Old 02-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 202 Times in 141 Posts
Default Ballista

Haven't heard smack about this disc. I know it is super new.

For those of you who bought the expensive first run snow line you probably didn't throw it. What a beautiful wall disc. I forked out some dough and bought two.

One went right to collector bin still shrink wrapped. I unwrapped the other, made a few tosses then it became a wall hanger. It seemed to be pretty badass kind of like a king. Maybe even longer.

So who has been tossing this one around to report?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 78 Times in 42 Posts

love the ballista. great plastic, smooth flight. plastic feels as soft as gstar at the pinchpoint without the disc being as floppy overall. longest stable disc in my bag by far
Old 02-04-2016, 01:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 4
Niced 202 Times in 141 Posts

Is that snowline plastic or the new run stuff (opto).

If it is the snowline, yes, that plastic is like a wet dream for colder weather.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 53
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

Opto is definitely more flippy than the snow line. It's not as understable as a king or bolt though, and it goes fast. I've had some really long throws with it- but it needs room to work. I'm still getting used to all the different angles to put it on for golf lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (105.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 02-04-2016, 02:49 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 34 Times in 24 Posts

I liked my Snow Line Ballista a TON! However, I have no interest in getting an Opto, because knowing Trilogy's history with first run opto stuff proceding a fluid/snow release, the are always WAY more undestable. The Sampo being a prime example.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 65
Niced 115 Times in 85 Posts

I tried an Opto the other day. I was surprised how far right it ran without flipping too far over. It barely came back at all at the end, released 20 degrees hyzer.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:45 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tested out the opto ballista yesterday in some winds and I found it to have an almost identical flight to my most stable kings, possibly a suggestion for those people looking for the decodye kings that are so sought after. However, the opto ballista I had was definitely less overstable than my decodye ballista in snow line, though not a huge amount less stable. The one I have is opaque dayglow yellow, max weight (in my experience with trilogy opto, VIP, lucid plastic opaque yellows, whites and dayglows are the most stable). I am interested to try a lighter one (though I am not going to purposefully purchase one) and see if there is much difference.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 177
Niced 118 Times in 73 Posts

Instantly fell in love with the disc and have two more on the way to bring my total to five. I also have a Frost coming as well to see if it will be that different. Now, it is winter here which means I know it will behave a little different in the summer air, plus I have less of a run-up because of less than ideal teepads, but I have really liked what I have seen so far.

It is not as understable as people have been talking about. It definitely turns a little, especially if I give it a little OAT because of the winter, but it always comes out of nicely at least 60 to 70% of the flight later, meaning that it will land on the line I intended. I am not necessarily noticing additional distance, but I am hitting my 400 easier. Hopefully that will translate into a little more distance once the winter finally decides to give us a few weeks of reprieve before it starts up again for the 2016-2017 season.

It is a little wider (2.4cm) than I have become accustomed to (2.1cm Trespasses). That is taking some getting used to. Right now I am having difficulties trying to hit line-drives straight ahead. However, when I can just let them rip, it is almost effortless to get what I was considering good to great drives out of my Trespass.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 177
Niced 118 Times in 73 Posts

Hopefully people have started throwing theirs and can give some feedback.

1) Do the colors make a difference? Specifically, do clear colors versus opaque affect glide, speed, or stability? In the past, I have found in Trilogy discs that Lucid/ Opto/ VIP plastic that is opaque have a tendency to be closer to the stable side (if inherently understable they are more stable, if inherently overstable, they are closer to true stable) but have better glide. Conversely, I have found clearer Lucid/ Opto/ VIP to have more LSS, a touch less speed and glide, but are more predictable especially once seasoned. I have two that are translucent, a yellow that is fairly opaque, and a new unthrown white that is in between the two with plenty of opaque swirls throughout the flight plate.

2) Is there is a huge difference in stability in regards to weight? Most of my new Ballistas are falling in the 170-174. I do not feel comfortable going lighter than that. I rarely had an issue with Innova discs in the high 160s, but Trilogy seemed to be a different story. The more nose-sensitive the disc was, the more it was uncontrollable in the lighter weights. I loved the River but I could only throw the 176+ range. Anything under 168 was a completely different disc. I prefer low to mid 170s right now; no reason to go super-heavy.

Right now my opaque yellow 170g is my best thrower; a touch of turn, healthy enough fade to come back without losing forward distance, and a ton of glide especially low to the ground. The 174g almost clear red comes in second. I am still sitting on a muted red (not quite clear but definitely not opaque) 172g, a swirly white 174g, and a Frost that should be arriving any day.