Old 09-11-2019, 07:33 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 220
Niced 163 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Thanks guys, even for the contradictory advice. It’s all good stuff to consider. Does look like I don’t have to worry about a headlamp tho.
Largely it depends on the course.

Personally, I always have a headlamp on and handy but don't use it unless I'm in dangerous terrain or for emergencies. No good having a headlamp for emergencies if you can't find your bag or get separated from it somehow.

Also in super thick woods/undergrowth sometimes as a last resort to find a lost disc, a headlamp can be a life saver.

Just use it judiciously and not during normal round conditions. Totally ruins night vision.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:55 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

They also make for headlamps some that have a green night vision mode for hunters/fisherman trying to find stuff or hunt/fish at legal times of 1/2 hour before or after sunset. That is worth looking into if they have the mode, some clip on to hat lights are green only and not good but the true sports/hunter headlamp with the night vision option is worth looking into.

Some runners like the Night Vision for events when the run often on trails is either at night or is a ultramarathon race on or off trails that running at night is a possibility.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Niced 2,130 Times in 1,058 Posts

Glow is great. You'd be surprised how well your eyes adjust as long as no one uses regular flashlights, and people keep headland dim/to a minimum.

It can be a ton of fun on wooded courses, and even courses with a decent amount of brushy growth, but....

IMO it's best on courses that don't have lost of debris, piles of sticks, fallen branches, an abundance of exposed stumps that stick up a few inches, or similar tripping hazards.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:10 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,379 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
...No good having a headlamp for emergencies if you can't find your bag or get separated from it somehow...
This brings up a good point. Something on/in your bag that keeps it visible but not lit up is nice. I have used something like this in the bottom of my bag. Just enough to not be staring into pitch black kicking myself for forgetting it wasn't daytime.

And Ogre, since I didn't mention it in my first post, I don't tape my putting putter. It's white though, and I putt better in the dark.

Last edited by tbird888; 09-11-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 316 Times in 115 Posts

-I might try one round with a white Wizard from my practice pile and a normal wizard with some glow tape to see which I like....although I hear Gateways glow plastic is one of the best out there and a superglow Wiz would be a nice excuse to buy some new plastic.

-I’ll probably bring one of my biking lights and carry it on me for emergencies. My headlamp lives at work with my work gear, I don’t really want to bring it to the course and risk losing it or forgetting it at home.

-unfortunately I don’t get any say in the course, both of our locals are heavily wooded with steep terrain. Lots of taking it slow and careful particularly on a couple of the steep fairways. We may cut out some of the gnarlier holes for glow, I’m not sure...

Last edited by R-Ogre; 09-11-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 34
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

-Glow putter is fun, but optional. You might have to use regular light to find it occasionally which kinda sucks for everyone’s night vision.

-Headlamp with red light on your wrist so it’s pointed down by default for when you actually need it, keep it off unless you need it, but your eyes will adjust quickly. Don’t be that guy with it on your head, always blinding everyone when you turn to talk to them.

-Vibram has the best glow, but the new Innova color glow works well too. Can ‘pre charge’ it by leaving it out of your bag while the sun is still out (but not in direct sunlight).

-Don’t play in a full moon, washes out any glow making it near impossible to find anything. Best is just after or before a new moon when there’s a bit of light to see but doesn’t wash out the glow of the discs.

-We play on a 9 hole course before/during sunset with our glow discs so they ‘charge’ under natural light and leave a glow stick on each basket. I Have a bag that can fully close (no light bleed to blind others) with a UV light it in to charge discs between throws. We play the second lap as it gets dark ....basically a ‘day-glow’ round.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:24 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 360
Niced 726 Times in 253 Posts

There's no one right way to do glow. I do advice having a regular flashlight on hand, but try only to use it in if all else fails situations. They screw up your (and everyone else's) night vision.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 142
Niced 211 Times in 93 Posts

I'm at Wild Haven a lot (Manton, MI) and we have a blast playing at night. Wildman has all his baskets equipped with solar lights that harness sunlight during the day and light up the baskets at dark.

I love the LED's applied underneath transparent/translucent Discs with clear packing tape. It's easier to find them at night in the rough than it is during the day. Way easier. So long as they're new-ish, they're pretty bright too. Champion/Z plastic really helps. I make sure there's plenty of tape to ensure the light doesn't fall off. I think there's an Etsy store that sells 10 of them for like $15.

I have my headlamp on for traversing some of the very hilly terrain there. We don't worry about any aerodynamic changes to Discs or anything like that. It's far from sanctioned play, after all. Usually we've got the Blue Oyster Cult tunes cranked up and we're just out there having a royal blast. That's what it's all about.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:17 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 320 Times in 191 Posts

do you HAVE to play Blue Oyster Cult? asking for a friend.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 142
Niced 211 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
do you HAVE to play Blue Oyster Cult? asking for a friend.
"I Love the Night"