Old 10-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I moved to Texas few years ago, and I have heard so many times about the saying, "Don't Mess with Texas," prior to moving. Imagine my amusement when I found out that saying was originally used for an advertising campaign encouraging people to not litter in the state!

Only if I could catch someone littering in the act on the course, then I can scream, "Don't Mess with Texas!"
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2011, 06:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,130 Times in 1,058 Posts

^ interesting tid-bit.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notBOB View Post
pack it in pack it out
what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsplayname View Post
But the trash cans are a big deal to me, especially if I have an empty Gatorade bottle taking up too much space in my bag.
sounds like you need a bigger bag. if you brought it with you, then there's room to bring it back.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I usually take a walmart bag with me on several of the courses here and just pick up trash as I go. Of course these are closed courses anyway, just because you are a club member doesn't exclude you from being a DB. It's actually pretty amazing that since one has been closed to the public for most of the summer how clean it is. There are a couple of trash cans still that get used by the people that do play. On the other one where there is no trash cans, most people clean up after themselves with the occasional Gatorade bottle lying around. The ones with cans are total trash heaps, lots of trash near cans, on tees, in the trees, middle of the fairways. If you can pack it in, you sure as hell can pack it out. I carry more than my fair share of trash out nearly every round I play, I would like the city to see the public courses and get behind building new ones and one of the ways that happens is if we keep them clean.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 156
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic

A few things I've noticed

Often trash thats withing 30 feet of a can is the act of animals or birds who pick the garbage out of the trash and when they are done they dont put the trash back in the can...often trash can knockovers are the same culprits

trash cans dont do anything to stop littering...those who litter are apt to litter whether theres a can at every tee or not

trash cans full of beer cans and liquor bottles actually make disc golfers look worse...I'd rather people just pack it up and take it off the course

aluminum cans of beer/soda/drinks smashed flat are the ultimate pack it out drinks

I have noticed that I see mostly alcoholic beverage cans and energy drink cans strewn in the woods...this seems to support the fact that both of these chemicals promote impulsivity and normal law abiding types become "I dont care litterbugs" with a few drinks in them....rarely is a juice,water or sportsdrink container found as often as these energy/alcohol

best method for preventing litter is when u see someone doing it to go over and quiestly pick it up...or even to gather trash as you play....makes a silent impression and makes people realize the error in their ways without creating a confrontation
Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 44 Times in 31 Posts

^^^

Good post.

Imma volunteer course maintenance guy, I pick up and empty the nasty stuff in the cans.
As said above , I see mostly alcohol containers in the trash cans. I understand, you can get busted with them in your car, so you need to get rid of them.

I think we should ban alcohol in public parks, and aggressively pursue prosecution for offenders, with hefty fines and penalties, a portion of the collected revenue going toward the salary of the park worker charged with picking up said cans.

Second, more cans = more trash. It always works this way, just like building more roads puts more cars on the street, its just the way things happen, so more cans is not always the best option.

I think there should be one big can in a central area somewhere in a park, within fifty feet of the parking lot for the really lazy people that dont want to carry the doggie poop bags and old diapers, and everything else should be LNT.
Litterers should be required to spend some time doing cleanup in the park as a penalty. A couple weeks of emptying those juicy stinky cans will make somebody change thier habits real fast.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post

aluminum cans of beer/soda/drinks smashed flat are the ultimate pack it out drinks

rarely is a juice,water or sportsdrink container found as often as these energy/alcohol
I pick up more water bottles and Gatorade bottles than beer bottles. So in that case you are sadly mistaken and your thinking is flawed, I hate drunks too but the amount of garbage I pick up and see mostly says that theory is wrong.
I do find more percentage of beer left on Tee's, but water bottles, energy drinks, and gatorade/powerade bottles everywhere else and more of them. Not a lot of animals besides the chuckers here on city courses and animals don't pull out random bottles and cans and leave food wrappers in the can, again your theory doesn't work here. It's disc golfers, lazy, DB disc golfers that are most often the cause. The reason the city put in cans is to have trash thrown in them so I really doubt they give a crap what goes in as long as it isn't outside of the can, they also don't check, just have someone pick it up.
If we could get people to take their trash with them, shouldn't be too hard everyone is familiar with "Pack it in, pack it out" then we could keep the courses clean. Also LESS cans seem to work as well, I am more likely to fill my bag if I know there is a can a few holes up, maybe DB's that litter would hold their trash until then. (very thin theory, I know. Twats will be twats.)
Old 10-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 128
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

DB litterbugs will throw their Rockstar and Natty Ice cans on the ground thrash can or not.I prefer a course to have them so I have something to dispose of mine and others trash I police up on the course.Picking up trash takes very little time and it does make a big difference.Myself and some friends who are also DGCR peeps have trash days at Jim Barnett and Sherando DGC.I take pride in my local courses since I play at those courses so often I want them to be clean and picked up, the last thing I want is to play a trashy course and have out of town players come to play dirty course in which I take pride in.I love this awesome game and want it to be taken seriously.Take pride in your courses and put in a little work and give something back.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 156
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic

I do think the more litter on the ground the more likely someone else might decide to litter.....I always wonder about the guy who goes to the effort to hide his littering...like he will shove it deep in a tree wedge or try to stuff behind a tree......if youre gonna go through the trouble why not just pack it out?

Old 10-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Natty Ice choice of DB's everywhere!

I do have to say I pick up a lot of Natty Ice cans.. wtf? seriously?