Old 03-18-2019, 08:06 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Up weight or change disc?

Hi All,
I've been using an Innova Blizzard Champion Vulcan at 156g, for about two years. It's starting to dive down hard right at about 100ft.
Do I up the weight to something like 165g?
Or, use something else similar at around 155g?
My arm is not strong, I tend to throw understable discs straight.
Thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2019, 08:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 165
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 449 Times in 202 Posts

After two years of use your Vulcan may have worn and become more understable (turns easier).

My suggestion would be to get a new Vulcan, same plastic and same weight. If it flies straighter, you now have two variations of flight from one mold. If the new Vulcan turns over, you may need to look at your form.

You might get some helpful suggestions if you let folks know how far you are throwing your Vulcan.

Welcome to the site, and good luck!
Old 03-18-2019, 08:11 PM
Par Member

Niced 89 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmikebr View Post
Hi All,
I've been using an Innova Blizzard Champion Vulcan at 156g, for about two years. It's starting to dive down hard right at about 100ft.
Thanks in advance,
Blizzard plastic is liable to take a beating due to the bubbles in the rim. Wears in faster than normal champion. You could replace the same disc and get back to your desired flight most likely.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:21 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
After two years of use your Vulcan may have worn and become more understable (turns easier).

My suggestion would be to get a new Vulcan, same plastic and same weight. If it flies straighter, you now have two variations of flight from one mold. If the new Vulcan turns over, you may need to look at your form.

You might get some helpful suggestions if you let folks know how far you are throwing your Vulcan.

Welcome to the site, and good luck!
Thank you for the suggestions.
I usually can get out around 200ft with comparable discs, not very good on distance but usually good on accuracy. When I throw anywhere near overstable I either go hard left into the rough at around 100ft, or it goes up into a rainbow if thrown incorrectly.
I've been able to get up to 300ft with the Vulcan in the past, in a classic S-curve, which is my ultimate goal.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:23 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethamphetamine View Post
Blizzard plastic is liable to take a beating due to the bubbles in the rim. Wears in faster than normal champion. You could replace the same disc and get back to your desired flight most likely.
I'll give that a try. I thought one should up the weight if even a BC is starting to dive hard right, but, it just might be time to retire my "well-loved" Vulcan.
Thanks!
Old 03-18-2019, 08:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 165
Niced 449 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
I usually can get out around 200ft with comparable discs, not very good on distance but usually good on accuracy. When I throw anywhere near overstable I either go hard left into the rough at around 100ft, or it goes up into a rainbow if thrown incorrectly.
I've been able to get up to 300ft with the Vulcan in the past, in a classic S-curve, which is my ultimate goal.
You might find it easier to get full S-curve flight out of a slower disc - Star Valkyrie, Star Roadrunner, Champ Sidewinder, Plasma Insanity, or even a Star or Champion Leopard. Slower disc just means it is easier to get up to speed, so easier to get full turn and fade flight.

Sometimes slower discs go farther than faster discs. For one thing they are less sensitive to nose angle, so you can get more air under a slower disc without having it hyzer out early.

If your worn Vulcan is turning too early, you can also throw it with a bit more hyzer (outer edge of the disc angled slightly down) and have it flip up, maybe turn a bit, and then fade. This is a touchy shot but excellent for distance.

Last edited by Monocacy; 03-18-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 320 Times in 191 Posts

I would recommend a Leopard as well. you might really like the line you get on it.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:29 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Hi All,
Thanks in advance,
Heavier and be it Champion close to Bizzard, Blizzard for most discs only goes up to 160-162 grams and going up to 160 is not enough, something like 170 might work. Also try a new in Blizzard if they still sell Blizzard Champion at around 154-156 grams if you can find one.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:29 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Niced 207 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
I would recommend a Leopard as well. you might really like the line you get on it.
But for that one you should go with higher weights.

I agree that slower drivers (around speed 7 or maybe 9) are probably better suited. But they will have a smaller rim.

You'll sure need some time to get used to a new disc with a different flight. Give it the time.

Niced: (2)

Old 03-20-2019, 12:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 28
Niced 48 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
The positive effects of distance drivers don't really kick in till 300/350' or more. I'd try a slower understable fairway driver like the Underworld. You shouldn't lose much distance compared to your Vulcan, but it will be more controllable. Come to think of it, you could bag both of these discs- the Vulcan as your understable distance driver and the Underworld as your understable fairway driver, which you could probably use in most situations as your main driver (just not into a headwind). Also, nose down.

Niced: (1)