Old 07-12-2016, 11:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 220 Times in 95 Posts
Default Should the Pro Tour reevaluate its live coverage?

Views were low this weekend on the livestream. I wrote a piece for Ultiworld Disc Golf with suggestions to fix it, but I'm curious to see what you all think...

http://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/0...live-coverage/

Any and all feedback welcome. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 13
Niced 106 Times in 73 Posts

Excellent article and some great suggestions.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,171 Times in 547 Posts

They need to do better promotion if they want larger numbers.

I'm not sure what avenues would be best, but that's the starting point.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 98 Times in 47 Posts

A few thoughts, fwiw:

*For those familiar with the technical and budgetary difficulties the broadcast quality is passable, but to attract more than just the most dedicated fans the broadcast must improve significantly. This is mentioned a lot, but it remains the biggest obstacle, imo.

*The production quality and time investment is much more attractive for edited videos. I often avoid or even unfollow DG media on Twitter during an event to avoid spoilers. I'd rather wait and watch a finished product than stumble through the poor streams that we see for 4 hours.

*There are too many tours and competing interests right now. Again, for those in the know it all makes sense, but to the casual viewer it is confusing to determine the hierarchy and relative importance of the tours.

*The marketing for these events is baffling sometimes. Even when I know an event is being covered by SB, there can still be some confusion about finding links. I see it here almost every event. "How do I find the stream?" Far from making it easy for viewers, they make consumers work too hard to find content. It should be shouted from the mountaintops where to find the stream and at what time.

*Maybe after all this, we should find a better analogy than ball golf for televised DG. Perhaps a more fitting analogy at this point is bowling, a sport people love to play, but aren't that interested to watch. Cynical and probably incorrect, but a possibility anyway.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 34
Niced 344 Times in 216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowie View Post
A few thoughts, fwiw:

*For those familiar with the technical and budgetary difficulties the broadcast quality is passable, but to attract more than just the most dedicated fans the broadcast must improve significantly. This is mentioned a lot, but it remains the biggest obstacle, imo.

*The production quality and time investment is much more attractive for edited videos. I often avoid or even unfollow DG media on Twitter during an event to avoid spoilers. I'd rather wait and watch a finished product than stumble through the poor streams that we see for 4 hours.

*There are too many tours and competing interests right now. Again, for those in the know it all makes sense, but to the casual viewer it is confusing to determine the hierarchy and relative importance of the tours.

*The marketing for these events is baffling sometimes. Even when I know an event is being covered by SB, there can still be some confusion about finding links. I see it here almost every event. "How do I find the stream?" Far from making it easy for viewers, they make consumers work too hard to find content. It should be shouted from the mountaintops where to find the stream and at what time.

*Maybe after all this, we should find a better analogy than ball golf for televised DG. Perhaps a more fitting analogy at this point is bowling, a sport people love to play, but aren't that interested to watch. Cynical and probably incorrect, but a possibility anyway.
+1 , good points
Old 07-12-2016, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 34
Niced 344 Times in 216 Posts

Good article.

Just curious while I was reading. How is the viewership of ultimate disc golf? I literally know nothing about it. Was wondering for comparison.

Also, even though 3,000 views seemes to be the bar, that still sounds incredibly low in the overall grand scheme, no?
Old 07-12-2016, 12:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 42
Niced 92 Times in 57 Posts

This has been bugging me since they posted about live coverage last Thursday (?) with not mention of what DAY they were referring to. What is sad it that the easiest and least expensive thing to do- getting information out on social media and your own website- are not being done. The lack of information on the DGPT's own website is inexcusable, IMO.

Also, I donated for the second cam coverage, but if this abysmal lack of information continues DGPT will see no more of my money.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 136
Niced 238 Times in 102 Posts

When I went looking on youtube for DGPT over the weekend to watch live coverage it was about the 6th or 7th item down the list. They had a highlight clip from Matt Dollar's own channel as the top result. Today's query still shows him as the #1 result, DGPT's page is up to #4.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 13
Niced 106 Times in 73 Posts

When I opened the YouTube app on my TV the Silver Cup live coverage was the first thing in my recommended section. I had completely forgotten about it. I turned it on for a bit, but then went to the park with the kids and dog.

I like the idea of putting all the money into just doing live coverage of the Championship event that the article suggests. I'd make time to check that out.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 1341
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 610 Times in 237 Posts

"Air the broadcast on SmashboxxTV’s YouTube channel"

This one stood out to me. I went back to check out the live airing of Friday's round and I couldn't it... I couldn't find any of the DGPT things that Smashboxx said they were doing and I was lost if only briefly, eventually I figured it out, but I had to do some digging. Seems like a no brainer to air it where the subscribers are going to see it..