#1001  
Old 07-26-2016, 11:12 PM
J-Bright J-Bright is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 136
Niced 31 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
It's all deserved, from what I've heard (with a local source). John just isn't good at business. There's not much more to it than that.
I, too, have heard this and agree with you.

This is why I don't do any business with him. I strictly pay what is to be paid, I stay there a few nights over a weekend. I've had great luck with the courses being amazing and the people i'm with are amazing as well. I'll continue to go there until or if something were to happen to me/my group where we are done wrong.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #1002  
Old 07-26-2016, 11:49 PM
Stardoggy's Avatar
Stardoggy Stardoggy is offline
**SuIciDe AnKles**
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Plymouth, WI
Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 528
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,261
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts
Default

It's all a damn shame, too. The collection of courses there is second to NONE. An absolutely perfect piece of DG property, with a bunch of world class courses (when they're maintained). Honestly, I don't much care about any of the rest of it. The Honka, or camping, is just fine with me. I don't care about junky surroundings, as long as the courses are in great shape. If he'd just concentrate on the courses being immaculate, more people would show up. At some point, he just needs to let it sink in that Highbridge is just too damn far out there to ever get the traffic it needs to be a big business.
Reply With Quote
  #1003  
Old 07-27-2016, 08:51 AM
BKRanger BKRanger is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Antigo, WI
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 107
Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Shame is definitely right. Just seeing those pics posted earlier, seeing the fairway to BB 3 like that makes me outright sad. I hope the courses can return to quality in the future and I hope it can remain open in one way or another. As J-Bright said (I am one of the group he spoke of) we will continue to go as long as it works for us. We just go looking for amazing golf which we have gotten 3 years in a row now and we are all fingers crossed for a 4th this fall. It seems every year we hear about bad things on this thread and we all get anxious before going but our trip is always amazing and the highlight for our "club" every year.

Down the road Stardoggy if we do have to go elsewhere would be great to play with you in the Rollin' area. I've played RR but none of the other courses in the area
Reply With Quote
  #1004  
Old 07-27-2016, 09:28 AM
Swisher Streets's Avatar
Swisher Streets Swisher Streets is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Iowa
Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 85
Posts: 1,219
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
It's all a damn shame, too. The collection of courses there is second to NONE. An absolutely perfect piece of DG property, with a bunch of world class courses (when they're maintained). Honestly, I don't much care about any of the rest of it. The Honka, or camping, is just fine with me. I don't care about junky surroundings, as long as the courses are in great shape. If he'd just concentrate on the courses being immaculate, more people would show up. At some point, he just needs to let it sink in that Highbridge is just too damn far out there to ever get the traffic it needs to be a big business.
He just saw this motivational picture and incorporated it into the HH business model.

Reply With Quote
  #1005  
Old 07-27-2016, 09:35 PM
J-Bright J-Bright is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 136
Niced 31 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
It's all a damn shame, too. The collection of courses there is second to NONE. An absolutely perfect piece of DG property, with a bunch of world class courses (when they're maintained). Honestly, I don't much care about any of the rest of it. The Honka, or camping, is just fine with me. I don't care about junky surroundings, as long as the courses are in great shape. If he'd just concentrate on the courses being immaculate, more people would show up. At some point, he just needs to let it sink in that Highbridge is just too damn far out there to ever get the traffic it needs to be a big business.
I agree, I don't care at all much about the other stuff, it's all fine for what it is.
I think it has sunk in that it's too far out, which is why all these other "money grabs" have happened, along with the "help" he's getting recommending such things and encouraging it.
Reply With Quote
  #1006  
Old 07-28-2016, 09:06 AM
Stardoggy's Avatar
Stardoggy Stardoggy is offline
**SuIciDe AnKles**
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Plymouth, WI
Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 528
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,261
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bright View Post
I agree, I don't care at all much about the other stuff, it's all fine for what it is.
I think it has sunk in that it's too far out, which is why all these other "money grabs" have happened, along with the "help" he's getting recommending such things and encouraging it.
If he'd just mow the grass and not worry about the other stuff, the place would be fine.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #1007  
Old 07-28-2016, 10:15 AM
J-Bright J-Bright is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 136
Niced 31 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
If he'd just mow the grass and not worry about the other stuff, the place would be fine.
Yea I agree, but from my experiences I haven't had any issue other than played Bear front 9 and it was fairly long but not like up to my knees long.

Just focus on the courses (just the ones currently in place) and then secondarily maybe any of the cabins he rents out. Everything else is him/them thinking too big doing too much. His plans sound cool but also unattainable.
Reply With Quote
  #1008  
Old 07-28-2016, 01:56 PM
smarkquart smarkquart is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hutchinson, MN
Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 177
Posts: 3,671
Niced 118 Times in 73 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bright View Post
Yea I agree, but from my experiences I haven't had any issue other than played Bear front 9 and it was fairly long but not like up to my knees long.

Just focus on the courses (just the ones currently in place) and then secondarily maybe any of the cabins he rents out. Everything else is him/them thinking too big doing too much. His plans sound cool but also unattainable.
We played Bear two weeks ago and half the course was nearly unmanageable, especially around Hole 12. The valley between the tee and the basket was nearly chest high weeds, making the eight foot drop off on the right side impossible to see. Our friend, who already had ankle issues, took a nasty tumble on Thursday. By Saturday he was able to play on crutches and do stand and deliver shots only because we had carts for Gold and Granite.
Reply With Quote
  #1009  
Old 07-28-2016, 05:38 PM
J-Bright J-Bright is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 136
Niced 31 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
We played Bear two weeks ago and half the course was nearly unmanageable, especially around Hole 12. The valley between the tee and the basket was nearly chest high weeds, making the eight foot drop off on the right side impossible to see. Our friend, who already had ankle issues, took a nasty tumble on Thursday. By Saturday he was able to play on crutches and do stand and deliver shots only because we had carts for Gold and Granite.
Curious if you talked to someone before playing it and they may have let you know that... I was never informed that they back 9 even had baskets yet, so I hadn't planned on touching at least the back 9 of bear. I'm assuming with the entire Abby helping then leaving then helping then leaving and no idea where she is now, probably did hinder some of the mowing assuming she did partake in mowing.

Hope your buddy is OK though that sounds awful. Surprised you guys kept playing bear if it was that bad and didn't just jump over to woodlands.
Reply With Quote
 

  #1010  
Old 07-28-2016, 06:39 PM
smarkquart smarkquart is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hutchinson, MN
Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 177
Posts: 3,671
Niced 118 Times in 73 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bright View Post
Curious if you talked to someone before playing it and they may have let you know that... I was never informed that they back 9 even had baskets yet, so I hadn't planned on touching at least the back 9 of bear. I'm assuming with the entire Abby helping then leaving then helping then leaving and no idea where she is now, probably did hinder some of the mowing assuming she did partake in mowing.

Hope your buddy is OK though that sounds awful. Surprised you guys kept playing bear if it was that bad and didn't just jump over to woodlands.
The majority of our group arrived Friday morning/ afternoon, but a smaller group of us came early Thursday with the expressed mission of finishing Bear. My putting could have been tremendously better, but I walked away with an 82. For as difficult as that course is, and considering how poorly I played on Gold (although I am going to hide behind the excuse that I developed food/water poisoning and had a fever from Friday night to Monday afternoon), I had some tremendously good shots on Bear. I played well on Blueberry (we played a NCAA bracket style challenge, so scores were irrelevant) with my only bad hole being Hole 8. I also had some absolute bombs on Granite, but we played a modified best shot trio which means I had to sit out a few shots, so I have no idea how I would have done there as well. Maybe it was for the best; with my fever, I could reach back and get some serious distance, but if I needed a finesse shot, that was a different story.

My friend who twisted his ankle finished the round on Bear, but he had to take a sitting rest whenever we could. I had my Delta Cart with me knowing he would have to sit. Lugging that around the course was almost impossible, but it was worth it because he was able to sit enough to finish the round. He then excused himself from all our Friday rounds. The only other time I used my Delta was during our bracket round on Blueberry. On Woodland and Gold I used my Grip, and since I was barely conscious when we played our Granite round, I just put four discs (Pure, BioFuzion Truth, Star Leopard3, and a Champion Wraith) in the NutSac.

I can tell you that drive away from Highbridge was the longest of my life. I had to drive straight from Highbridge to Many Point Scout Camp (just north of Detroit Lakes in north-west Minnesota). The trip would have normally been five and a half hours, but with EVERY round in and out of Highbridge except one washed out, I had to backtrack an hour and a half just to get northbound again toward Duluth. I stopped at the Hayward Walmart, picked up some fever medicine, and had to stop every 60 to 90 minutes to take a 20 minute nap. I left Highbridge at 9:30am and arrived at Many Point just after 6pm.

I hope this does not turn out to be my last experience at Highbridge. I need another crack at it, so hopefully all this financial stuff gets sorted out enough to keep the place open. However, my group, which makes this trip every other year, is strongly looking at possibly making a different destination our every other year trip. During the odd years we pick a new place knowing that if that trip fails, at least the following year we would be heading back to Highbridge.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HOD 8/17/2018: Highbridge Hills - Blueberry Hill Hole 8 in Highbridge, WI fritothedog Hole of the Day 20 08-19-2018 08:02 PM
HOD 1/5/2018: Highbridge Hills - Highbridge Gold Hole 2 in Highbridge, WI fritothedog Hole of the Day 27 01-11-2018 01:24 PM
HOD 4/30/16: Hole 6 @ Highbridge Hills - Granite Ridge in Highbridge, WI ilmcgee Hole of the Day 25 05-17-2016 10:44 AM
HIGHBRIDGE HILLS WISCONSIN Close?!?!?! jaygarcia Disc Golf Courses 8 08-20-2014 02:13 PM
HOD 8/6/13: Highbridge Hills - Woodland Greens #8 (Highbridge, WI) Swisher Streets Hole of the Day 49 08-08-2013 12:15 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.