Old 03-17-2011, 10:11 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 828
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 30 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
That is what the PDGA is for, they can choose to not give approval to inferior walmart discs.
How does that keep a casual player from buying those cheap discs at walmart anyway?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2011, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy

Wouldn't these crap knockoff brands bring 100s of thousands of new players in the fold who would go out to the course, play with "real" players and then go to the "real" disc golf store and buy "real" discs?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 14
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkeberhart View Post
Either put tougher regulations on what companies can manufacture golf discs or face the potential fall of modern disc golf.
What?

We live in a free country. There are no (and should never be) regulations on who can manufacture golf discs. If I want, I can make discs out of drier lint and melted coke bottles in my garage and sell them on the side of the road.

Whether I can get them PDGA approved is another matter. Maybe the answer is that the PDGA shouldn't approve crap discs, but I'm not a huge fan of altering technical specifications for political reasons either.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 220
Niced 163 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinjack View Post
If it goes the way of the bike business, what will happen will be that there will still be innovation, it's just that that innovation will cost more. Companies like Innova, Discraft, Gateway, Lat 64, etc. will go up market, and people will pay more and more money for that latest best disc. On some level, that may be what Vibram is trying to do already. They may be ahead of the curve in marketing terms. Within that same mindset, Innova and the gang may have started heading that direction years ago when they started producing "premium" plastic.
Innovation will cost more, maybe. Perhaps companies such as Innova (just as an example) will be made stronger by the competition and be forced to curtail some of the "innovation" (i.e., the next NEW BIG THING WHICH USUALLY TURNS OUT NOT TO BE ALL THAT GREAT) and focus on their core product (i.e., the "old dependables" such as the Roc, et al).

That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, in my eyes. :shrugsmiley:
Old 03-17-2011, 10:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 115
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
Wouldn't these crap knockoff brands bring 100s of thousands of new players in the fold who would go out to the course, play with "real" players and then go to the "real" disc golf store and buy "real" discs?
That is a best case scenario. Looking at the picture with rose colored glasses. It may or may not work that way. I'm betting that our courses would end up being more crowded with n00bs (or 2DD's if you like), but the sport wouldn't actually grow very much, if at all.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 14
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinjack View Post
If it goes the way of the bike business, what will happen will be that there will still be innovation, it's just that that innovation will cost more. Companies like Innova, Discraft, Gateway, Lat 64, etc. will go up market, and people will pay more and more money for that latest best disc. On some level, that may be what Vibram is trying to do already. They may be ahead of the curve in marketing terms. Within that same mindset, Innova and the gang may have started heading that direction years ago when they started producing "premium" plastic.
Here's the real answer. If the market is truly big enough for someone to step in and make a profit with walmart quality discs, it's big enough to support quality brands, they just might end up costing more. It's how the market for golf clubs and bicycles and computers and a hundred other things work.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 256
Niced 47 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
How does that keep a casual player from buying those cheap discs at walmart anyway?
If they want to compete they will have to buy real discs. It will be a turn off for people to play with known inferior discs. How many of you actually still use a Raging inferno?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
Innovation will cost more, maybe. Perhaps companies such as Innova (just as an example) will be made stronger by the competition and be forced to curtail some of the "innovation" (i.e., the next NEW BIG THING WHICH USUALLY TURNS OUT NOT TO BE ALL THAT GREAT) and focus on their core product (i.e., the "old dependables" such as the Roc, et al).

That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, in my eyes. :shrugsmiley:
I'm just viewing this discussion in terms of things I know well (the bicycle business), thinking of my life experiences, work history, drawing comparisons and what-not. I could bore all of you to death with details, if you would like, but for now, I'll spare you.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:23 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 828
Niced 30 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
If they want to compete they will have to buy real discs. It will be a turn off for people to play with known inferior discs. How many of you actually still use a Raging inferno?
I think it's easy when posting here to fall into believing that most disc golfers care about tournaments, playing multiple courses, etc. The majority of players are people who play once in a while with one or two discs and who would never even think of looking for a website like this. That kind of player wouldn't know that it mattered if a disc was approved, let alone make purchasing decisions based on it.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom8658 View Post
Here's the real answer. If the market is truly big enough for someone to step in and make a profit with walmart quality discs, it's big enough to support quality brands, they just might end up costing more. It's how the market for golf clubs and bicycles and computers and a hundred other things work.
The problem with that, at least in terms of the bike biz, is there's no real profit, for anybody hardly. Sure, Trek's a profitable company, as are Shimano and Giant, but there aren't 2 more truly profitable companies in the bike business. And for what it's worth, Trek ain't that profitable. At least not profitable enough to be publicly traded.

Name another bike company of any size, and I can tell you the most recent time they went through bankruptcy, or had to "reorganize" to avoid it.