Old 11-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Plastics question

Does the flight of a disc really get affected that much by the type of plastic? Obviously discraft shows it in many of their discs when you change between plastics in their ratings. I throw mostly innova and mostly Champion because of it's durability, but would a DX valkyrie be that much easier to throw than a champion? I mean my Champion valk is my heaviest driver so I understand that making it really tough to turn over, but would dx make it that much easier or would I be better off finding a second one in a somewhat low weight like 163g ish.

Currently my champ valk is 171g and just goes STRAIT then fades, I mean when I throw this thing level it is just a strait bullet with fade at the end.

Basically the big question is change plastic for more HSS or switch to a lower weight?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2009, 07:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 72
Niced 27 Times in 20 Posts

Stiffness differs between a lot of the types of plastics, theoretically the mold should be the same and thus the disc should be similar.

What I can tell you from my experience is with Innova specifically I have several molds and several plastic types and a TeeRex in star and champ fly different, Xcal champ and star fly different, Destroyer star and Champ fly different, same with Boss (even more so between the 38 types of plastic they have now).

The common theme between them is Champion plastic is more stiff, and more strong than any of the others. Ive also noticed the same thing between Z and ESP.

You could argue that the star could be less stable (im talking out of the box new, side by side flights, not about broken in discs) and easier to throw S shots, long turnovers etc because of the slightly better grip, and the champ being a little more slick.

To answer your question, should it? Theoretically, no.
Does it, yes.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Most definately is a difference.

Champ is more overstable than DX or Star and DX is the most understable, not to mention it beats in more understable as well.

I havent thrown the exact same disc of Discraft in different plastics except for my Banger GT, Soft X and ESP, but havent noticed a difference with that, but I am betting its likely the same if I compared drivers.

Whats more is I have had DX, Elite X, ESP, Elite Z, R-Pro, Pro, SRP, HPP, Champ and Star and the only plastic I dont really care for much is Star. I would rather have DX. Is that odd?
Old 11-22-2009, 07:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 40
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

I think you mean less hss.
As much as Id like to tell you to get a same weight lower plastic, if you like champ get a 167.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 27
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

My champ Valk is just as stable as my boss! It is 175g. I think it would be a good driver if I got it beat in a little but for now I will just stick to my star valks. They are perfect flyers out of the box and once beat they are great finesse drivers. At low power they will hold any line you want. If you want to max power a valk though you will want the extra stability of a new one. I usually carry around three valks, one beat star, one newer star, and one champ. The newer star is good for max D. The beat star is great for straight tunnel shots and right turns, and the champ is good for wind.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 38
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Plastic does make a difference when it comes to density and where the weight lies in a disc.

A dx 150 grams DX disc has the weight distributed fairly evenly across the entire disc because of the less dense plastic

A champion 150 class holds more weight in the rim than it does in the flight plate and such because the plastic is more dense.

Just something to think about.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
I think you mean less hss.
As much as Id like to tell you to get a same weight lower plastic, if you like champ get a 167.
I guess i do mean less hss...(I usually call it turn though and that would have probably made more sense).
Old 11-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicKJ View Post
My champ Valk is just as stable as my boss! It is 175g. I think it would be a good driver if I got it beat in a little but for now I will just stick to my star valks. They are perfect flyers out of the box and once beat they are great finesse drivers. At low power they will hold any line you want. If you want to max power a valk though you will want the extra stability of a new one. I usually carry around three valks, one beat star, one newer star, and one champ. The newer star is good for max D. The beat star is great for straight tunnel shots and right turns, and the champ is good for wind.
That reminds me of how great my friend's star valk was for hyzer flips and big bombs(hole 3 hiestand park). I may pick up a star next time I'm in the shop near me though that's unless a different disc intrigues me. Purchasing new plastic(by that I mean discs) is just an addiction for me.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walters View Post
Plastic does make a difference when it comes to density and where the weight lies in a disc.

A dx 150 grams DX disc has the weight distributed fairly evenly across the entire disc because of the less dense plastic

A champion 150 class holds more weight in the rim than it does in the flight plate and such because the plastic is more dense.

Just something to think about.
I had noticed that between the flight plates of my 171g valk and my 166g RR

Old 11-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 27
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Every new disc I buy is pretty stable, I use any new disc I have as a tomahawk disc for a few months, it gets broken in pretty fast that way as I am usually trying to blast through some trees!