Old 01-29-2018, 12:10 PM
Par Member

Niced 38 Times in 36 Posts
Default How far should you throw a mid?

I have been trying to rebuild my technique these last few months, been working a lot on getting a strong pull-through.

My question to you guys is this....how far should I be able to throw my mids before I start throwing drivers? I've been driving off the pad with a EMAC Truth and am hitting about 250 fairly consistently, and I plan on continuing this for at least a few more weeks, but should I start looking at some fairway drivers when I can hit around 300' feet on a regular bases with my mid-range?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2018, 12:24 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 576 Times in 307 Posts

How are you throwing the truth to hit 250? Straight? Hyzer? Anny? Hyzer flip? I can get a mid to average 275-300 in the open, making sure i get some air under it keeping the nose down.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Straight fairway drivers won't hurt your form at all, and they will be more nose angle sensitive than mids as well. No need to not throw discs speed 7-9ish to keep working on your form.

I do think that mids should be flying 275+ on a hyzer flip or flat throw when you're getting things going though. But don't punish yourself and avoid fairway drivers while you're working on it.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 PM
Par Member

I'm throwing them flat, that has been one of my biggest issues. Oddly enough I can throw hyzers and slight turnovers without much difficulty, but getting it flat out of the hand has been a issue since I started playing.

But flat out of the hand, I'm hitting 220-250 fairly consistent right now
Old 01-29-2018, 01:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I think a straight putter is the best disc for practicing a flat release. It should just hold that line nearly all the way to the ground. Anything in the Aviar/Wizard/Anode/Warden/etc. class of putters. That way you can also power them down or up as much as you want to see if you start getting off line at some point, they don't have a minimum power requirement like a Truth will have.

The EMac Truth is a great disc, but I feel like it responds well to a hard throw. Either very flat, or even slight hyzer so it pops up and goes dead straight. The easiest way to get a straight shot is with a midrange like that with a tiny bit of turn, and a slight hyzer release. The little angle and little turn will cancel each other out over a variety of variations. Whereas a dead straight/neutral disc and a completely flat release is much harder to replicate. It's good to practice but much harder to execute every time, it's like that for everyone.

If you're trying to break through 250' with a Truth then get some video up, there are probably a couple relatively important things to change that will help out.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:02 PM
Par Member

Well, I was throwing a warrant as well on a few shots...they were coming out flat....turning, and then fading predictably at the end of the flight, so I think the mechanics are getting there....or I HOPE they are anyways!
Old 01-29-2018, 02:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Straight fairway drivers won't hurt your form at all, and they will be more nose angle sensitive than mids as well. No need to not throw discs speed 7-9ish to keep working on your form.

I do think that mids should be flying 275+ on a hyzer flip or flat throw when you're getting things going though. But don't punish yourself and avoid fairway drivers while you're working on it.
100% what slowplastic said.
You're not going to hurt anything throwing fairways.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:36 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerswimmer89 View Post
Well, I was throwing a warrant as well on a few shots...they were coming out flat....turning, and then fading predictably at the end of the flight, so I think the mechanics are getting there....or I HOPE they are anyways!
Throwing the Warrant on a hyzer flip is probably going to benefit your form more than trying to throw an EMac Truth flat. You can get away with sloppy form a lot more with a disc with LSS and resistance to turn.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-29-2018, 07:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post

I had recently wondered about this myself and have only been throwing mids and putters lately. Guess I can pick the escape and zombee back up

Old 01-29-2018, 08:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 131
Niced 178 Times in 92 Posts

I really like to throw mids when I play rounds, but when I throw for form I throw my opto Pures, Spikes, Envys and Ridges. I've collected a lot of putters over the years, so these are my "go to" discs for field work. I'm 57yo, so I don't get a lot of power from the core like the youngsters, but I can get my putters out to 225 ft pretty consistent. The Pures out to 250 ft.

Mids are a LOT easier to throw, but I can't get them to go over 275 ft consistently. I'm not sure why, I use the same form.

Point is... I agree with the above posts that throwing putters will help with learning to throw flat and nose down better than mids because they're less forgiving at full power.