Old 08-17-2013, 11:32 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,269 Times in 860 Posts
Default Moving baskets between rounds

I'm curious if this is SOP or not. We have a course with one set of concrete tees and no alternate tees. The holes have two pin placements. Somewhere along the line we have gotten into the habit of moving all 18 baskets between rounds, which is a huge burden on a few guys. Basically 3-4 guys end of moving all the baskets and then suck in the second round because they are worn out.

I think it's too much to ask for baskets to be moved between rounds of a one day event and if it's such a horrible thing to play the same shot twice we should set up alt tees and let people throw one round off dirt. That way we can set up the course in advance and don't have to run around like chickens with our heads cut off between rounds.

I've never been to any other event where baskets were moved between rounds of a one-day event, but most of my tournament experience is from the 90's and things have changed. So I'm curious; is moving baskets between rounds when you have one set of tees something players expect now?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2013, 11:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 115
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know what folks expect, but I've done the move the baskets thing between rounds. It wasn't that big a deal, although we didn't move all 18. I think maybe the easiest way to do it would be to play longs first round, at least that would maybe be easier on the folks moving them.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Niced 2,135 Times in 1,060 Posts

Expect it? No.
Like it? Some will, some won't.

Some will like the change of layout. Others will prefer having played the course already in that layout, especially if they aren't locals. I can see how changing pin positions is a disadvantage to people from out of town... kind of nullifies some of the experience you gained in 1st round, and can possibly an even greater advantage to locals if they've had chances to play to both positions over time.

Besides, no player should have to deal with moving 3-4 baskets in between rounds and still play. One maybe, but if 17 others aren't pitching in, ditch the idea.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 08-17-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 165
Niced 168 Times in 77 Posts

A method to delegate the effort:

TD and crew unlock all the baskets before round 1 and put a little marker flag in the 2nd round basket position. At morning player meeting, TD announces each card is responsible for moving one basket. After holing out the last basket of round 1, the group moves the basket to the flagged position, and secures the lock on the basket.

This has worked really well at tourneys in my area.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

We have 12 alt pins and we move them in between rounds. As long as you do it right after round one you have plenty of recovery time during the break.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 76
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts

I've seen it before on a few one day tourneys. I have seen using different tees far more often though even on multi day tourneys. IMO if only three or four people are moving all 18 baskets something needs to be done about that & the obvious answer would be (as ThreePutt stated) using different tees instead of moving all the baskets. I personally like it better when all the baskets are moved to alternate positions but if there isn't enough help to do so maybe move less pins or find more people competing in the tourney willing to help. Maybe ask people in the players meeting before the first round. I bet some people would volunteer even if was for nothing more than selfish reasons like making themselves look better to the people present.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,299 Times in 1,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Expect it? No.

Some will like the change of layout. Others will prefer having played the course already in that layout, especially if they aren't locals.
This. (I'm in the second category, myself)

Around here, there is only one course with multiple pin placements, and that's only about half the holes. Events there are 2 days, and they may move a couple of baskets during lunch, but most of the moving is done Saturday evening.

Moving 18 baskets during a lunch break seems to me far more work than its worth.

In fact, at Stoney Hill we have portables, and 2 overlapping layouts that require moving a few baskets, mostly just to get them out of the way. We've done it at lunch, but last year went to just using one layout for a 1-day event, and changing up on Saturday night for 2-day events. Too much trouble.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.6
Courses Played: 95
Niced 876 Times in 335 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

What Bogey said. If it's a problem for the TD and volunteers then ask for 18 volunteers from the players to move the pins. If you don't get 18 to help then leave the pins where they are and no one can complain.

Also I prefer playing the same course twice in a two round tournament.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 222
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

We moved them between rounds at our monthly tournaments, to also help with erosion control. It also helps that we have a golf cart to use. We don't do it now because now I run the Pro Shop. I end up moving them every 6-8 weeks.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 80
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Expect it? No.

Some will like the change of layout. Others will prefer having played the course already in that layout, especially if they aren't locals. I can see how changing pin positions is a disadvantage to people from out of town... kind of nullifies some of the experience you gained in 1st round, and can possibly an even greater advantage to locals if they've had chances to play to both positions over time.

Besides, no player should have to deal with moving 3-4 baskets in between rounds and still play. One maybe, but if 17 others aren't pitching in, ditch the idea.
Well said. If players expect it, they are feeling a bit too entitled. I think the idea of temporary teepads is a perfectly acceptable solution if you want a different layout for the second round.