Old 02-11-2018, 01:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 253 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Seems a tad redundant. They already have the Scythe, Missilen, Villain, Gladiator and Cutlass. All have more or less the same glide and stability rating.

I do love the Ballista, but is there really need for a more stable version?
It is a game of degrees - how thin you slice it is up to the manufacturers, and people who want a certain flight.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2018, 02:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 676 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
It is a game of degrees - how thin you slice it is up to the manufacturers, and people who want a certain flight.
Yeah, I still wonder how Innova produces so many different (and fairly redundant) drivers and still sells enough of them to keep making all of the different molds.

After a while you're splitting hairs when it comes to releasing new discs. Everything innovative has pretty much already been done.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:11 AM
Par Member

Niced 82 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
It's a game of dollars. How successful it is is up to the marketers, and the halfwits who make up the bulk of customers.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 161 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I still wonder how Innova produces so many different (and fairly redundant) drivers and still sells enough of them to keep making all of the different molds.

After a while you're splitting hairs when it comes to releasing new discs. Everything innovative has pretty much already been done.
They don't have to run the slow movers all that often. I would be really surprised if the slowest moving molds in the "current production" Innova lineup get run more than once every few years. When they designate something OOP probably is more of a marketing decision than a manufacturing one.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:56 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,157 Times in 1,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
They don't have to run the slow movers all that often. I would be really surprised if the slowest moving molds in the "current production" Innova lineup get run more than once every few years. When they designate something OOP probably is more of a marketing decision than a manufacturing one.
They make a fairly big run of a mold, then sell from that same run for years and years. The Champ Banshee might be an example of that. As to OOP, when a physical mold is no longer serviceable and they don't want to get another one, the mold goes OOP. By the way, has Innova taken a very popular mold OOP like Discraft and Trilogy sometimes do?

Last edited by SD86; 02-11-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
They make a fairly big run of a mold, then sell from that same run for years and years. The Champ Banshee might be an example of that. As to OOP, when a physical mold is no longer serviceable and they don't want to get another one, the mold goes OOP. By the way, has Innova taken a very popular mold OOP like Discraft and Trilogy sometimes do?
Innova doesn't seem to take many discs OOP. I know it has been discussed on here before which discs Innova SHOULD take OOP. Everyone of course has varying opinions on that.

I think Innova's most popular disc is the Destroyer. I bet they mold those constantly and stores are always getting fresh batches, rather than discs that have sat in a warehouse for a decade waiting to sell. The same could be said for the Beast or Valk. I know those are incredible sellers.

Innova also still keeps the much-maligned Groove around. Damn things must sell. I still see them around in stores and at the course. People buy and use them. Must be a bunch of newbs who don't know any better.
As for this Ballista pro, I can't see it being more than a niche disc. A few rabid Ballista throwers will probably buy it, but that's it.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,157 Times in 1,587 Posts

Quote:
Innova doesn't seem to take many discs OOP. I know it has been discussed on here before which discs Innova SHOULD take OOP. Everyone of course has varying opinions on that.

I think Innova's most popular disc is the Destroyer. I bet they mold those constantly and stores are always getting fresh batches, rather than discs that have sat in a warehouse for a decade waiting to sell. The same could be said for the Beast or Valk. I know those are incredible sellers.

Innova also still keeps the much-maligned Groove around. Damn things must sell. I still see them around in stores and at the course. People buy and use them. Must be a bunch of newbs who don't know any better.
As for this Ballista pro, I can't see it being more than a niche disc. A few rabid Ballista throwers will probably buy it, but that's it.
Agree on all points. Destroyer is definitely the number one seller at DGC, and I believe at Infinite, also. Slower-selling molds are the ones that (for example) still come in pre-JL plastics with pre-JL stamps

I don't understand the continuation of the Groove, either. I'd think they have to know how hated that mold is, and the potential damage it does to new people just getting into DG...
Old 02-11-2018, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,945 Times in 1,671 Posts

Quote:
I don't understand the continuation of the Groove
It sells. Not hard to figure out.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Agree on all points. Destroyer is definitely the number one seller at DGC, and I believe at Infinite, also. Slower-selling molds are the ones that (for example) still come in pre-JL plastics with pre-JL stamps

I don't understand the continuation of the Groove, either. I'd think they have to know how hated that mold is, and the potential damage it does to new people just getting into DG...
I try to keep a fairly open mind when I try discs in the field or on the course. I've seen and thrown Grooves since they first came out. I even have a couple first runs (yay, me. I'm sitting on a gold mine). The first Grooves I threw were unremarkable, but acceptable fliers. All the Grooves I've found and thrown lately have been the most stubborn, overstable glideless bricks I've ever seen. For a speed 13 driver they go nowhere and simply want to stall and hyzer out. I'll literally call the Groove the worst driver I've ever thrown based on what its marketed as. For the sake of the game, Innova should cut their losses and discontinue it. Push the Daedalus and Shryke hard instead.

Niced: (1)

Old 02-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 168
Niced 161 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
I don't think the condition of the mold has much to do with a disc going out of production. If the disc sells, they'll tool up another mold (see San Marino, Ontario, and Rancho Rocs). The Lycan is OOP and I doubt they did more than two runs of that dud. It's a marketing decision that has little to do with the condition of the production tooling.