Old 06-17-2014, 11:19 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,280 Times in 864 Posts
Default Why everyone with kids should teach them to disc golf

My 10-year old daughter came out to play league with me tonight in the 90+ degree heat. She has never played more than 9 holes before. She made it through 12 before she was beat and her mom came and picked her up.

She is homeschooled so she has no bedtime and usually goes to bed around 11. She went to bed at 8:30 and was out cold when I checked on her at 9:00.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Playing with you does sound exhausting.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Banned

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

ITT:

Teach your progeny DG so they go to bed earlier.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:06 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 31
Niced 339 Times in 126 Posts

Much more PC than chaining your kids to a treadmill.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:28 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
My 10-year old daughter came out to play league with me tonight in the 90+ degree heat. She has never played more than 9 holes before. She made it through 12 before she was beat and her mom came and picked her up.

She is homeschooled so she has no bedtime and usually goes to bed around 11. She went to bed at 8:30 and was out cold when I checked on her at 9:00.
Good to see another homeschool family on here. My 10 y/o daughter (51 lbs)just went with us for the first time on Sunday and Monday and rips off a 130 ft shot for her first drive. She was doing par 3 courses in 6 (with a best of 5 and a few 7 & 8's thrown in)....she was good for 9, and I asked if she wanted to go with mom when she picked up our 4 y/o and she said no...you could tell around 13-14 that she was done physically and mentally as her concentration lapsed. My 15 y/o son would live on the course and gets upset if we have to stop without doing a 3rd round (I am done physically after 2). Great family time, unfortunately my wife and 17 y/o so have not bee bitten by the bug...time will tell.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 53 Times in 24 Posts

We homeschool our boys also (ages 4 and 7) and I took the oldest out for his first full round at my home course this week on a hot and humid day while the younger one tagged along and threw occasionally. We got the same results, they usually stay up until 10 or so but that night they were out cold by 9. It was pretty nice.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 68 Times in 54 Posts

I don't know if I will ever have kids, but if I do they will have discs in their hands by the time they are 3.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:43 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,280 Times in 864 Posts

There was no course here when we moved here; my kids were nine and six when it went in. My oldest had discs by then; we had made up an object course and thrown some. So they were both probably six or seven when they started playing. The oldest was 12 when she started making it around for 18. The youngest one has the disc golf build, though. She is tall and lanky. She has a prettier throw, nice and smooth. Both my oldest daughter and I torque the crapola out of our discs and get that OAT flutter, but my youngest gets a nice release. She might be good one day is she decides she wants to play.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 168
Niced 161 Times in 97 Posts

My son just turned 2. He was out on the course, in the stroller, for the first time when he was 6 days old. There are a few downsides that we've noticed so far:

-He wants a disc (or two) to hold while we're playing. He doesn't always want to trade when I want to throw the one he's holding. Today he carried my putter for the entire round. I had to use my wife's Banger GT instead of an SSS Voodoo.

-He no longer will stay in the stroller for a full round. He wants to play. So he'll stand at the front of the teepad and take a ton of practice swings (backhand) before throwing a 15-20' forehand.

-He wants to bring discs in the house and doesn't realize how dangerous they can be. He hit our TV with a Champ Teebird. Now only minis are allowed in the house.

-He nailed a neighbor girl (3) with the same Teebird, full force, in the face, from 5' away. I was so worried she was really hurt. You should have heard her screaming. Thankfully she was fine, not even a mark the next day.

So while I'm glad my son loves DG as much as I do, there have been a few drawbacks.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 292
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

I have four boys, currently 18, 16, 9 and 3 years old. I've been playing with them for the past 6 years. Being children of the current world, having a family activity out of doors that unplugs them from their phones, tablets, game consoles, etc. is priceless to me. Getting to share these environments, and the quiet hours spent there with my boys makes me grateful for discovering this game.
We've travelled to 6 different states and played something like 82 courses together, my elder 2 sons and I. My 16 year old out drives me by almost 100 feet and my 18 year old putts like its a mutant power. So that can be annoying.
Interestingly,this spring has seen my 9 yr old come into his form, suddenly he's driving 180 or so and flick rollers touching 250. It wasn't the case last year.
The 3 year old asks daily to go "throw golf discs". He cannot have anything but minis in the house.

If you have kids, take them out. See if it sticks. Even if they play with rocks and sticks, get them out there.