Old 11-23-2018, 07:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,944 Times in 814 Posts

The primary motivation for this is completely unrelated to anything in this thread.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,624 Times in 674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
The primary motivation for this is completely unrelated to anything in this thread.
Enlighten us.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,944 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Enlighten us.
Nah... you will have to wait for the PDGA announcement.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
Science says otherwise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2562334/

A Molecular Link Between the Active Component of Marijuana and Alzheimer's Disease Pathology

"Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of Aβ aggregation"

What does this mean? It means that THC actively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE). When this enzyme is inhibited, the levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine are increased.

Acetylcholine is an excitatory human neurotransmitter that is involved in hand eye coordination and focus. Boost acetylcholine = boost performance.

There is a reason why so many athletes use it, half the NBA players, musicians, artists, etc. Why would so many spark up (or better yet eat it) before playing? Exactly.

I guess everyone is different. It honestly does nothing for me, and I've seen guys fall apart after lighting up. Give me a cup of coffee and it has the same effect.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,341 Times in 405 Posts

The notion that we should police people taking substances in the name of "fairness" is rather asinine, as it comes from the incorrect assumption that every athlete starts at the same baseline level. It also incorrectly assumes that the most athletic person wins, which is so far from true in any discipline of Golf.

David beats Goliath way more often than the tales suggest. It's a case of perception vs. reality.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
The notion that we should police people taking substances in the name of "fairness" is rather asinine, as it comes from the incorrect assumption that every athlete starts at the same baseline level. It also incorrectly assumes that the most athletic person wins, which is so far from true in any discipline of Golf.

David beats Goliath way more often than the tales suggest. It's a case of perception vs. reality.
Aha! I can see I am going to enjoy playing devils advocate to your opinions sometimes, lol.

In the current state of the sport, you are right it makes no sense police substance use in the name of fairness. But if the sport is ever going to be taken seriously by anyone who doesnt play the game, and if it is going to ever escape the public perception that it is just a bunch of drugged up hippies throwing frisbees in the park, I think a more cogent and cohesive policy is needed to get to the next level.

And this may not be popular, but if someone needs substances to perform their best than maybe it is time to train harder. There is a very real advantage to taking some substances. I was prescribed Ritalin in college, and used to play alot of softball. I was able to make ridiculous plays at 3rd base when i was on that crap. And when I stopped taking it, I was no longer able to make those plays.

In full disclosure, I drink coffee before i play and it helps relax me and i play better. But anyone can stop at the corner store and pick up a coffee. no special prescription, and no special connections are needed.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,202 Times in 2,230 Posts

Quote:
if it is going to ever escape the public perception that it is just a bunch of drugged up hippies throwing frisbees in the park,
Its gonna be hard for that perception to change considering a lot(if not a majority) of competitive players around here, are a bunch of drugged up hippies throwing frisbees in a park...

Also, I don't think that's a bad thing either... I would rather we be thought of as that, instead of a bunch of drunks who leave there bud light cans all over the damn place...

Old 11-23-2018, 04:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 29
Niced 132 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
Science says otherwise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2562334/

A Molecular Link Between the Active Component of Marijuana and Alzheimer's Disease Pathology

"Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of Aβ aggregation"

What does this mean? It means that THC actively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE). When this enzyme is inhibited, the levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine are increased.

Acetylcholine is an excitatory human neurotransmitter that is involved in hand eye coordination and focus. Boost acetylcholine = boost performance.

There is a reason why so many athletes use it, half the NBA players, musicians, artists, etc. Why would so many spark up (or better yet eat it) before playing? Exactly.
I think you are confused.. That study does not conclude that thc will boost performance of an athlete. Pretty sure that it has been shown many times that marijuana intake does not boost performance. Here is a study that shows a decrease in pilots ability to fly after using marijuana.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1267035

Cannabis and Sport :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2657492/

Quote:
The question often asked in the case of a positive result for cannabis is whether it was consciously used for doping purposes. The answer is that this substance can only indirectly improve performance—it can have a euphoric effect, reducing anxiety and increasing the sociability of a player who may be particularly nervous before an important match
Old 11-23-2018, 04:14 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,153 Times in 1,585 Posts

Part (not all, but part) of the issue is the long term health effects of these substances. Remember Lyle Alzado, et. al.

Why the PDGA is all of a sudden looking to hire people in this arena is the more interesting question to me...

Niced: (1)

Old 11-23-2018, 04:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,202 Times in 2,230 Posts

We could always go the route that fishing tournaments have done... Lie detector tests...