Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 04-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 42
Niced 92 Times in 57 Posts

I would also go with the random doubles option and enforcing a start time, and this really forces the socialization issue because you may have to play with someone you don't know. You may not even need the different pools, depending on the skill levels of most of the players and the difficulty of the courses. I played a lot of random dubs with the BCDC in Durham, NC, is was always a great time and I made a lot of friends.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Fixed partners? Me no like. Flex start time? Me no like.

Fix the start time and do random draw dubs (more new players would come) and keep track of everyone's score seperate, or do single player.

Just saying; they way it's set up now does not encourage more people to join (which may or may no be your goal).
Old 04-26-2013, 12:12 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

To the post above... I've never heard of random draw with the individuals score kept for 8 weeks. I kinda like that, but kinda don't, idk.

Anyway.

If you sign up for a 5:30 league and don't show up till 6 or 7 and then whine because you think the wind wasn't there when you weren't there, you are either bitchmade or too serious. Disc golf is fun!

Disc golf is even more fun when we play together with old friends and make new friends. I've never met a disc golfer that I didn't like.

I see your problem. If you guys are just playing one round, maybe you could start at 6. That way people have time to get there. If a team can only get one member there on time they have to play cali. Do a shotgun start and everyone will be done by dark.

I think if you enforce the rules, people will follow. Running a league is hard work. You should get (demand) the respect you deserve.

Adding an ace pool or some ctp holes that you have to pay for before 6 could bring people in on time. Also, winning a ctp will make the bitchmades less grumpy.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:33 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,252 Times in 854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
Why is the LC being such hardasses? Ive had a few guys tell me they were difficult to deal with.
The Lion’s Club is not a Parks and Recreation agency; they are a bunch of guys who joined a civic organization that own a piece of land they let the public use. They have no one with any formal training in management of public land. They are not plugged into MPRA or NRPA and have no access to or experience with risk assessment for recreational land.

What they DO have is an insurance agent. The insurance agent (not surprisingly) is telling them that they need to require that all of these outside users need to buy insurance policies to use Lion’s Club Park.

The comical part is that they have a TON of ancient dilapidated playground equipment in the park. All of that stuff presents a clear liability issue that greatly outweighs any possible liability involving disc golf, but they like the old playground equipment. They think it is cool for somebody to let their grandkids play on the same playground equipment they did as a kid, so they leave it for sentimental reasons. It just punctuates the fact that they really don’t understand the risk assessment they should be doing.

To get them to understand that would first involve the members of a club that has run a park open to the public for 70-something years coming to grips with and admit to themselves that they really don’t know what they are doing and being willing to accept some help with their risk assessment. I don’t see that happening. Ever.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:59 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,252 Times in 854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinjack View Post
I think you would do better if you changed to a drop-in when you feel like it-pay out every week league, especially if you're gonna have a set in stone start time.
This is just me, but if you want a "I'm going to show up when it is convenient for me" program I'm not your guy. I've run some like that, and people were jerks. Either we started on time and people showed up 10 minutes late and yelled at me, or we waited around ticking off the guys who were on time. You end up calling people trying to figure out if they are going to show up or not since you never knew. When only 3-4 people showed up, they got pissed at me like it was my idea for no one to show up. I ended up wasting my time when no one was there because I WAS there. Then when I did need a day off and told people in advance that we are not playing on such and such date, people showed up and got mad at me for not being there.

People who put up with drop-in leagues have a lot more patience for crap than I do. I make the commitment to be there on league night. It's not always convenient for me, but I'm there. I work my schedule around things to be there. I was there for 30 weeks last year. I have not missed a night yet since we started. All I'm asking from the players is to be there seven of eight weeks at a time, and your partner can play Cali or get a sub if you can't be there. I don't think I'm asking for an impossible commitment here.