Old 02-23-2016, 08:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 100 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
Decided to pick up some gold sparkle rivals on a whim, just arrived today but of course it rained cats and dogs so I'm stuck at home with two identical gold sparkles at 175 grams with some dome on them and somewhat stiff.

Anyone know how they fly? Looking to fill the missing Slightly OS slot in the bag that can handle a headwind. Have Resistors for Super OS and Patriots for straight and flippy slots.
I also picked up a couple gold sparkle rivals recently - they were on sale at Infinite. I was pretty surprised (and disappointed, honestly) when I saw how much dome they have. I currently bag a silver sparkle rival that is board flat. It flies nice straight for me with a predictable fade, even into a pretty decent wind. It compliments my patriots perfectly.

I haven't had a chance to throw either of the gold ones yet, and I am wondering how much the dome will change the flight. I would assume more glide, but not sure on stability. I was really, really tempted to try flattening them a bit. I usually don't like domey discs.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2016, 09:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 65
Niced 27 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinum View Post
I also picked up a couple gold sparkle rivals recently - they were on sale at Infinite. I was pretty surprised (and disappointed, honestly) when I saw how much dome they have. I currently bag a silver sparkle rival that is board flat. It flies nice straight for me with a predictable fade, even into a pretty decent wind. It compliments my patriots perfectly.

I haven't had a chance to throw either of the gold ones yet, and I am wondering how much the dome will change the flight. I would assume more glide, but not sure on stability. I was really, really tempted to try flattening them a bit. I usually don't like domey discs.
I got them from infinite as well, yeah the dome is pretty surprising but don't mind it that much.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
I got them from infinite as well, yeah the dome is pretty surprising but don't mind it that much.
I am glad the dome doesn't bug you! I will wait to actually throw them before I really pass judgment, though. Who knows, maybe the dome will give them a little extra beef. That would be ideal, and a slightly more beefy rival might actually make it into my bag.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:45 AM
*Legalize It*

Courses Played: 51
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

fwiw i have a few domey rivals in my bag.. not crazy domey but a domey,gummy pearly, pinnacle and a domey gunmetal legend and both are beefy for me or at least beefy enough.. the gunmetal is the most overstable rival i have thrown and i love it so!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian. View Post
fwiw i have a few domey rivals in my bag.. not crazy domey but a domey,gummy pearly, pinnacle and a domey gunmetal legend and both are beefy for me or at least beefy enough.. the gunmetal is the most overstable rival i have thrown and i love it so!
Good to know, and that sounds promising!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 18
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinum View Post
I am glad the dome doesn't bug you! I will wait to actually throw them before I really pass judgment, though. Who knows, maybe the dome will give them a little extra beef. That would be ideal, and a slightly more beefy rival might actually make it into my bag.
With my Teebirds, more dome usually means more understable. Would this not be the case with the Rival as well? Funny how flat is the opposite in stability in fairways vs. distance drivers and I include Firebirds in the fairway category(YMMV).
Old 02-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 86
Niced 286 Times in 153 Posts

I'm glad someone pointed out that sale at infinite. I picked up a heavy Sparkle Outlaw, it flies exactly like I was hoping. Good wind fighter without being crazy overstable. The grip of that plastic is amazing!
Old 02-24-2016, 04:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 132 Times in 93 Posts

I want to try out a Ghost since I found out it is so similar to the Roc. I currently throw a fairly fresh 12X KC Roc and it is my favorite Roc having tried out regular DX, Star Roc3 and a flat top DX.

Which plastic of Ghost is going to fly the most like that Roc? Are Ghosts completely flat topped or a little domey?
Old 02-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
I'm glad someone pointed out that sale at infinite. I picked up a heavy Sparkle Outlaw, it flies exactly like I was hoping. Good wind fighter without being crazy overstable. The grip of that plastic is amazing!
I too like the feel/grip of the Sparkle. Technically, isn't it supposed to be just Icon Sparkle? But my Prowler and Nemesis in Sparky feel different than any of the Icons I own, it's also somewhat stiffer plastic (most noticeable when I twist and bend the Sparky Prowler vs Icon Hunter).

Old 02-24-2016, 04:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 30 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
I want to try out a Ghost since I found out it is so similar to the Roc. I currently throw a fairly fresh 12X KC Roc and it is my favorite Roc having tried out regular DX, Star Roc3 and a flat top DX.

Which plastic of Ghost is going to fly the most like that Roc? Are Ghosts completely flat topped or a little domey?
Ghosts gene really have a dome comparable to a KC Roc, but there are some that are flatter. IMO the ones with some are the good ones. Try a Protege Ghost. They are the bomb.