Old 09-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Tournament standards - A tier

Played in a A-tier this weekend, had a great time, but there were some minor issues that I could see improving on that would make this event a very classy A-tier. Excuse me if I seem nitpicky, but these are things I think should be standard for an A-tier, and several folks at the event were commenting on.

Leaderboard
This event did not have a leaderboard. 144 players standing around TD central waiting to go out for their 2nd round having no idea which hole to start on until the TD would call out each player's name on each card (mass chaos). It would of been nice to know some standings after each round and see how other divisions were doing for comparison sake. Before the 3rd round, the TD would just call the top name of each card and then you had 30+ players calling out the names searching for the remaining players on their card (super mass chaos).

The scores were posted online very fast, so I give them that. But without having a smart phone, knowing the standings per round was not provided at TD central. I've volunteered for many events and have helped TDs prepare the Leaderboard before the next round. I think this adds excitement and at the very least gives players some idea of how their doing in comparison to the competition and which hole their going to start at next. Not that hard to do and for an A-tier this should certainly be a standard.

Final 9
What's the point on having a final 9 for player's to watch if they don't know the scores going in? Without a scoreboard, it seriously takes away from the play-by-play suspense. It's like watching 4 guys throwing discs without knowing what's going on. At the minimum at least provide the total scores going in. But waiting until the very end to see which players runs up to the winner to congratulate him is very anti-climatic.

TD dissappears
For my last rant, after the final 9 ended the TD and staff just dissappears. No mention of what is going, no sign to post "hey, awards ceremony to be held at XX:XXpm". Nope, just the TD vanished with the final 9 spectators walking around in confusion waiting for awards. It must of been over an hour or so until the TD mysteriously shows up again as 75% of the players have already left the event.

Again, the event was still kick @ss and I know there was a lot put into it, the volunteers were great, and I look forward to next year's event. Hopefully the items above are added to make the next one even better.
Sponsored Links