Courses Played: 31
Niced 339 Times in 126 Posts

Carbonated.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Intentional super bubbled x-outs...interesting.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:17 PM
*Legalize It*

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

i dont really throw stuff thats not already offered in low weights but im glad to see it! .. a 150g Champ Wraith or Katana might be up my alley tho
Old 12-15-2011, 03:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 35
Niced 29 Times in 13 Posts

Look at the starlight stuff. Theyre lighter and more OS than there max weight counterparts. So I have no reason to think that these wont act in the same way
Old 12-15-2011, 03:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 82 Times in 51 Posts

It seems like they must have found a new material. The problem with light discs has always been that they were simply made of less plastic, not only by weight, but by volume. Since flight plates are already so thin even on heavy discs, when they take weight away it comes disproportionally from the outside rim of the disc. This results in lighter discs being less gyroscopic than their heavy counterparts in most cases. Hopefully they have found a solution to this, because I think lightweight discs have HUGE potential that is largely untapped due to the molding issues.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 29
Niced 220 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol6566 View Post
Look at the starlight stuff. Theyre lighter and more OS than there max weight counterparts. So I have no reason to think that these wont act in the same way
completely different . they dont even use it anymore either
Old 12-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripenemys2k View Post
im not positive the flight will be duplicated, but if it flies somewhat the same it would be cool. i dont throw bosses, but a 150champ that flies similiar to a max weight champ as opposed to an r-pro 150, it could make the bag for absolute max-D at some point (wind permitting). anyone else kinda feel the same way or am i crazy..
Kinda crazy to release DX Bosses and them follow them up with Champ Bosses in low weights. Seems like two discs filling one slot.
With that said however, we'll have to see if these fly as stated or not and how they hold up compared to regular Champ. I'm wondering if they'll seem gummy or floppy?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 35
Niced 29 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter View Post
completely different . they dont even use it anymore either
I know that this is completely different than the starlight.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 114
Niced 14 Times in 7 Posts

Dave D asked about players' interest in lightweight champ discs in his PDGA thread. And it looks to be something he would really like to push if there is enough interest. One of his posts:

I guess I could have asked the question a little differently. One thing I want to know is if people are interested or know of others who would be interested in light weight Champion long range drivers. The other question would be probably a little trickier as people might not have an idea of what weight is actually best for them until they try. But that question is: what weight do you think would work best for you?

The fact of the matter is that we are able, (with some difficultly), to make virtually any weight Boss, Destroyer, Katana, etc. in Champion down to about 110 gms. If we bother to go to the research time and expense, will disc golf respond to this new product or will they continue to follow the mantra of "heavier is better".

Personally, I have tried every weight there is in our long range drivers and find that I am getting better results with 150 gms than I was with 170 gms. As a side note: I had Bobby Musick try a 155 and 157 gm Boss at La Mirada last weekend and he was not only able to throw it immediately, but he threw it better than he threw his heavies. He was just as accurate, but longer.

So far, I can only see three disadvantages and at least four advantages. The disadvantages are: they don't penetrate leaves and other foliage as well, they don't forgive poor throwing (flutter) as well, they may not be as good in the wind, (although this has not been shown yet). So far, any wind disadvantage seems to be tied to flutter. And, also tied to flutter is that they don't work as well for side arms because it is too easy to flutter.

The advantages I see are: they are much easier to whip, they carry farther, they make my bag lighter when I have several, they do well with hitting trees as they don't seem to taco as much, they seem to have a little less low speed overstability. Subjectively, they are more fun and I don't seem to get as tired.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 51
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If somebody gets one and confirms that it floats, I'd consider buying one. The only Innova I currently throw is a Echo Archon though.