Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

View Poll Results: Do you hate the groove
YES(Always) 221 52.87%
NO(Never) 137 32.78%
SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it) 60 14.35%
Voters: 418. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 23
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by petecarp View Post
From what ive gathered the boss seems to be about as fast is it can be as far as disc standards are concerned. The 2.5 cm rim on the boss is the maximum width for a rim if it is going to be approved by the PDGA. On the other hand there is an aerobie disc (possibly the epic) with an asymmetric and very thick rim that is approved by the PDGA. So it could be a weight ratio dilemma instead of actual rim width.

can anyone clear this up?
The aerobie epic was grandfathered in under current PDGA disc rim standards ...
see this thread for more info on the epic and PDGA disc standards:http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...read.php?t=482
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 69
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Innova "the GROOVE" initial observations

Went out today in the most miserable of any condition I have ever played. Fog, rain, 50 degrees, snow melting creating rivers of ice. Miserable. Then again I was disc golfing. Played with a local Innova dealer who had a test press of the new Innova Groove. Speed rated 13 and supposed to be more stable than a boss.

Initial impressions and observations.

-Feels like a boss in your hand. WIDE rim.
-The under side of a rim has a groove in it. I am assuming this is why they called it such.
-The weight was a 170, but I guess they are trying to get it into the mid/lower 160's.
-I would say watching everyone throw it, and the reseller who has a consistent throw, that it flies almost identical to a Destroyer.
-It held a straight line longer than a beast but still had a hard dive at the end.
-Never once saw it turnover more than flat. It wants to fade like a destroyer.

I was hoping that the Groove would be more stable to understable, but then again this was only a new test pressing of the disc.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjulio View Post
-It held a straight line longer than a beast but still had a hard dive at the end.
meant to say the boss.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 44
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Went out today in the most miserable of any condition I have ever played. Fog, rain, 50 degrees, snow melting creating rivers of ice. Miserable. Then again I was disc golfing. Played with a local Innova dealer who had a test press of the new Innova Groove. Speed rated 13 and supposed to be more stable than a boss.

Initial impressions and observations.

-Feels like a boss in your hand. WIDE rim.
-The under side of a rim has a groove in it. I am assuming this is why they called it such.
-The weight was a 170, but I guess they are trying to get it into the mid/lower 160's.
-I would say watching everyone throw it, and the reseller who has a consistent throw, that it flies almost identical to a Destroyer.
-Never once saw it turnover more than flat. It wants to fade like a destroyer.

I was hoping that the Groove would be more stable to understable, but then again this was only a new test pressing of the disc.
I thought the Groove was supposed to be an understable Boss similar to a faster Wraith?
Old 12-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
I thought the Groove was supposed to be an understable Boss similar to a faster Wraith?
it's def more on the stable side as opposed to the overstable side compared to a Boss. In no way would I say this thing was anywhere near understable, and all I basically drive with is Wraiths.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 44
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
it's def more on the stable side as opposed to the overstable side compared to a Boss. In no way would I say this thing was anywhere near understable, and all I basically drive with is Wraiths.
disc golf sweden/English/nyheter.aspx Says that Innova calling it "a faster Monarch" so I am a little disappointed with what you have experienced. I Also heard that the Boss was only supposed to be able to be used properly by a small power group yet many say they are not power throwers but have benefited from throwing the Boss. It is too bad that results may even differ between each run of the Boss, Grove or any other Innova disc, As a Wraith thrower that cannot use the Boss for backhand throws, I hope that future runs of the Groove might be less stable.

Press Release from Innova.

Groove is in the air. A new driver from Rancho Cucamonga, California will be airborne soon, the Groove is a speed 13 slightly turning power driver. It is aimed at less powerful throwers as a complement to the Boss with a straighter flight and in lower weight, it goes down to 164 grams in Champion material. Preliminary figures for the flight rating are; Speed=13, glide=5, HSS=0-2 and LSS=2.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

so the glide is as fast as the boss with more fade. how is that much different than the xcaliber which doesnt seem to be too widely used.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 181
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I haven't own or tried throwing the Boss yet but do own several Wraiths and Destroyers.

Should I wait out for the Groove to come out or should I go ahead to buy Boss anyway? I like a little bit understable type of discs but not too understable that can be flipped too easy.

I'm on limited budget at the moment....it sucks!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

See if I can answer a few more questions from what I experienced.

In no way did this the Groove resemble any flight characteristic of a Monarch(which I use sparingly due to easy roll overs). I never saw the groove go more than perfectly flat and straight through it's flight, than a hard dive to the left (rhbh). Pure Destroyer flight path.

As for getting the Boss. Love that disc for three purposes.

1. Super fast hyzer disc that is really predictable.
2. When there is a strong left to right wind (rhbh) the Boss will hold a line pretty far.
3. You just can't rollover this disc. I have tried but it always will come back.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

You have any pictures of the disc, or is that confidential until release?