Old 03-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokirising View Post
How about Nerf getting in on the knock off action?
This is one of my biggest fears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnelle View Post
oops is it affect or effect. Can never remember that one.
Effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discmeister View Post
It would change things if Innova or Discraft were bought out by a large corporation rather than try to compete with them.
I see this scenario as going two possible ways. Big pockets from a buyout could allow for all plastic options in all molds so we don't have to compromise our choices, or stingy pockets cutting quality too much that the product suffers. I'd rather not take the chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo1 View Post
for a few dollars more
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 327
Niced 244 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo1 View Post
They've changed the game...it might be hard to recognize how it has changed. I've been playing for a long time...but I went from 1994 till 2006 where I played once or twice a year when I visited Minnesota and played with friends I grew up with. I would say I was 'seriously' involved in the sport from 1989 - 1994 and then again beginning in 2006.

While it might be hard to see how small changes in technology effected the sport, over time, yeah...my first new disc in 12 years was the Wraith. I remember playing the course in Estherville, IA and bombing that DX Wraith on hole 7 (420', slightly down hill) and getting a birdie. My longest disc before that was a Scorpion or Viper...and I wasn't getting in range to birdie that hole...or a few others in the area.

Also the change in plastics made a big difference. Don't buy a new disc for any reason for a dozen years and then try out what's new in 2023 and I beat there will be a difference.

The quality of play compared to even just a few years ago is amazing. Players are getting better. It is easy to see if you just watch.

well, sure after 12 years!
i don't mean to trivialize the impact disc technology has made in the past 10 or 20 years, that has certainly changed the game. but the latest high speed driver has not. most people can't throw a boss or nuke that much further than a speed 9 or 10 disc. and with the PDGA limits on rim width, that avenue of disc development is pretty much over. i don't think we'll see new discs that are that much faster than what's available now.

players are getting better indeed. that is what i meant. it is already happening and that is the future of disc golf. the bar will keep getting raised and the level of ability in the pro division will keep getting pushed higher.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 38
Niced 7 Times in 1 Post

"What's in your bag, Nikko"?

"Oh, just some plastic I picked up at Wal-mart".

The big retailers are fantastically shrewd, and have the buying power to take risks and lose on them. They also always turn a profit with their much bigger picture. It's why they're big.

Discs, or any product, have a way of finding the right buyer. A newcomer will spend little, and on inferior products, then will learn to buy smarter as his (her) interest grows. I don't believe there's even a slight risk that good discs will get washed away by a high volume of crap plastic sold by a big retailer. A retailer is interested in what sells and that's about it.

I would note, however, that the giant Dick's Sporting Goods that is scant miles from a great DG course has not yet gotten the notion. Once the big outlets get in the game more, the online DG-specific guys might feel a pinch.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 42
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillGrrr View Post
I would note, however, that the giant Dick's Sporting Goods that is scant miles from a great DG course has not yet gotten the notion. Once the big outlets get in the game more, the online DG-specific guys might feel a pinch.
I was at a Dick's today and saw a whole display of Innova discs. They wanted $15.99 for champion plastic and $8.99 for DX. They're also at least 35 minutes away from the nearest course--I'm not sure who they're trying to sell their discs to.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 18
Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
in short, disc golf doesn't need better discs. it needs better players.
I agree to a point. I wouldn't go as far as saying the top pros need to get better. What I would like to see is high-quality teaching of disc golf penetrate throughout the country. I've taken a lesson or two from Feldberg and Climo when they were in town for the Atlanta Open, and I've bought their instructional DVD, but that can only take you so far. The difference between the availability of private (or group) disc golf lessons and private ball golf or tennis lessons is HUGE. Until you see some sort of "disc golf academy," or until you start seeing the local guy selling discs out the back of his truck start selling lessons as well, it's going to be hard for most people to advance without just starting with a good natural throw and figuring the rest out for themselves. If you happen to be personal friends with a touring pro, consider yourself lucky, because most of the rest of us don't have that kind of access.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I think quite a bit of the worry about big name companies starting to make stinky discs and taking over the market is unneeded. The people who play disc golf can be divided into two groups: serious and not serious. Most (if not all) of the people on this site would qualify as serious. The serious players are going to be the ones who know a lot about different discs and about pros and about tournaments, and they are going to carry what the pros carry because that's what sports people do. They try to be as much like pros as they can. Most of the people who play disc golf are going to be serious about it, and if the people who don't ever really get into the game only carry a Wham-O driver and a WalMart putter...

Who cares??