Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,280 Times in 864 Posts
Default Kids disc golf-how you can help.

Last Fall I put together a program (with a lot of help) to teach kids disc golf. Basically we just put the discs in the kids hands and gave them some instruction. I sold the idea to our local Optimist Club, which runs local youth sports already. The idea was to plug into the existing youth sports structure, which would make us seem more legit than "random guy offers disc golf lessons." We piggybacked the school flyer and registration with soccer, which gave us a lot of exposure. We started up with 21 kids, which was a pretty good jumping off point. The kids got a shirt and two discs and we showed them the basics of how it was done.

Gateway helped with the discs, the local club provided volunteers and the City allowed us to use the course for free. That helped us keep our expenses down. This year we got an innovation grant from the PDGA, so that will help as we move forward this year. We are going to expand to Spring and Fall programs and add a few things like offering lessons to parents so they can learn along with the kids, offering a adult/child division in our doubles league, etc.

The only downside to all this is that the Optimist Club bylaws state that the program has to be free. No income + expenses = problems. We sat down and crunched numbers, and even with the PDGA grant we are going to be in the red.

So here is my pitch: We need minis. Kids love minis and you can't really teach the proper playing etiquette without them. However, they are not essential and are the first thing that gets cut when the program goes red.

I could also use a stack of light plastic. We make sure the kids get new discs to start the program, but every week some kids show up without them. We also played some games where we needed extra discs and just ended up using my discs. If I had a box of 25 or so 150 class or LW discs we could use it would come in handy.

If you have minis and/or lightweight discs you can part with, PM me and I'll give you the address to send them to. We will use them to pass the game on to the next generation. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 40
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you considered the EDGE program?

Great idea, BTW!
Good Luck!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 256
Niced 47 Times in 26 Posts

It is cheaper to buy used light discs. I have tried edge
Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 11
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to drickanderson

I have been toying around with an idea like this for a while. Way to execute and get it done! Awesome!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 102
Niced 37 Times in 15 Posts

I am sitting on a few hundred mini's of assorted color with my club stamp on them but I can ask the other board members if they would mind donating about 50 to you for the kids.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 475 Times in 201 Posts

This is a fantastic idea.
PM your address and I'll send you some minis.
All my expendable 150g discs have been sold and given away already.
Have you tried or thought about employing the typical Optimist model of splitting into teams and getting business sponsors?? Lots of Pros and Cons to this idea, obviously. But I love your groundbreaking effort.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,280 Times in 864 Posts

Thanks for the support!

To answer the Edge question: Edge is set up for schools. It based off the idea that you have a field with no targets and a PE teacher that doesn't know diddly squat about disc golf. If that is what you are dealing with, I'm sure it's great. I don't need portable goals, the program meets at a park with a course. I don't need any curriculum because I already know how to teach sports to kids (that 21 years of youth sports coaching finally came in handy for something) and I'm not a school so I don't have to pretend it's educational. All I need is plastic. Cheap, light plastic. Edge is a good source of light plastic, but it ain't cheap.

Edge I think works off the idea that the school would have a stash of discs and every PE class would use the same discs. One of the basic ideas behind my program was that we give the kids discs and they keep the discs. To me it would be silly to teach them a sport and then keep the equipment. If the kids are going to actually pick up the sport and start to play rounds, they need discs. We give them that.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 256
Niced 47 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Thanks for the support!

To answer the Edge question: Edge is set up for schools. It based off the idea that you have a field with no targets and a PE teacher that doesn't know diddly squat about disc golf. If that is what you are dealing with, I'm sure it's great. I don't need portable goals, the program meets at a park with a course. I don't need any curriculum because I already know how to teach sports to kids (that 21 years of youth sports coaching finally came in handy for something) and I'm not a school so I don't have to pretend it's educational. All I need is plastic. Cheap, light plastic. Edge is a good source of light plastic, but it ain't cheap.

Edge I think works off the idea that the school would have a stash of discs and every PE class would use the same discs. One of the basic ideas behind my program was that we give the kids discs and they keep the discs. To me it would be silly to teach them a sport and then keep the equipment. If the kids are going to actually pick up the sport and start to play rounds, they need discs. We give them that.
You nailed it.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 247
Niced 172 Times in 90 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff

I don't have any minis that I can donate, but I have a brand new 150 Shark and a new 150 Aviar, and a used 150 Shark if you would like those. If you are interested shoot me a PM with your addy and the date you need them by and I will get them to asap. I love this idea and would be more than happy to donate whatever I can.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Thanks for the support!

Gotchya.
I'll see what I can scare up, however most of the local club members hibernate during the winter