Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 124 Times in 93 Posts
Default Bardu's Bag 2013

2012 thread: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=67045
2011 thread: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=40694\

Years playing/experience: About two years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: RH
Throwing Style: RHBH only
Distance (avg/max) for putter/mid/driver: Ion: 220/250'; Roc: 250/280'; Eagle: 280/300' all these distances are pretty much guesses, just going by signage on the course, haven't been to a football field in a while

Sex: M

Bag:

Drivers:
165 Champ Eagle-X - meathook, had for a couple months but still feels like new
167 DX Eagle-X freshy
165 DX Eagle-X seasoned

Mids:
179 BB Champ Roc3 new
173 KC Pro Roc beat
172 DX Roc seasoned - most mid work, flex shots, hyzers, s-curves
171 DX Roc beat - annys, hyzer-flips

Putters:
172 S Ion 3rd Run "Stormtrooper" beat

Well, year three is here. Year two saw alot of time spent with Rocs and Ions only. I finally settled on a driver that really worked for me, the Eagle. I played less than my first year but I feel I made alot of strides in learning the game. I learned much about line carving, different shots, nose angle, throwing on a plain (and adjusting), and release point.

I have had back problems in recent years, and this year it manifested itself in a problem with my left leg which I have not fully recovered from. It doesn't affect my throw much anymore, but I still do a two step rather than a full run up. I learned alot from being injured. It was my limitation that taught me to experiment and learn to throw s-curves and anhyzers.

I spent alot my time in the previous years throwing putters and mids only. This year I discovered the Eagle. I am able to put it out consistently further than my Rocs and get really great control with it. I do have a 168 Eagle-X I just picked up, but its not really needed for the bag right now, more for field practice/backup purposes. I have also auditioned: Leopards, Teebirds, PDs, and JLSs.

I have thrown Rocs almost from day one. I have more experience with this disc than any other, except possibly the Ion. I spent some time working with Comets in 2012 and they are great discs, but I found I can duplicate any shot I need with my Rocs, and I prefer to keep the molds down. My stable of Rocs has been in flux as well. I have played with DX Rocs since the beginning. This year I added a beat KC Pro that a friend gave me. I have tried various Roc3s and I have experimented with max weights. It has been good for me to experiment wth different weights, but eventually I came back to my good ol 172ish DX Rocs. My KC Pro is beat to the point where its a straight to turnover disc and I am not really sure where it fits in the bag or when to pull it out. I use my Roc3 for shots that require beef and speed, we will see how it flies as it breaks in. I do have a fresh 173 DX Roc sitting on the sidelines, but I use my Roc3 for those shots. Previously tried: Fuses, Comets, Axii, Buzzzes, MD2s, Pains, and Vectors.

I have had my pair of Ions since October 2011 and they have handled all putts, approaches and drives ever since. I tried N Anodes when they came out, but returned to my S Ions. I was given a S Anode for Christmas this year and it feels great. I think it will be a great backup to my Ions, although I am not sure they need it. I have been toying with the idea of relagating the MVP putters to drives only and finding a slower, baseline putter for closer to the basket. I tried KC Pro Aviars earlier this year and ended up giving them to a friend, although to be honest I didn't give them much of a chance. Based on advice I have gotten around here and on DGR, I plan on trying DX Aviar P&As. I do love DX plastic (see Rocs and Eagles) and they have relatively the same profile as my Ions, which have always felt fantastic in my hand. If I am correct, they are smaller and slower than BB Aviars. And Wizards would be another option, but I prefer the consistency of being able to buy one off the shelf that is the same as those in my bag.

I have always espoused the discing down and mold minimalization philosophies and I prefer to throw the slowest disc possible (that will get the job done) in any given situation. I do not plan on throwing anything faster than an Eagle, at least in 2013.

Any advice, suggestions, or criticism is appreciated. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 229
Niced 30 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
Drivers:
165 Champ Eagle-X - meathook, had for a couple months but still feels like new
167 DX Eagle-X freshy
165 DX Eagle-X seasoned

Mids:
179 BB Champ Roc3 new
173 KC Pro Roc beat
172 DX Roc seasoned - most mid work, flex shots, hyzers, s-curves
171 DX Roc beat - annys, hyzer-flips

Putters:
Looks like a solid bag. Just a couple suggestions/thoughts:

Have you ever tried an Eagle-L for anhyzer shots? Having an Eagle-L in your bag along with the Eagle-Xs might give you a little more versatility.

Also, as far as consistency goes, Innova and Gateway are both inconsistent in different ways. Innova is inconsistent in their molds, but Gateway is inconsistent in their plastic blends. A lot of people, however, like this inconsistency in Gateway because it allows them to get a different feel in the same mold. If you really want consistency in putters, though, you're probably better off just sticking with MVP.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 158

After playing much of the year with mids and putters only I put a Pro Leopard in before I found the Eagle-X. I took it out mainly because my seasoned Eagle-X could duplicate the shots I need from the Leopard. Its a possibility that I never beat the Leopard in enough to get the flights I would have wanted from it.

Haha, I figured that consitency comment might draw some attention. I've had Wizards in the past and I never found two that were the same. My Ions are identical, I just wish I could find a baseline plastic alternative. My S Anode is much different from others S Protons and S Eclipses I've seen, though. I have been going back and forth between sticking with the Ions and finding a baseline putter for a while.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 229
Niced 30 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
After playing much of the year with mids and putters only I put a Pro Leopard in before I found the Eagle-X. I took it out mainly because my seasoned Eagle-X could duplicate the shots I need from the Leopard. Its a possibility that I never beat the Leopard in enough to get the flights I would have wanted from it.
So you're saying that you never tried the Eagle-L mold because the Eagle-X did everything you needed? That makes sense. There's no need to complicate things by adding another disc when you have every shot covered.

Quote:
Haha, I figured that consitency comment might draw some attention. I've had Wizards in the past and I never found two that were the same. My Ions are identical, I just wish I could find a baseline plastic alternative. My S Anode is much different from others S Protons and S Eclipses I've seen, though. I have been going back and forth between sticking with the Ions and finding a baseline putter for a while.
Well, there's good news and bad news for you on the putter front. The good news is that there are hundreds of baseline putters for you to choose from before you find the one you like the best. The bad news is that there are hundreds of baseline putters out there for you to test... Good luck with that.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,209 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
I have been toying with the idea of relagating the MVP putters to drives only and finding a slower, baseline putter for closer to the basket. I tried KC Pro Aviars earlier this year and ended up giving them to a friend, although to be honest I didn't give them much of a chance. Based on advice I have gotten around here and on DGR, I plan on trying DX Aviar P&As. I do love DX plastic (see Rocs and Eagles) and they have relatively the same profile as my Ions, which have always felt fantastic in my hand. If I am correct, they are smaller and slower than BB Aviars. And Wizards would be another option, but I prefer the consistency of being able to buy one off the shelf that is the same as those in my bag.
Ever tried any of the Vibram putters? They suck for throwing b/c of poor glide but that makes them really good for putts IMO. The Ridge is probably most like an Ion but I prefer the Summit b/c I'm a lob putter and it's the most neutral. The x-link regular is my favorite, almost always grippy and firm enough not to feel floppy at all. The firms are a bit slicker and feel like really firm DX. But I've been using the same putter for over 2 years now and it is showing no signs of wearing out and to me that consistency makes a huge difference.

But if you like DX than that's a perk b/c they're pretty cheap. Don't forget that the Omega putters from Millennium are also from the Aviar family tree, they're basically small bead Aviars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5QU166Y View Post
Looks like a solid bag. Just a couple suggestions/thoughts:

Have you ever tried an Eagle-L for anhyzer shots? Having an Eagle-L in your bag along with the Eagle-Xs might give you a little more versatility.
He's got seasoned DX Eagles in the mid 160s, he's probably got that covered. It's kind of hard to keep a DX Eagle in the just plain straight stage of wear for long though, I used to use a beat Star Eagle for that. Just throwing that out there.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I putt with a zero line pure, I did putt with an s anode but wanted a baseline putter. If you wanted to try a more stable putter soft challengers might work for you.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 42
Niced 84 Times in 58 Posts

If you used wizards instead of ions you have the ultimate DGR minimalist bag.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 158

I've never thrown a vibrant disc of any kind. Is x-link baseline?

I've never found any star plastic variety that I've especially cared for. Don't know if my game just isn't at that level yet or if I just haven't thrown any that is properly beat in or what. I prefer champ as my premium plastic right now.

A friend uses Pures and something about them just doesn't feel right for me.

On the other hand wizards are practically identical to ions in the hand and I have always loved how ions felt. I used wizards previous to picking up my ok ions (this was when I was just starting out). I had a SSS that I loved. How do you buy directly from gateway?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,209 Times in 1,036 Posts

Vibram is rubber, technically. It's the shoe sole company. They come in x-link and in firm, regular (just called x-link) and soft which is stupid soft, like a sponge. They're all easily as grippy as a baseline plastic, especially the soft and regular. Even the firms feel something like old KC Pro or hard DX.

You can just call them I think. They have a Ebay store also, I think this is it.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 66
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Disc selection isn't really an issue so: What's up with your back? I ask because I'm nearly the same age and had some recurring problems with my hip and lower back a few years ago that sidelined me for a couple months in 2010 when I tweaked something deep in that sciatic area and couldn't manage the shooting leg pain. I was able to resolve the issue by regularly working out the weakest, tightest, muscles in my legs and core. For me that was hip ad/abductors and glutes, but all the muscles in my legs and core greatly benefited from some moderate strength, flexibility, and balance training. Now I'm healthier than ever and don't have any pain in the area and it's awesome.

I'd highly recommend pursuing some type of rehab/fitness program if you haven't already and you think it could help. Taking care of your body is a much better way to improve your game than switching up the discs! Good luck.
Closed Thread