Old 06-26-2018, 08:20 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 306 Times in 174 Posts
Default Envy, Proxy, Ion, Anode, Atom?

Anybody care to give a good description as to how these putters all fly compared to each other? I've briefly thrown the Envy and currently throw an Opto Pure, if that helps for reference.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2018, 08:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Ion and Anode are traditional putter type flights. Slightly faster if anything and extremely HSS. I would say the Ion is like a Wizard, and the Anode is like a very HSS Aviar...or like a Wizard that is beaten to fly dead straight but does not have any turn. Anode wants to push straight if it has any slight angle, but with a deeper hyzer or anhyzer it will hold soft flights all the way to the ground. Ion will hold any hyzer angle very well, and on a flat release is extremely trustworthy. Both have a curved inner rim to flight plate meeting area, so that may take a little getting used to. They do slide on the ground more than a baseline Wizard/Aviar on approaches, but they last much longer from the plastic type.

Envy is low profile, faster, and the most HSS/LSS I think out of these. Less glide more speed, great driving putter but less floaty on short approaches. Amazing for harder FH upshots. It definitely feels different in hand to the Ion/Anode.

I have not thrown the Atom at all.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:06 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 306 Times in 174 Posts

Thanks!

So the Envy is more HSS and LSS than the Ion. How does the Proxy compare to the Anode?
Old 06-26-2018, 09:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
Thanks!

So the Envy is more HSS and LSS than the Ion. How does the Proxy compare to the Anode?
The bigger difference between Ion and Envy to me is profile and torque resistance. Ion is like a Wizard, it will take all the clean power you can give it but it needs higher lines and if you torque it it will take a bit to catch up from the wobbles. The Envy can come out of a surprisingly torquey release and also really cuts through wind for how straight it is on a flat release. So although I find the Ion extremely HSS, I think the torque and wind factors of the Envy give it an edge in that regard, although it does handle a little bit differently.

I've only thrown the Proxy a couple times, and don't have enough experience with it to know its stability limits. But it was like an Envy in feel and flight type from what I remember, whereas again the Anode is more in a premium plastic traditional putter category.

The advantage the Ion/Anode have to me over traditional putters, is that they have the same stability/distance/glide as fresh baseline putters but they don't beat up or do so extremely slowly. They definitely have the MVP thing going on for me too, where they are extremely HSS and the fade is pretty late relative to how HSS they are, but they don't become less glidey like some other traditional putters may be when they are made in premium blends.

For me the question is, do you want a more normal putter depth that is a bit more of a high ceiling disc and easy to range but can handle all the clean power you can give it? Or do you want more driving specific putters that are more torque resistant, still range pretty well, but can be smashed on to encroach on mids?

Niced: (1)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

Here's what Inbounds shows.
http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...1872474193231O
http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...45876O777921OO
Old 06-26-2018, 09:43 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Proxy is basically all the HSS, speed, and torque resistance of the Envy except little to no LSS depending on your power. They're just plain straight start to finish, maybe drift off the center line if you really lay into it.

I've only had a Soft Electron Atom and I can't remember much how it flew new. I think it was faster due to a lower profile and S-curvy with some turn and fade.

Quote:
For me the question is, do you want a more normal putter depth that is a bit more of a high ceiling disc and easy to range but can handle all the clean power you can give it? Or do you want more driving specific putters that are more torque resistant, still range pretty well, but can be smashed on to encroach on mids?
This is the bottom line here. Proxy/Envy is for mashing, Ion/Anode is for floating at targets. They both fly on frozen ropes but the Envy/Proxy are getting there on flatter lines.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 730 Times in 511 Posts

Stability wise... least to most..
Anode, Proxy, Ion, Atom, Envy

Everything the other guys said is true..
Anode seems Aviarish like a perfect champ Aviar.
Ion is a slightly beat Evo/ firm wizard.

Proxy is a more beat superglo wizard.. Super straight.
Atom kinda like a new wizard or beefier proxy, straight under power and more forgiving with a little anhyzer.
Envy flies like a faster pro Rhyno

Anode and Ion I find unique and kinda pair together with big overlap in that the Anode kinda fights an anhyzer and both fly straight. Ion does better hyzers.

Proxy, Envy overlap a fair bit depending on plastic type. If you want to throw flat and straight, Proxy or soft E Envy. Proxy for straight finish Envy for straight to late hyzer. Want to throw with a touch of anhyzer.. Atom or Envy.

Want to just get one.. Probably a Neutron Atom.
Which I don't bag because I bag 4 different gyro putters haha.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:47 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 34 Times in 19 Posts

Since you mentioned that you throw the Pure. I throw both an Opto Pure and a Plasma Ion, and I use the Ion as the next step up in stability from the Pure. It might not be quite as stable as the Envy, but if you throw the Ion hard and flat then it will generally fly straight until it loses speed and fades slightly. It will hold a hyzer no matter how hard you throw it, or you can even throw some mellow flex shots because it doesn't hold an anhyzer to the ground unless you really force it on that anhyzer hard. Where a Pure will start turning over and then never come back, an Ion will eventually catch itself and fade back the other way if you give it enough height to slow down before it hits the ground. The only thing about the Ion is that I find it handles wobbly throws very poorly for how high speed stable it acts otherwise.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:21 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 48 Times in 34 Posts

Atom is a bit straighter Envy, I putt with medium electron Atoms but approach with soft Neutron Envy. Feelwise I think they're quite similar.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 208 Times in 131 Posts

Only thing I will add to the above comments, the Atom finishes more stable than the Proxy, but is less LSS. The Proxy is surprisingly straight for so little fade. It pairs better with the Envy IMO, but if you want one disc to cover everything, the Atom can probably do it.