Old 06-23-2015, 10:53 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,252 Times in 854 Posts
Default Working Stiff's Bag

OK, so...my bag thread is/was on Disc Golf Review. DGR is pretty much dead and keeps going 404 on us, so I'm going to move the bag thread over here. I just don't want to lose the info from the other thread, so I'm going to do some copy/paste to recreate the thread here. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do that yet, and it's not going to happen all at once.

Basically if the post says something about 2008, don't comment since it really is a post from 2008 that I'm moving. It will probably take a few weeks before I get everything moved over and up to date.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Three Putt; 06-24-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:55 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:22 am

(2) Evolution Infernos, 170g
Understable Driver
(1) Beat 150 Class Tournament Cyclone, 147g
Moderately Overstable Driver
(2) DX Banshees, 164-165g
Very Overstable Driver
Weenie-arms don't need very overstable drivers
Mids:
(3) DX Rocs, 172-174g
(2) Sentinel MFs (Millennium plastic), 176-177g
Putters:
(2) DX Small Bead Aviar Putt & Approach,172g
(1) Omega AP 1.3 (same thing as a small bead, different name) 174g
(2) DX Big Bead Aviar (grid stamp) 172g
(1) 9X KC Pro Aviar...I never throw it, I just keep it in the bag to make new guys jealous. :P
Old 06-23-2015, 10:57 PM
*Super Moderator*

Re: Working Stiff's Bag
Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Weenie-arms don't need very overstable drivers
I know it. To some people a TeeRex isn't overstable enough. XCaliber? No thanks.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:59 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:25 am

I've just found that the Banshee at the speed that it is can handle all the jobs I need an overstable discs to do. I wish I had the arm to need a pig, but I don't.

I also don't have the arm to throw something as fast as an Inferno. I really need to back down to a Valk in that slot, as I don't get very much more D out of an Inferno and it is much less predictable. All my Valks are Champ for some reason; I need to get some in DX and put them in the bag.

I have more Aviars in my bag than I need, but my bag has a bunch of putter pockets so I keep them full. I end up using them to practice before the round, so I guess no harm.

It basically the same set-up I've had since '96. I traded X-Clones for Banshees and added KC Rocs as a more stable mid in '98. A few years ago I added a high-speed D slot and replaced the KC Rocs with Sentinels. I replace Cyclones with Gazelles in the winter when it is windy sometimes.

I also replaced Rocs with Comets for a while, but I plead temporary insanity. :P
Old 06-23-2015, 11:01 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:05 p

Well I haven't thrown a Banshee, but looking at Joe's Flight Chart it looks plenty overstable for a headwind and utility driver. Only thing I would say is that with just DX plastic you might be missing the opportunity for some good skip shots that work better with candy plastic.

Also I think the KC Aviar is your best putter. You don't throw it??

Are the grid stamped aviars the full big bead? I have only seen those with the shaved bead I think. Pretty sweet if there are DX aviars with a full bead out there.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:03 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:01 am

The KC needs to come out of my bag. When I'd pick it up I'd start looking around for an excuse NOT to throw it so I wouldn't loose it. It was distracting, so now I just don't grab it. It's cool, though...it's got the old circle KC stamp, dimple, it flies perfect. I just spend too much time worrying about loosing it rather than just throwing it. Damn boutique disc!

The DX grid stamps are big beads, so I've got a nice alternative to the KC. I use the shaved beads for distance; I can put some hyzer on them and they flatten out and glide farther than I can push a big bead. I use the big bead for putting. That's opposite of how they were marketed, but thats how they work for me.

You have a good point about skip shots. I can replace the Infernos with a couple DX Valks and a couple Champ Valks. I'll have room in the bag when I finally take that KC Aviar out. The Champ Banshee is too much of a pig for me, and the Z Cyclone blows, so the Champ Valk would be the best option for a usable disc for me in candy plastic without adding another mold.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:04 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
I've just found that the Banshee at the speed that it is can handle all the jobs I need an overstable discs to do. I wish I had the arm to need a pig, but I don't.
IMO, the Banshee is one of the best overstable drivers for "weenie arms." It seems to rely more on rim configuration than speed for its overstability. That seems to make it more predictable and controlable than using a really fast disc without really sacrificing much distance.

It looks to me like you've spent the time to choose the best discs for you.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:06 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador
IMO, the Banshee is one of the best overstable drivers for "weenie arms." It seems to rely more on rim configuration than speed for its overstability. That seems to make it more predictable and controlable than using a really fast disc without really sacrificing much distance..
Can we make that a new "best of" category?

Best overstable disc for people who have no business throwing an overstable disc: DX Innova Banshee.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:07 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:22 pm

You've probably thrown whippets before? Why the banshee over the whippet? They seem to be similar discs to me with the whippet being a touch slower and easier to control for me.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:08 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by the invisible tree
You've probably thrown whippets before? Why the banshee over the whippet? They seem to be similar discs to me with the whippet being a touch slower and easier to control for me.
Just for me, the Whippet would go into a turn faster than a Banshee. Whippets ARE very consistent, but for me they are consistently short and to the left.

Also from my experience for that general speed of discs, the Banshee and X-Clone were head and shoulders above the Viper and Whippet as a forehand disc. I was able to execute more shots with the Banshee. I did know guys who threw the Whippet with great success, but most of those guys had guns.