* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 717 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Now, how to fix the hole?

Is adding "or another disc in flight" (to "person or animal") needed? Or enough?

What other situations where a player's throw was messed up somehow would warrant a free re-throw?
The trouble with adding "or another disc in flight" to to that rule is that it could conflict with the intentional interference rulings. If I were to run up and slap your disc out of the air, clearly that's 2 penalty throws on me and you have the option of a re-throw due to intentional interference. But if I toss a disc at yours in flight and hit it, could the argument be made that because you "hit another disc in flight" (regardless of how it got there), you must play it where it comes to rest?

I think any fix to this situation would have to involve breaking the attachment of the re-throw to intentional interference. In other words, either grant re-throws for any interference caused by person or animal (including shots that collide with other discs in flight) or not granting re-throws for any instance of interference.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2017, 07:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 93
Niced 331 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post

I think any fix to this situation would have to involve breaking the attachment of the re-throw to intentional interference. In other words, either grant re-throws for any interference caused by person or animal (including shots that collide with other discs in flight) or not granting re-throws for any instance of interference.
Pretty sure I agree with the elimination of "intentional" from the equation and granting the rethrow under any circumstance of human or animal interference including that of a thrown disc.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 43.6
Courses Played: 293
Niced 497 Times in 278 Posts

I'm thinking that the reason behind this is that people, animals, and discs in flight are not the same for all players. So, it's not fair to make just one player deal with a situation that is unique to that moment. Correct?

If so, are there other transient events that should also grant the thrower the right to choose to re-throw? A moving car? Hitting equipment being toted along by players or spectators?

Is there a general principle that could be applied?

Looking down that philosophical path, I'm actually more inclined to get back to not giving any player re-throws for any of these reasons. Simpler, and closer to the most basic principle of "play it where it lies".

Niced: (1)
Old 11-21-2017, 04:00 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 22 Times in 15 Posts

Granting rethrows for all interference is a bad idea. Consider situations where people shank their drive into a road and hit a car, or onto a different hole or fairway and hit another player. Should that be a free do over? Off course not. In the OP situation the thrower should have waited to putt. Hitting other discs in flight or animals is such a rare occurance that I don't think the rules need to be amended. It's bad luck, and that is part of the game. As to other players, it is the responsibility of the thrower not to throw, when there is a risk of hitting other players, and the thrower can request those players to move.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 93
Niced 331 Times in 181 Posts

You guys are right- I hadn't really thought it through. I disagree that there is nothing to do but call the OP's situation "tough s*it" though- there has to be some sort of way to eliminate penalizing the interfered with player through another player's rules breach.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 84 Times in 44 Posts

Old 11-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default Real life

I actually had this happen to me in a C Tier once. Guy to left putted out of turn and hit my disc mid air and knocked it out. I was prob just under 10 ft out and he was prob a step closer. Cost me a missed birdie putt. TD didnt quite know what to do but i didnt make a fuss over it. It was 100% an accident. Out of curiousity i emailed the pdga and the agreed with me that it falls under the category of "**** happens" and wasnt anything we could do but be more cautious.