge can elaborate but I think Discraft has significantly changed their X plastic a few times. You were probably feeling X plastic from different blends of it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 292 Times in 191 Posts

I want Discraft to come out with a Fish Comet so bad. I have to resort to getting him to sign mine by hand

Niced: (2)
Old 09-03-2019, 03:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
I want Discraft to come out with a Fish Comet so bad. I have to resort to getting him to sign mine by hand
Yes he throws some beauties. I could have sworn he had a really nice one to save a 3 at PFDO 2018 on hole 18, but I can't remember which round. Final 9? 3rd? Other?

Oh well, it was after a tree kick and he put his 2nd shot right next to the pin. Check out that Disc Golf Examiner coverage. Always worth watching.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Niced 292 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Yes he throws some beauties. I could have sworn he had a really nice one to save a 3 at PFDO 2018 on hole 18, but I can't remember which round. Final 9? 3rd? Other?

Oh well, it was after a tree kick and he put his 2nd shot right next to the pin. Check out that Disc Golf Examiner coverage. Always worth watching.
Any of his filmed rounds at 2 Days in May has him throwing a TON of comets.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,514 Times in 692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthenchant3r View Post
Maybe someone with more knowledge can elaborate but I think Discraft has significantly changed their X plastic a few times. You were probably feeling X plastic from different blends of it.
Yeah, I love the X blend from a few years ago. I ordered two X-Comets this year that were very hard and slick. Hated them, tried beating one in a bit, still didn't tack up much, gave the other one away.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 932 Times in 509 Posts

My Comets are ace hunting. Hit the top of the cage over the weekend with my flippy X and banged chains in a mini yesterday evening with my max weight Z Glo. Been leaning on them lately with a stretch of light winds around here. I'll probably be disappointed if my first ace isn't with a Comet.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 98 Times in 56 Posts

I recently started relying on a comet more, since I don’t have the power to really take advantage of the versatility of the buzzz. I’m still in awe how easy it is to throw these things and how much they glide. I’m really loving my big z comet currently but I do also have a sparkle z ledgestone one I’m wanting to throw to compare them. They made really long upshots and shorter drives effortless
Old 09-06-2019, 11:14 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 215 Times in 142 Posts

Any word if they are going to make a production run of jawbreakers? Never got my hands on the limited run they did. Not a huge fan of the current X plastic, but love jawbreaker anything.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 415 Times in 304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
My Comets are ace hunting. Hit the top of the cage over the weekend with my flippy X and banged chains in a mini yesterday evening with my max weight Z Glo. Been leaning on them lately with a stretch of light winds around here. I'll probably be disappointed if my first ace isn't with a Comet.
My E-X is also ace hunting. It even found a way through a super crazy tight local route to park the basket. It's only a matter of time before I get one. Would be my 2nd ace, but first BH.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:02 PM

Years Playing: 34.8
Courses Played: 48
Niced 47 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
Any word if they are going to make a production run of jawbreakers? Never got my hands on the limited run they did. Not a huge fan of the current X plastic, but love jawbreaker anything.
You'll see above I was recently praising the Jawbreaker Comets . . . they do have a great turnover flight, but the durability is terrible. The one in my bag is a wavy warped disc after a month or two of use. I hit a few trees with it, but nothing out of the ordinary -- nothing that would have done any damage to my ESP Comets. My backup Jawbreaker (thrown around the yard a fair amount with maybe one or two light tree hits) also already has a wavy warped rim.

So IMO they shouldn't bother with a production run Jawbreaker Comet -- the durability stinks. Still flies okay for now . . . but I'll probably try to find something else to take its place because I don't like the feel/look of the warped disc. I did love the feel and flight of the Jawbreaker when it was brand new . . .

It's one thing the current Comet line lacks . . . a good grippy Comet . . . wish they would merge with Innova and offer a Gstar Comet. I'd be in heaven.