Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Stable Control Drivers
Gazelles
Distance Drivers
Valkyries
Understable Driver
Thrashed Gazelles
Moderately Overstable Driver
...not carrying a moderatly overstable driver.
Very Overstable Driver
Banshee
Mids:
Comets VS Rocs
Overstable Mids
Neither
Putters:
Aviar VS Wizard VS Magnet
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2015, 11:24 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,279 Times in 864 Posts

Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltik
Stiffy how far are your average drives?
In what seemed like a previous lifetime it was around 300.' The last few months has been more like 250.'

My form is shot. I probably screwed up trying to throw Apaches and SL's and other drivers I know I can't throw. Basically it's a roller coaster. Work on my form and get the Cyclone out to 300', start to think I can throw a driver like a grown-up, mess around with faster drivers, screw up my form and end up throwing the faster drivers short of where I was throwing my mid. I guess I should get rid of them, just stick with a Cyclone or Gazelle for Max D. It ain't any fun, but it is what it is.

So I started by stripping the bag down to just a few discs. I've been trying to throw the Comets and Aviars and forget the drivers, but it's not really working. I have not been able to get a Comet to do anything for weeks. The Aviars are OK, the Cyclones are OAT fluttering like mad, and the TeeBird is hooking like Lindsey Lohan on a Vegas weekend. That's pretty much everything in the bag right now. The last time I worked with the Comets and got my form back, but this time I'm frustrated as Hell with them and just want them to go away.

I'm just going to forget golf and go throw some plastic in field and see if I can't work out what is wrong. I guess I've talked myself out of throwing drivers again. It sucks, the last new driver I could actually throw came out 15 years ago. There hasn't been a new driver I could get to do anything since the Cheetah. Not being able to throw any of the new plastic sucks, but I guess not throwing it beats what I'm doing now.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:26 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:12 am

Quote:
I'm just going to forget golf and go throw some plastic in field and see if I can't work out what is wrong. I guess I've talked myself out of throwing drivers again. It sucks, the last new driver I could actually throw came out 15 years ago. There hasn't been a new driver I could get to do anything since the Cheetah. Not being able to throw any of the new plastic sucks, but I guess not throwing it beats what I'm doing now.
I think thats a really good idea. Throwing discs in a field lets you focus on throwing much more. You dont have to worry getting it close to the basket, hitting that specific line to get there and so on.

Whenever I throw a couple of pisspoor rounds, I try to get myself to stop playing rounds for the time being and just do fieldwork instead. And there are several advantages to it. First of all, my game just improves faster from fieldwork. Whether Im just practicing 50meter upshots or trying to throw long bombs. And the other reasone is, that I think its a blast to 'just' huck discs. There doesnt need to be a basket for me to enjoy throwing discs.

Now the only trouble for me is, that I have a hard time translating my nice throwing technique to throwing on the course. But atm. Im attributing it to the amount of snow on the ground, or the wind that suddenly came up, or.... :wink:

So I say, yea go to a field and forget about scores and throw some discs. It will be much easier to diagnose and make adjustments to your throw.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:27 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:42 am

Your bag and mine are fairly similar, although I didn't get along with the Comet.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on that overstable slot. My D is around yours and for overstable discs I throw either a Wasp or Firebird. Can you actually get anything useful out of a Predator or Firebird? I usually end up just throwing the Wasp, but I feel weird not carrying an overstable driver.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:29 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:40 pm

I'd get an Ion and play some one disc rounds. That disc has worked miracles on my form. My X Cyclone literally hurts my hand to grip it, can't stand it at all.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:30 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beable
Your bag and mine are fairly similar, although I didn't get along with the Comet.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on that overstable slot. My D is around yours and for overstable discs I throw either a Wasp or Firebird. Can you actually get anything useful out of a Predator or Firebird? I usually end up just throwing the Wasp, but I feel weird not carrying an overstable driver.
Really I hear the hype around Predators and Firebirds and try to throw one or the other every couple of years. At 300' I get everything I need from a Banshee. I really don't need a Firebird or Predator.

I'm starting to change my tune a bit on the TeeBird, though. I used to use the Banshee for a headwind driver as well as for forehands and such. I think I might have the hang of the TeeBird for drives that I need to make sure don't flip. I still like the Banshee better as a forehand driver, so I might have to carry both. I used to insist that I didn't need a disc between a Cyclone and a Banshee, but the TeeBird is a longer, straighter disc into the wind than a Banshee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave
My X Cyclone literally hurts my hand to grip it, can't stand it at all.
You big baby with your China doll hands. It hasn't hurt my hand a bit. Other than being black it's a nice X Cyclone.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:33 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:28 am

If you want a newer distance driver, what about a Roadrunner or an Avenger-SS? Those discs have wing shapes that provide some pretty magic glide, and I've seen them fly better for distance at low power than any other discs.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:34 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed
If you want a newer distance driver, what about a Roadrunner or an Avenger-SS? Those discs have wing shapes that provide some pretty magic glide, and I've seen them fly better for distance at low power than any other discs.
I always assumed that they would be pretty bitchy and unpredictable. I figured any distance gain would be offset by the fact that I'd have no clue where it was going. I suppose I could give it a shot, what have I got to loose?
Old 06-23-2015, 11:35 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:28 am

Understable != unpredictable. With your distances I also think you should give the faster understable plastic a chance.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:36 PM
*Super Moderator*

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:05 am

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed
I always assumed that they would be pretty bitchy and unpredictable. I figured any distance gain would be offset by the fact that I'd have no clue where it was going. I suppose I could give it a shot, what have I got to loose?
Sounds like it would be fun at the least. I'd try a Star Roadrunner...try and get one in the mid to high 160s. Those discs have the most flight for the least speed throw that I've ever seen.