Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-04-2019, 09:34 PM

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Newbie Looking for Shallow, Stable Putter

Hey all, I settled on a Yeti Pro Aviar. Other highly recommended discs in this thread include the Envy, Bullfrog, Judge, Stud, Maiden, and Atom, for those still searching for the right putter! Thank to everyone that threw some advice my way!

You can read the original post under this spoiler-tag, and see my "ah ha" moment about rim shape on page two.
Hey Gang,

So I'm taking the advice in this post and running with it:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ad.php?t=32790

My current bag is:

- Focus
- Roc
- Cheetah
- Banshee
(and my trusty Cobra, which is the only disc I've aced with, but I'm really mostly sticking to the ones listed above, I just refuse to ever stop carrying that Cobra!)

The Focus was the first putter I started with early last summer, and since then I've extensively field tested and played:
- SS Wizard (feels too much like the Focus)
- Prime Warden (I'm afraid it would just beat to understable right away)
- Prime Judge (IIRC this might be a solid candidate, I liked how it felt in hand)

To a lesser extent I've tried out:
- DX Classic Aviar (felt like throwing a pizza . . . somehow it felt huge as it left my hand)
- DX Aviar P&A (felt pretty uncomfortable . . . hard to get a decent fan grip on for me)
- DX Rhyno (super comfortable, but also super overstable)

The thing is, I've now got three Foci I'm working and I, well, I hate to say it, but I just hate this disc. I hate how it feels in my hand. I hate the release I get from it (probably as much me as anything, I know). The bulbous nose of this and the Wizard just flummoxes my small hands. I have zero confidence with this disc because I've never liked it, but I figured I'd work with it because through fate I already had three. Of all the putters I've tried I think I liked the Judge the best, and I think it would fulfill the requirements of the article, but I no longer have one to confirm.

Other discs recommended in that article include the Challenger and the KC Pro Aviar (I'm going to shy away from Gateway Discs simply because of what I've heard about inconsistent plastics . . . I'm not a solid enough player at this point to deal with that). I've also heard nice things about the Yeti Pro Aviar and the Harp, but have yet to lay hands on either. The thing is, I don't want to keep sinking money into trying out this disc and that disc, and just feeling them up at the store doesn't really give me a sense of how they fly too.

TL;DR - Please, what are some shallow, stable putters you would recommend?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by maJsty14; 04-06-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

You want an Envy.

Harps are overstable and deep, so the opposite of what you want.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 26
Niced 92 Times in 78 Posts
Default Putter

Try a Bull Frog...very shallow and very stable but straight...has around a 2 glide but it’s numbers are 3.1.0.1 I think. It’s loke a beat in rhyno. It has a flat top vs the yeti which is puddle

Niced: (2)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:55 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

I think you were right on the money with the Judge, if you like the beaded feel then the Judge is a good stable option, and it is not as deep as many of the discs you said were too deep for you.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:58 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 98 Times in 47 Posts

A buddy of mine putts with a stud and I think that might be worth looking into. I know I could use it, low profile, stable, but not overstable. If I had to switch putters today, the stud would be among the early contenders.

The envy, as mentioned, is another winner disc and fits the criteria.

While that article is extremely helpful and worth exploring, just remember to follow your inclinations. If you jive with a putter it doesn't matter how stable it is or how much it fits garublador's philosophy. That is the most important thing.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 51
Niced 282 Times in 177 Posts

Judge is a great putter. Useful through it's life. I find it deep as a thrower, though.

Shallow putters worth considering are the (Infinite) Tomb and the (Westside) Maiden. They're similar to each other; good straight-stable putters. E Envy's will feel similar, but behave a little more OS. A little more US would be the Deputy.

One thing with shallow putters; they're generally faster (speed 3 vs normally 2). I find them to be great throwers, but they need a little more oomf as a putter, IMHO.

But, as others have stated, use what feels good and does the job you want it to!

Old 04-04-2019, 11:15 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 993 Times in 651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
You want an Envy.

Harps are overstable and deep, so the opposite of what you want.
Envy or Atom, depending on how much fade you like could be your way forward.

I have since moved to Swan 2s unless it’s windy, but the Atom was the first putter I ever felt at all comfortable with. They are lower profile, hold a good line and can take come power. Plus the feel is very consistent even between weights.

Envy is same, but more OS.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 415 Times in 304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maJsty14 View Post
Hey Gang,

So I'm taking the advice in this post and running with it:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ad.php?t=32790

My current bag is:

- Focus
- Roc
- Cheetah
- Banshee
(and my trusty Cobra, which is the only disc I've aced with, but I'm really mostly sticking to the ones listed above, I just refuse to ever stop carrying that Cobra!)

The Focus was the first putter I started with early last summer, and since then I've extensively field tested and played:
- SS Wizard (feels too much like the Focus)
- Prime Warden (I'm afraid it would just beat to understable right away)
- Prime Judge (IIRC this might be a solid candidate, I liked how it felt in hand)

To a lesser extent I've tried out:
- DX Classic Aviar (felt like throwing a pizza . . . somehow it felt huge as it left my hand)
- DX Aviar P&A (felt pretty uncomfortable . . . hard to get a decent fan grip on for me)
- DX Rhyno (super comfortable, but also super overstable)

The thing is, I've now got three Foci I'm working and I, well, I hate to say it, but I just hate this disc. I hate how it feels in my hand. I hate the release I get from it (probably as much me as anything, I know). The bulbous nose of this and the Wizard just flummoxes my small hands. I have zero confidence with this disc because I've never liked it, but I figured I'd work with it because through fate I already had three. Of all the putters I've tried I think I liked the Judge the best, and I think it would fulfill the requirements of the article, but I no longer have one to confirm.

Other discs recommended in that article include the Challenger and the KC Pro Aviar (I'm going to shy away from Gateway Discs simply because of what I've heard about inconsistent plastics . . . I'm not a solid enough player at this point to deal with that). I've also heard nice things about the Yeti Pro Aviar and the Harp, but have yet to lay hands on either. The thing is, I don't want to keep sinking money into trying out this disc and that disc, and just feeling them up at the store doesn't really give me a sense of how they fly too.

TL;DR - Please, what are some shallow, stable putters you would recommend?
Beat in that Rhyno and you'll be set. Let me know if you want to get rid of those Foci (finally someone else on here used the correct pluralization of Focus), and I might be able to hook you up with a beat Rhyno or 2 as well. Beat Rhynos make great throwers as well, and there isn't much a Champ can't handle in terms of wind, so you can putt and throw the same mold, just in different plastics. KC Aviar is a Rhyno without the thumbtrack in a super firm plastic, JK Aviars are much more flexible, and are the same mold as the KCs.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I agree with the Envy suggestions. If you like the Rhyno's depth and ease of grip, then you should like the Envy. It doesn't have the same thumb track top/flight plate though, few discs do. It's an excellent throwing and approaching putter.

I also agree with the Innova Stud suggestion, especially if you like the Judge. It is shallower but has a bead. I have only tried them in star plastic, but they are also an excellent throwing putter.

Again, I agree with the sentiment that you may have to putt harder or rely on less glide with these lower profile putters. But they are also far more forgiving with throws/drives. I would recommend trying out your Aviars/Wizards every so often too as you keep on playing, to see as you progress if you eventually like the easier loft they give you and the slower flight/control.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 98 Times in 56 Posts

Bullfrog or maiden