Old 02-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 28.5
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Wizard question?

Are Evo wizards more stable than say a ss wizard? Or is there a version that's more overstable than a ss? I'm looking to get away from kc aviars and already putt with wizards.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2015, 04:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 240
Niced 346 Times in 174 Posts

Evo Wizards have less low speed glide than an SS and are more resistant to being beat in than an SS. Whether or not that makes them more stable is probably debatable. It would be easier to say yes if the SS was lighter than the Evo Wizard
Old 02-16-2015, 04:11 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 528
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts

All discs equal and fresh off the shelf, maybe slightly. Most of the Evo's I've had seem to have a slightly deeper shoulder, which may be the culprit. It's certainly not a huge difference, though. The HPP I have is definitely more OS, though.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:25 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 62
Niced 101 Times in 70 Posts

Gateway does more significant things than plastic changes to change stabilities.

I got a proto Wizard with a soup can (I think) tooling. It was mad overstable. It's very flat topped, too.

I hear "puffy" Wizards are very overstable. (Inner rim is puffed out. Opposite of a + style rim)

There's probably some Evo, OS cooled, some tooling, puffy Wizard out there that acts like an FAF Firebird.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 86
Niced 281 Times in 149 Posts

In my experience, E wizards have been LESS stable than S wizards. A good Soft wizard has pretty much always been my main thrower.

If you're looking for an overstable wizard with similar feel to your KC Pro Aviar, look at a Fossil Scale. Way more overstable though.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 122
Niced 557 Times in 343 Posts

Fresh SS Wizards and Evo Wizards have roughly the same stability, but Evos show a touch less glide.

If you want an overstable disc with a Wizard-like shape you should consider the Reptilian Disc Golf Scale.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 44
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Fresh SS Wizards and Evo Wizards have roughly the same stability, but Evos show a touch less glide.
I prefer to carry a fresh S-Type Wizard over the Evolution. For the reason stated above. I also prefer the tacky base line plastic.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wifes evo has a champy-star look and feel to it, super tough, and hasn't broken in much. Feels and looks just like a beefy S, but flies a lot more neutral, pretty close hss, but less fade. sample size of one tho.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 209
Niced 305 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
In my experience, E wizards have been LESS stable than S wizards. A good Soft wizard has pretty much always been my main thrower.

If you're looking for an overstable wizard with similar feel to your KC Pro Aviar, look at a Fossil Scale. Way more overstable though.
Your experience is dated The old Evo Wizards (I still have a couple) were a bit less high speed stable so they were easy to get glide out of.

The Evo runs the last few years had less glide at low speeds, as Butlertron pointed out. You really had to crank on them to get them to fly any respectable distance until they beat in.

My main driving Wizard currently in the bag is a puffy Wizard. I didn't pick it out because of the puffy rim, I just liked how the plastic felt. Didn't even realize it was puffy until later. There isn't really any flight difference between it and any of my other Wizards.

My last turnover Wizard was a very flat Wizard that started out on the overstable side compared to most Wizards but lots it's high speed stability a lot faster than the rest so it only lasted 2 years before I took it out of the bag.

I guess to answer your question - it depends on the run But generally the glide and durability are the only things that change with the Evo plastic. Not the stability.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 198 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

If you want an overstable disc with a Wizard-like shape you should consider the Reptilian Disc Golf Scale.
For sure. The Armor Scale is a blend of Evo that is spectacular.

The best bet for Wizards is to just call the warehouse. They are really good about answering questions and picking out the Wizards you want as long as you order a few. They've even been known to Skype a customer so said customer can see exactly what they are getting. They'll be honest with you about what the most OS Wizards they have are.