Old 05-07-2018, 06:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 513 Times in 330 Posts
Default OS Mids vs putters

I picked up a Recon Mortar over the weekend and can't wait to try it out. I also picked up a couple of zones, which I am presently a fan of, along with Harps etc.

In fact, the FH chip shot slot in my bag currently has a lot of competition.

I'm thinking it would make sense to bag either one of my beloved OS putters (premium plastic), OR a Mortar, OR a mortar + one of my OS putters in a stickier plastic like jawbreaker.

Those who bag the Mortar or Justice and its ilk, do you still bag your favorite zone, harp, etc?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2018, 06:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,173 Times in 578 Posts

My favorite OS mid is a putter.

Rocs and Harps and Wizards cover all midrange and putter duties.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Justice is absolutely different from a Zone. Justice dumps and will spike hyzer on any line. Zone/Harp in premium are very firmly straight, even slightly positive HSS, but they will hold the line and go into a sweep/dumping fade. The Justice and some beaded glow Gators will knife in like crazy. I have not thrown a Mortar, but from seeing how Jerm uses his, it seems like it would be in competition with a premium Zone or Harp and would take that spot.

I can see having a baseline Zone/Harp along with a Mortar style disc...or along with a premium version of those discs. Also I can see the Justice or glow beaded Gator/crazy OS mid being a different shot in addition to those, if that works for your game. Not everyone throws hyzer approaches FH and BH all the time, and some of these discs are much more useful for FH shots to get different flex lines. The harder you throw a FH, the harder it is to power down on a fairway so it actually becomes really useful to have some stable and OS mids to throw hard. For someone who is just covering up a torquey FH they throw every once in a while, then all of the nuances between these discs would be complete overkill.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,004 Times in 556 Posts

I've seen it written here that the Zone went as far for people as a Buzzz OS, but not in my experience. Zones have much less glide and are a great distance mitigator, whereas I can almost push a Buzzz OS as far as a Buzzz if I put it on an annyflex line. Definitely room for both in my bag.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

I am currently. Experimenting with this slot. I pulled the harp out and gae the chief os a shot, it dodnt make the cut so then I grabbed a Rhyno. I know its not as beefy and its glideless but it filled that slot. Now obviously its nowhere near as long as the harp and this is why I have been kicking the idea around that maybe i can put a Gator there and cover harp type lines and power it down for rhyno lines. Any thoughts on this?
Old 05-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,514 Times in 692 Posts

I never really found a use for an overstable mid. Tried quite a few of them because lots of people seem to like them, just never worked for me. I can power down a Banshee pretty easily, and closer in I use a Rhyno.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

I'm an either/or type. There just aren't really many courses where carrying an OS mid really justifies the space in the bag around here. I'm already bagging a slow OS FW driver for wind, FH rollers, spikes, thumbers, etc and an OS putter can do basically everything an OS mid can plus the gap in range between the two (FW driver & putter) isn't that big. The other thing I like about OS putters over OS mids is the smaller diameter makes them easier to FH for me as well as a slightly smaller object to miss trees with.

Like a x, x, 0, 2 is all the overstability I need for my most OS mid, just something that I can rip on and not flip over nor get any late flight turn.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-07-2018, 10:07 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,155 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
I am currently. Experimenting with this slot. I pulled the harp out and gae the chief os a shot, it dodnt make the cut so then I grabbed a Rhyno. I know its not as beefy and its glideless but it filled that slot. Now obviously its nowhere near as long as the harp and this is why I have been kicking the idea around that maybe i can put a Gator there and cover harp type lines and power it down for rhyno lines. Any thoughts on this?
If you like the Gator, that's fine. Oderwise, if I were in your situation, I'd carry a Harp AND a Rhyno.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 932 Times in 509 Posts

I bag 2 Zones and a DGA Quake currently. Yes, I have different uses for each of them.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
If you like the Gator, that's fine. Oderwise, if I were in your situation, I'd carry a Harp AND a Rhyno.
No to Harp AND Rhyno. With my mids the harp lines are covered. A Gator would be useful in extreme wind (but so is a freshy TB) idk just a thought. Rhyno definitely stays.