Old 06-05-2008, 12:29 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Five easiest ways to develop distance!

Hey everyone, I started www.lifelongdiscgolf.com a couple of months ago and I just posted an article that I think will be useful, especially for newer players. I included videos to help describe proper form, and I was wondering what the response from more experienced players would be as well?

If you care to check it out and let me know what you think, the link is http://lifelongdiscgolf.com/the-5-ea...c-golf-throws/.

I'd also appreciate critiques of the site as well, either in comments there or responses here. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2008, 02:04 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 230
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 15 Times in 6 Posts
Talking Your video

I looked over your video and thought you did a nice job explaining the steps. I sent it to a buddy of nine who is a novice and think it will help him. Thanks for taking the time to make it and I look forward to your next video.

JR Stengele
Old 06-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 143
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Greg Layton

You've got a nice looking blog going there. I added your feed to my Google reader and I plan on checking out the videos after work. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2008, 03:29 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback!

Also, I realize I am airbouncing my drives just a tad in the video, I was trying to show how to throw flat, controlled drives to start out with to develop distance, rather than throwing full distance right away.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehillis View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

Also, I realize I am airbouncing my drives just a tad in the video, I was trying to show how to throw flat, controlled drives to start out with to develop distance, rather than throwing full distance right away.
I'm not sure throwin flat is necessarily the best way to go. Hyzers and hyzer flips are generally the most predictable and many times the longest tyeps of throws.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 419
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Nice site....you should add a link to this site so that people can expand their horizons more....
Old 06-16-2008, 09:00 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

i can't even begin to tell you how helpful that was for me. my drives used to max out at maybe 315 or so. after reading your website, i went to a field at a local park and tried a few different things that i saw you do while throwing. granted my measurements probably aren't accurate, but one of my throws took 124 steps for me to reach my disc (roughly 376 feet??). and that was a throw that i accidentally put too much snap on it so that it ended up flying anhyzer! it would have went farther!

i could actually hear the snap of the disc as it left my hand. i don't believe i've ever heard one of my throws make that sound.

bottom line is that my drives were going an extra fifty feet farther then they've ever gone.

one thing i noticed was that you were releasing the disc on a plane closer to your shoulders. i used to release mine on a plane around the height of my waist/hips.

also, i slowed down my footwork. whenever i used to do my x-step, i would go way too fast, unbeknownst to me obviously for a very long time. this was ruining my timing.

i also knew that your arm should be straight and the farther behind you one reaches, the more velocity you will have on your throw but i could never do that. i'm assuming that's because my release point was low and my timing was off.

anyways, thanks a ton for that. if i hadn't watched that and noticed what i did, i'd probably still barely be hitting 300. now i just want to go throw/play again and work on developing more usable power but unfortunately i have to wait until wednesday!

Niced: (1)
Old 07-02-2008, 05:12 PM

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The "lawnmower" technique really helped me improve quickly on the distance of my drives, but I prefer to think of it as starting up a motorboat engine.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:12 PM

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Read it and watched the vids w/o sound . Usually do the straight arm thing. One guy was telling me about "The Pull". Here it is. Will work on The Pull and 10 feet and see if it makes a difference. Usually grip the thumb further out in the power grip, will try to bring it closer to the edge. Til then.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Disc Mafia Member

Years Playing: 32.6
Courses Played: 255
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber3201 View Post
The "lawnmower" technique really helped me improve quickly on the distance of my drives, but I prefer to think of it as starting up a motorboat engine.
LOL, that is just funny! I love the thought though, it is more of an upright motion that way. Just think someday lawnmowers will be electric or they will geneitcally design stunted grass and no one will ever know what we are talking about.