Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 206 Times in 102 Posts
Default Cons of putting with a shallow putter

I don't think I have seen any of the big name pros putt with a shallow putter, but with smaller hands I am going to assume I will have an easier time gripping a shallow putter. I have never actually used one so I am wondering if any of you can tell me the pros and cons of putting with one from your experiences. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2017, 09:27 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
I don't think I have seen any of the big name pros putt with a shallow putter, but with smaller hands I am going to assume I will have an easier time gripping a shallow putter. I have never actually used one so I am wondering if any of you can tell me the pros and cons of putting with one from your experiences. Thanks.
My main putting putter is the Warden, which is not quite as deep as other putters. I never got into deeper feeling putters for putting, though some are okay for me for throwing. I also like the Colt and Stud, and the Magic that I tried was really nice as well.

One "pro" of a shallow putter: if it's comfortable for you to throw, that's 80% or more of the battle right there. A more comfortable putter will be a putter you want to work with more, and will get better with as a result.

One possible "con": shallow putters tend to be a bit faster than deeper putters, might skip or roll away from the basket more, and further. Deep putters CAN do that, but my Rhyno generally sits down while the Harp and Stud get frisky at times.

I also think my Star Stud cuts through the wind fairly well, and the Harp definitely does... but the Rhyno is a decent putter in the wind, as well...

Old 03-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 20
Niced 37 Times in 35 Posts

I think Paige Peirce is putting with Swans right now?

My impression was that spin putters sometimes tend to use shallower putters.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 67
Niced 206 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
My main putting putter is the Warden, which is not quite as deep as other putters. I never got into deeper feeling putters for putting, though some are okay for me for throwing. I also like the Colt and Stud, and the Magic that I tried was really nice as well.

One "pro" of a shallow putter: if it's comfortable for you to throw, that's 80% or more of the battle right there. A more comfortable putter will be a putter you want to work with more, and will get better with as a result.

One possible "con": shallow putters tend to be a bit faster than deeper putters, might skip or roll away from the basket more, and further. Deep putters CAN do that, but my Rhyno generally sits down while the Harp and Stud get frisky at times.

I also think my Star Stud cuts through the wind fairly well, and the Harp definitely does... but the Rhyno is a decent putter in the wind, as well...
A lot of that was pretty much what I was thinking, but it is good to hear someone else say it. In my head I was telling me it would be quicker with less glide. In my head it made sense it would cut through the wind better being narrower. I did not really think of the roll aways, but that does make sense too. I have never been able to get a good grip on a Wizard or putter like it so I think that benefit alone is worth at least trying it. Thanks for the response.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:09 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 10 Times in 8 Posts

It may be the bead on the Wizard. Try a putter with no bead like a regular P&A Aviar or a Warlock.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 41
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
I have switched to the colt as my main putter for just this reason - small hands. I never could get comfortable with a grip on deeper putters and went through quite a few. I spent some time with the summit and only ditched it for the colt as the summit was just to US for me.

As for the pros/cons - I just don't see any difference between my colt and most normal putters (excluding things like zones/etc). Perhaps at the highest of levels you'd see a difference but for most mortals it really is all about the feel, getting a clean release, and your confidence. If that shallow putter feels right go for it and don't look back.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I find it'd be a balance of cutting through wind better, but less glide. For some putting styles this can be perfect, and for some it might just feel like too much work on longer putts to get it there with enough height.

Putting grip is so different from driving grip, and from person to person, that you really just need to feel some different depth putters and see what clicks for you. Also compare some traditional Aviar-based shapes against shallow ones eventually (if you go the shallow route) to see if it is working for you with actual putts. With driving there are specific techniques everyone needs to incorporate...with putting you have to do what's right for you if it's working.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,150 Times in 538 Posts

MJ putts with a Ringer.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:56 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

For spin putts I don't think there's much difference. For push/lob/spush putters the low pros can be more nose angle sensitive and act a little squirrely. I have small hands and I love how low pro putters like the Shaman feel but I can't stand any nose angle sensitivity with my low spin putts.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 311 Times in 182 Posts

Philo putts with the grid stamp Aviar