Old 08-07-2016, 02:41 PM

Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Introduction & Disc Selection Question

So I'm fairly new to DG (~2 months), but I am beyond addicted. I'm a 25yo med student, I've begun spending almost every free moment on the course or doing field work.

I'm wondering if I can get some help on the next disc that I should purchase (I've got a little more $$ left on an Amazon gift card that I got for my birthday). As of right now, I think that my bag (I would hardly call it that) is a bit of a cluster that I've accrued through packs, finds, and individual purchases. Here's what I have so far as well as my best distances:

Discraft Challenger, Pro-D, 171g: 250-ish
Innova Shark, DX moderately beat, 150g: 250-ish (don't really go for too much distance because it just turns over like crazy for me)
Innova Cobra, DX slightly beat, 169g: 280-300
Innova Roc3, Metal flake, 180g: 280-300
Innova TL, Star, 174g: 300-330
Innova Valkyrie, Champion, 175g: 300-330
Vibram Lace, X-Link Medium, 175g: 300-350
Discraft Avenger SS, Pro-D, 152g: Eh, I'm not sure. Don't throw it much.

My best shots with any of one of these discs is about 20ft further than what I have listed, but these shots are few and far between at this point. Current PR distance is around 385' on a slight decline with the Lace during field work.

My wife primarily uses the Shark and Avenger, so that is why I'm not really sure how far I can get either of these discs.

My thoughts right now are that I have a lot of heavy discs which may be hurting me a bit as far as getting the discs up to the proper speed. Maybe I should get a slightly lighter driver? Maybe a driver is the last thing I need? No idea. . . There very well could be some huge gaps that I don't even realize exist at this point.

I know that I will probably get a lot of different answers, but I welcome all the advice that I can get! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

I'd get a Champ Teebird. It'll be a nice Overstable compliment to the Valk and TL.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 15 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
I'd get a Champ Teebird. It'll be a nice Overstable compliment to the Valk and TL.
If you're getting it out there around 350', it sounds like you might be ready to step up in overall stability. I def agree w/bradharris and think you should get a Champ Teebird.

Maybe get a Thunderbird and a Destroyer too. And if you're really feeling frisky, a Firebird.

As for the weights, I'd stick with max weight discs. If you're throwing 385', you're arm strength is fine for max weight. And max weight discs fight wind and are easier to control, I find.

Oh, and get a Polecat. Just because.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:47 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

See, this is why I'm glad I posted on here. I really hadn't even thought about the Teebird! I had given some thought to the Thunderbird now that I am getting some proper -2/2 flight pattern out of the Valkyrie (before it stayed pretty left). I didn't really think I was ready for the Destroyer, but I had considered getting a Wraith.

Should the Teebird be my priority? (I'll just be purchasing one disc for the time being)
Old 08-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 62
Niced 15 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottDenney View Post
I really hadn't even thought about the Teebird!
Turns out your TL is just an understable Teebird. The "T" in the "TL" stands for Teebird, I'm pretty sure. (Just don't ask me what the "L" stands for...) I started out with a TL too then dropped it for the Teebird. Dropped my Shark too when I starred bagging my Roc & Roc3.

Quote:
I didn't really think I was ready for the Destroyer, but I had considered getting a Wraith.
Throwing over 350'? You're ready for a Destroyer. Especially if you are throwing a FH. Or some other OS driver, like a Surge or a Nuke.

Don't know too much about the Wraith, personally, but I see a ton of people throw one. Sounds like a good disc, based on all reports.

Quote:
Should the Teebird be my priority? (I'll just be purchasing one disc for the time being)
I dunno. I can't see anyone not owning a Teebird but I also think you need an OS driver. I'd get both, if I were you.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 11
Niced 26 Times in 17 Posts

Pretty sure the "TL" is Teebird Long.

Innova had a three disc family of "L" discs, the SL, FL, TL.

The S was for Starfire ( I think the L version of this is OOP ) and the F was a Firebird ( still current: http://www.innovadiscs.com/disc/fl/ )
Old 08-08-2016, 12:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

First of all, shout out from a fellow med student. I picked up disc golf (after a long hiatus) during my Psychiatry rotation during third year. Welcome to the addiction. My wife's current favorite discs are a beat-up DX Leopard and a 150s X Stratus.

I'd say look around on the site and see if there's something you're aching to try. E.g. I remember buying a Comet (I like Z) and Drone based on seeing things on DGCR and talking to folks on the course. Do you want to try a lid like a Polecat? Or a fancy gyro putter like the Ion or Envy? I'd say it's not a big deal to "fill gaps" at this stage in your career. Play/throw to have fun, so buy a new disc that you really want to try. No one on here can know which will strike your fancy.

I'm curious: do you throw forehands? If you throw forehand, I think you should try a Firebird. Awesome for skip shots and overhand stuff.

Another disc you might like is a Z Buzzz in the 170s. If you like the Shark's feel, you'll probably like the Buzzz. It shouldn't turn over, and there's a reason the Buzzz is often imitated. Of course if you're happy with the Roc3, that's probably unnecessary.

As far as weight, I've always felt (not sure if this is justified) that discs were meant to be 160s or 170s. I might not get every foot of distance out of them, but they seem to be more consistent.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:10 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
First of all, shout out from a fellow med student. I picked up disc golf (after a long hiatus) during my Psychiatry rotation during third year.
That's uncanny. I picked it up during my psych clerkship third year as well. I actually played 27 holes the day before the shelf. Outsiders might get the impression that the psych rotation is easy or something. . .

Quote:
I'd say look around on the site and see if there's something you're aching to try.
I had thought about this, but the only problem is I want to try everything! I'm really interested in the Nova because I love the way it feels if I had to narrow it down to one. I also want to expand beyond Innova to see what else is out there. I basically want to try everything that Prodigy has just for the sake of trying it. And Latitude64. . . and Discraft. . . and Vibram. . .

Quote:
I'm curious: do you throw forehands? If you throw forehand, I think you should try a Firebird.
Actually, yes. I come from an Ultimate background, and I was most accurate (by a long shot) with my forehand. When I first started playing DG, I depended heavily upon my FH for both drives and approaches. I hit 300+ with my FH long before I did with my BH (I actually lost a DX Wraith I had because I hyzer flipped it 330+ into some DENSE woods during field work ). However, lately I've been neglecting it because I know that I will have more distance long-term if I can train my BH properly. The last few rounds I've played, I haven't thrown FH at all, but it's probably time to start re-incorporating it to my game.

Even though I am happy with the Roc3, I have thought about the Buzz as well just because of the reviews and following that it has.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:19 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 528
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts

Don't be in a rush to try out Destroyers and other high speed fare. Even at 350', there's some more distance potential up and until the speed 10's.

Agreed on the Teebird recommendations. They're fantastic workhorse discs.
Try a Star Leopard. A Leopard/TL/Teebird combination will cover just about any fairway duties you might have.

To bump up speed, give a Thunderbird or PD (Discmania) try to complement your Valk. You may also enjoy throwing a Beast or Orc.

But seriously, don't go racing for higher speed stuff until you feel truly confident controlling your mids, fairways and control drivers. Hell, I throw a bit further than you, and I don't throw anything over speed 10.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:43 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

Yep^ ive recently started to throw some 11-13 speed stuff and at under 425' i dont get more distance. They do fight headwinds better/longer (obviously) plus some mean skip action vs slower molds but that really is all.

You probably will F with form trying to throw faster stuff too which isn't good.