Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.4
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 198 Times in 113 Posts

I suggest you do what I did: start with fun, non-traditional events like the Vibram Birdie Bash or the Legacy or Discraft Ace Race. You'll have a ton of fun and get a feel for playing with something on the line. Then, try and find a non-PDGA tournament. Preferabbly one with a Rec division. Play that, see how much you like it and then move on to PDGA events. Ithink going slow and steady will greatly benefit you. It did for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 198 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violets caddy View Post
Embarrassing yourself is mandatory
Go to the mcbeth thread and watch the vid of him yanking a drive, or go find the vid where uli yanks his upshot 90 degrees in the wrong direction.
Every golfer, regardless of skill level, is required to make a complete ass of himself from time to time. If you don't then your not really one of us
Straight up. I did it twice in one round last weekend at the 303 Ams. At CHU, I step up to the teepad and see the juiciest ace run of my life. 192 feet, gap in the trees to the right. The perfect shot for my Pig and to win the 300 dollar ace pool...the. perfect. Shot. So what I do? Yank my shot and hit a tree 2 feet in front of the teepad which kicks my disc hard right. I salvaged a par out of my Butt.

Three holes later...280 feet, fairly low shot with some trees to the left. Perfect ace run for a powered down Volt. I line up the money shot...and throw it into the tree 10 feet off to the left of the teepad. Kicked my disc behind me....BEHIND ME...and I think I was laughing harder than the other guys on my card.

It happens. You're going to blow aime shots. Miss some putts. Shank some juicy drives over a fence or going deep OB. But that's all part of the game.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk chef View Post
Yeah I was there spectating with my 3 boys. Got me thinking I want to join. I just wasn't sure if there was a lower level field of play.
yeah, there was a rec division. i think last place was like +30 or something like that! but to me after day 1 it was all about just having fun and playing "my" game and well i finished 2nd on my card. i would def look to playing doubles and monthly tourneys in the rec divisions at HB, La Mirada, El Dorado. if you have a Facebook, look up West coast disc golf, Jeff was the one that set up the La mirada tourney. if you ever come to SD hit me up i'll play a round with ya at Morely not to mention watching MdBEast was AWESOME!

Last edited by spongey600; 03-28-2013 at 11:30 PM.