Old 08-08-2010, 11:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 559 Times in 344 Posts
Default Disc Review Criteria

I'm going to make a Disc Golf website, and initially the main focus of the site will be disc review articles. I'm posting this to see if there's anything in particular you guys would like to see in a disc review. Video review? Text and pictures review? How about different categories, like flight characteristics, plastic durability, grippiness etc? How about comparing the disc to different molds in it's class? E.g. Pred VS Firebird and XXX, or Magnet VS Aviar PnA?

Here's an idea of the way I used to write reviews Link
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2010, 11:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 18
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Says we have to be a registered user on that forum to view your link.

Anyways, I'd like to see some disc vs. disc type stuff. Say that I'm familliar with **** disc, would be nice to see some real course/field type data and reviews on how it compares to others in its category.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 40
Niced 50 Times in 34 Posts

^I'll pm you something in a second
Old 08-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 46
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

You should talk with Blake T about doing a proper disc review. He has it down to a science.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 122
Niced 559 Times in 344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. America View Post
Says we have to be a registered user on that forum to view your link.

Anyways, I'd like to see some disc vs. disc type stuff. Say that I'm familliar with **** disc, would be nice to see some real course/field type data and reviews on how it compares to others in its category.
My bad, I forgot they did that. You can try http://www.bugmenot.com/view/bladeforums.com I suppose.

Frank, good idea. I'll PM him.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:48 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Definitely need comparisons to similar discs. The best way to learn about a disc is to throw it, no review can substitute for that (obviously). Things such as: stability like a X, but with glide like a Y and feels about like a Z. Generalities also help, like Joe's Universal Flight Chart, but a glide category would definitely help additionally. Estimated power requirements are helpful, along with how far the individual reviewer throws it.

Another thing that most review sites do is having a review "recommendation" ranking, like "this many people found this review helpful". Something I would like is a long period of time to go back and edit the review, such as one year. As you learn the disc better, it is better to edit your initial response rather than writing a new review. Comments on reviews are somewhat helpful.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:07 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

I really like how Innova has the discs up in 3D, I love seeing the profiles of discs especially.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 72 Times in 48 Posts

I've thought about this a lot as I write reviews for CDGS's Facebook page. I've decided to go with the simple format: Disc Feel, Disc Flight (speed/glide/HSS/LSS), Possible disc uses, and similar discs. This format allows someone to compare two discs in the same slot relatively easily. After a lot of thought I decided against using numbers or flight ratings for a variety of reasons. First of all, I'm a scientist, so I'm not going to assign arbitrary numbers to things I'm not actually taking scientific measurements of (disc flight is more of an art anyway). Secondly, numbers are too simplistic and do not tell even half the story of how a disc flies. What does speed 10 actually mean? Did they use a radar gun? Speed out of the hand, or speed retention late in flight? It's just so much more complicated. They also vary based on who's throwing the disc. Also, when assigning numbers, if the manufacturer comes out with a newer run that is more or less stable it really throws the numbers off. So I like qualitative comparisons and I think they are more useful to those reading the reviews.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts

This is probably similar to what you'll hear from Blake, but I like to see discs evaluated based on a set of criteria that's specific to the intended use of the disc. You proably look for different things in a midrange than you do in a very overstable driver. Rate each disc based on each of the use specific categories to come up with an overall rating.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 3
Niced 42 Times in 24 Posts

I think it would be cool too if you dedicated a certain amount of time to using said disc because I always felt like a lot of reviews maybe had the reviewer using the disc for a round or field practice. And knowing you ability to dedicate a week or two two 3 disc round I'd love to see you say that whatever disc you review you use every round for a week as a primary driver, or mid, kinda thing. That way we would know you really dedicated some time to it and you may find a great new piece to go along with your soon to be 450' wizard drives...