#61  
Old 11-23-2018, 07:53 AM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 6,566
Niced 1,944 Times in 814 Posts
Default

The primary motivation for this is completely unrelated to anything in this thread.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 AM
davetherocketguy's Avatar
davetherocketguy davetherocketguy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,652
Niced 1,624 Times in 674 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
The primary motivation for this is completely unrelated to anything in this thread.
Enlighten us.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-23-2018, 09:02 AM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Posts: 6,566
Niced 1,944 Times in 814 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Enlighten us.
Nah... you will have to wait for the PDGA announcement.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Hyzflip10 Hyzflip10 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 343
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
Science says otherwise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2562334/

A Molecular Link Between the Active Component of Marijuana and Alzheimer's Disease Pathology

"Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of Aβ aggregation"

What does this mean? It means that THC actively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE). When this enzyme is inhibited, the levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine are increased.

Acetylcholine is an excitatory human neurotransmitter that is involved in hand eye coordination and focus. Boost acetylcholine = boost performance.

There is a reason why so many athletes use it, half the NBA players, musicians, artists, etc. Why would so many spark up (or better yet eat it) before playing? Exactly.

I guess everyone is different. It honestly does nothing for me, and I've seen guys fall apart after lighting up. Give me a cup of coffee and it has the same effect.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-23-2018, 01:36 PM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,273
Niced 1,341 Times in 405 Posts
Default

The notion that we should police people taking substances in the name of "fairness" is rather asinine, as it comes from the incorrect assumption that every athlete starts at the same baseline level. It also incorrectly assumes that the most athletic person wins, which is so far from true in any discipline of Golf.

David beats Goliath way more often than the tales suggest. It's a case of perception vs. reality.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Hyzflip10 Hyzflip10 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 343
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
The notion that we should police people taking substances in the name of "fairness" is rather asinine, as it comes from the incorrect assumption that every athlete starts at the same baseline level. It also incorrectly assumes that the most athletic person wins, which is so far from true in any discipline of Golf.

David beats Goliath way more often than the tales suggest. It's a case of perception vs. reality.
Aha! I can see I am going to enjoy playing devils advocate to your opinions sometimes, lol.

In the current state of the sport, you are right it makes no sense police substance use in the name of fairness. But if the sport is ever going to be taken seriously by anyone who doesnt play the game, and if it is going to ever escape the public perception that it is just a bunch of drugged up hippies throwing frisbees in the park, I think a more cogent and cohesive policy is needed to get to the next level.

And this may not be popular, but if someone needs substances to perform their best than maybe it is time to train harder. There is a very real advantage to taking some substances. I was prescribed Ritalin in college, and used to play alot of softball. I was able to make ridiculous plays at 3rd base when i was on that crap. And when I stopped taking it, I was no longer able to make those plays.

In full disclosure, I drink coffee before i play and it helps relax me and i play better. But anyone can stop at the corner store and pick up a coffee. no special prescription, and no special connections are needed.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-23-2018, 03:40 PM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,964
Niced 4,202 Times in 2,230 Posts
Default

Quote:
if it is going to ever escape the public perception that it is just a bunch of drugged up hippies throwing frisbees in the park,
Its gonna be hard for that perception to change considering a lot(if not a majority) of competitive players around here, are a bunch of drugged up hippies throwing frisbees in a park...

Also, I don't think that's a bad thing either... I would rather we be thought of as that, instead of a bunch of drunks who leave there bud light cans all over the damn place...

Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-23-2018, 04:07 PM
zgmc's Avatar
zgmc zgmc is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 820
Niced 132 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
Science says otherwise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2562334/

A Molecular Link Between the Active Component of Marijuana and Alzheimer's Disease Pathology

"Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of Aβ aggregation"

What does this mean? It means that THC actively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE). When this enzyme is inhibited, the levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine are increased.

Acetylcholine is an excitatory human neurotransmitter that is involved in hand eye coordination and focus. Boost acetylcholine = boost performance.

There is a reason why so many athletes use it, half the NBA players, musicians, artists, etc. Why would so many spark up (or better yet eat it) before playing? Exactly.
I think you are confused.. That study does not conclude that thc will boost performance of an athlete. Pretty sure that it has been shown many times that marijuana intake does not boost performance. Here is a study that shows a decrease in pilots ability to fly after using marijuana.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1267035

Cannabis and Sport :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2657492/

Quote:
The question often asked in the case of a positive result for cannabis is whether it was consciously used for doping purposes. The answer is that this substance can only indirectly improve performance—it can have a euphoric effect, reducing anxiety and increasing the sociability of a player who may be particularly nervous before an important match
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-23-2018, 04:14 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is offline
Snowflake
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 9,082
Niced 2,153 Times in 1,585 Posts
Default

Part (not all, but part) of the issue is the long term health effects of these substances. Remember Lyle Alzado, et. al.

Why the PDGA is all of a sudden looking to hire people in this arena is the more interesting question to me...

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #70  
Old 11-23-2018, 04:19 PM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,964
Niced 4,202 Times in 2,230 Posts
Default

We could always go the route that fishing tournaments have done... Lie detector tests...

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Control Drivers Micah511 Discs 10 02-13-2017 10:51 AM
Weed control riltim Course Maint. & Equipment 32 11-25-2015 03:33 PM
Control? FlDeerman Technique & Strategy 13 05-01-2013 01:37 AM
Go-to Control Driver 9+ Verjaeger Discs 109 03-10-2012 08:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.