Old 11-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothyfish View Post
That's the range I'm in. My Valks are going about 330-350 and I was looking for the overstable compliment. It's just that according to the numbers (Discraft, Joe's chart) this thing was listed as really overstable. I almost expected to throw it in a complete hyzer circle and hit myself in the a$$!

I'm going out tomorrow with 2 Starfires, a Viking, and a Teebird. That will be a better comparison, because if my throw is off, those discs will tell me because I know them fairly well.
Lol, that sounds like my wife's experience with the 172 Z I got in a Misprint bundle. She's around 250' with a Valk, but the Predator is way too overstable for her. It didn't quite come back at her, but it went more left than forward.

I threw it a few times and got it to stay flat with a moderate fade at the end, but it didn't feel like something I could bank on for every throw at this point. So to me, it sounds like the numbers are right, but might be skewed towards those of us with lesser arms.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts

It sounds like OAT to me, especally if you're throwing a Starfire-X straight at those distances. They should be overstable for you, too.

My suggestions would be to throw slower drivers and throw them like you would your mids and to stop gauging how discs fly based on a flat throw.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 31
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
It sounds like OAT to me, especally if you're throwing a Starfire-X straight at those distances. They should be overstable for you, too.

My suggestions would be to throw slower drivers and throw them like you would your mids and to stop gauging how discs fly based on a flat throw.
Flat throw might be the wrong description. I should restate and say "normal", meaning I'm not trying to anny or hyzer flip or something.

But wouldn't flat give you a baseline flight path, assuming it is done for all discs? Granted, I didn't have a Valk and Starfire with me to compare. If I would have turned my Starfire, then i know I would have had a problem with form. Sounds like I did anyway, but there always begs the question if it was the disc or me, without a proper baseline.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Let me add something here. I would have to say that my natural release is slightly hyzer. When I was starting out with golf discs, it was too much hyzer and low on snap and I've brought it up a bit.

So when I say flat, I don't mean perfectly parallel to the ground, I should restate and say neutral, with no intentional hyzer or anny lines. Wording issue, here. So I like to use this neutral release to test discs.

I broke rule 1 of experiementation: Never test anything new with out a familar, proven, comparison.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 28
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to discgolphinmafaukner

That is very weird. Perhaps you should try now throwing them as hard or moving up in weight.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm convinced now that it was me. There have been plenty of responses here that suggest this disc in my range is overstable. I was doing it a bit rushed...

On the bright side, I'm encouraged that I didn't waste money and trades on discs I won't like.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 51 Times in 22 Posts

I'd make sure you're actually getting a hyzer release. Lots of discs will act quite a bit different if thrown slightly hyzer or slightly anhyzer, both of which are easy to do when trying to throw near flat.

When evaluating discs I'd recommend throwing lots of different lines. Throw shallow and steep hyzers and anhyzers. Try forcing it over, forcing it under and throwing clean. Thow high and low and try to get it to hold hyzers, anhyzers, straight lines and 'S' shots.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
When evaluating discs I'd recommend throwing lots of different lines. Throw shallow and steep hyzers and anhyzers. Try forcing it over, forcing it under and throwing clean. Thow high and low and try to get it to hold hyzers, anhyzers, straight lines and 'S' shots.
I do all that! Just not on purpose! LOL!

Thanks to everyone for all your feedback. As I am still young in this sport, I appreciate all the help I've gotten from everyone.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

And I just got back from the practice field. Much better today.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

You mean your no longer turning a predator?

People can once again let their children roam the disc golf course?