Old 08-26-2019, 03:26 PM

Years Playing: 2.4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Player Packs

For all of us TD's, what are your thoughts on providing shirts, water bottles, or other promotional products vs. just a disc for a small tournament player pack? I have had a lot of players not happy with a disc(s) if they happen to not throw the brand I have for the specific tournament. So I thought having a custom shirt or other item for the tournament might be better appreciated. I also found a company that can produce custom t-shirts or dri-fit shirts for less than the cost of a premium plastic disc, so I thought it might be a win-win... Thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2019, 03:43 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 350 Times in 124 Posts

I like the idea of shirts, but I wonder if the shirt sizing problem wouldn’t be worse than the disc brand/mold problem. Nobody wants to go through and have to choose between Smalls and XXLs and unless you have people register a long way in advance you’re going to have to guess at size distribution.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,612 Times in 1,504 Posts

Plenty of tournaments offer all sorts of player pack items like that. Just this year alone, I've done custom tee shirts, discs, totes, and minis for various player packs. I think as long as the retail value of the item is appropriate, give your players whatever you think is best. If you can work deals to get good items cheaper than usual, even better for you and the event.

I think why most TDs tend to fall back on discs (custom stamped or not) is that it is an item that every disc golfer should have a use for. Some might whine that it isn't the right brand or mold for their tastes, but I bet the same percentage is going to whine about a tee shirt not being the right color or a water bottle being of no use to them or whatever. Never going to make everyone happy, so just aim for the majority.

To me, the only downside to doing something like tee shirts is sizing. If you get everyone to pre-register in time, you can collect shirt sizes so you can order the right amounts. But if it's an event where people register late in the process or even day-of, getting the right sizes can be a bit of a crapshoot. Discs are way easier in the sense that they're more or less one-size-fits-all.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:32 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 112 Times in 45 Posts

I find choice is always the best...our state champs we had 2 wizards for a side event that ran over the 4 days, but players could then choose between either an extra wizard, a bottle of local wine or a course beanie. Id say it was nearly evenly split between the 3 options, showing you can never get it right, lol.

Year before was a disc with a generic course stamp, designed for the event though...and a custom shirt from discstore.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-02-2019, 11:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,319 Times in 1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
To me, the only downside to doing something like tee shirts is sizing. If you get everyone to pre-register in time, you can collect shirt sizes so you can order the right amounts. But if it's an event where people register late in the process or even day-of, getting the right sizes can be a bit of a crapshoot. Discs are way easier in the sense that they're more or less one-size-fits-all.
Plus, if you end up with surplus, it may be easier to get rid of discs.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,319 Times in 1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate22 View Post
I find choice is always the best...our state champs we had 2 wizards for a side event that ran over the 4 days, but players could then choose between either an extra wizard, a bottle of local wine or a course beanie. Id say it was nearly evenly split between the 3 options, showing you can never get it right, lol.

Year before was a disc with a generic course stamp, designed for the event though...and a custom shirt from discstore.
Yes, choice is best. Many events around here give a voucher, for a selection of merchandise, which greatly increases the odds that players will leave with something they can use.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 350 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Yes, choice is best. Many events around here give a voucher, for a selection of merchandise, which greatly increases the odds that players will leave with something they can use.
At that point why bother with a player pack? Just discount the entry fee by the amount of the voucher, and let them spend their own money. Less headache for the TD, and they get what they want.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,612 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Plus, if you end up with surplus, it may be easier to get rid of discs.
Roger that. Got 100 discs and 100 tee shirts for my B-tier at the start of summer...I've sold many of the surplus discs and none of the surplus tee shirts.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:01 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,554 Times in 708 Posts

I'm a fan of course logos on shirts or hats and hotstamps on discs versus tournament logos/hotstamps since they have a much longer shelf life. I think promotional items featuring courses has been an underutilized marketing option even though DGCR and players know adding to your course list is one of the things many players enjoy.

Niced: (2)

Old 09-02-2019, 01:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 68
Niced 250 Times in 143 Posts

I enjoy a good DRI-FIT style shirt. Please never give cotton or something that will shrink and fade.

Premium plastic is good as well. Just stick to the popular molds at 170g+ weights.

I understand this may sound picky, but im just relaying the best possibility for player pack happiness.

I dont play for the swag anyway. A tourney is a way to test my skill under pressure and competition. When i play i focus on the trophies!!!

Niced: (2)