Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 668 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
This ^.

Hmm. No. not even as a rule of thumb.

IRL how flight numbers are generated.

"Hey, you're competent at Disc Golf, throw this disc."

"Go on then. Yep it sort of turns up a bit, holds with a good bit of glide and then fades. Hmm, it's pretty fast for a putter."

"Thanks, Let's call it a speed 4 for marketing purposes, I reckon about 4 glide?

"yeh it's similar to an Innova "X". There was a bit of turn at high speed,."

"yep let's call it -1."

" and a definite fade,"

"go on then, let's give it a 2, let's get it off for PDGA testing"

Speed numbers generated. There is no speed 7 speed, there is no speed 13 speed.
What he said.....want to know how important the flight numbers are for a disc? Look at PDGA's list of approved discs (link below). Click on any disc....do you see flight numbers listed? Nope. If there was a way to accurately measure and/or define flight numbers, i think PDGA would include them.

https://www.pdga.com/technical-stand...fication/discs
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2021, 03:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 156
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 903 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingBoats View Post
Overall I agree with this as a general concept, but...

I just started heavily using a couple of champ mako3 discs, and they really do seem to defy this standard. If I release it cleanly, these things just hold that line, forever. I can chuck them 200-350 feet and they still just go straight, or hold my hyzer/anhyzer line without me discerning much of a turnover at all.

Love these discs lol, surprised they aren't universal staples in every bag.
Flight numbers work together in a system. A Katana might be speed 12, but note that it also has -2 turn and +2 fade. A Mako3 is speed 4ish, but it has 0 turn and 0 fade.

This means that in the high speed part of a Katana's flight, it'll probably turn over. In the high speed part of a Mako's flight, it'll stay straight.
Likewise, in the low speed part of a Katana's flight, it'll fade. In the low speed part of a Mako's flight, it'll stay straight.

The Mako has a big fat sweet spot for staying straight. Due to aerodynamic magic, the center of pressure stays near the center of the disc over a wide range of speeds. But a Katana is a lot more squirrelly. The center of pressure doesn't like to stay at the center of the disc except at a very small range of speeds. The center of pressure moves around a lot more than a Mako's, and that results in more turn and more fade.

Generally and unscientifically speaking, the wider the range between the turn and fade numbers, the more sensitive to speed a disc is. The smaller the range between the turn and fade, the less sensitive to speed. A Mako acts the same no matter how fast you throw it. A Katana acts wildly different with different speeds.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-21-2021, 10:36 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 256 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Do me a favor. Go take a katana to a field and throw it. At higher speeds it will turn more and lower speeds it will turn less. The point being in order to get the flight numbers out of the disc you will need to throw it at a certain speed. Throw it faster it will turn more or be more understable. Throw it slower and it turns less or is more overstable. You keep saying this is wrong, but it is 100% correct. This applies to ALL discs.
Boy. A real meeting of the mind here.

I'm sorry I couldn't make myself understood. I trust that the other sane people in this thread have made the point well enough without me.

And... I haven't got any Katanas. I gave away mine because, despite the sad fact that I've only got a 7 speed arm, they turn more than I like.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,038 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Do me a favor. Go take a katana to a field and throw it. At higher speeds it will turn more and lower speeds it will turn less. The point being in order to get the flight numbers out of the disc you will need to throw it at a certain speed. Throw it faster it will turn more or be more understable. Throw it slower and it turns less or is more overstable. You keep saying this is wrong, but it is 100% correct. This applies to ALL discs.
I think the point was to take a handful of Katanas and throw them identically and you get a unique flight out most of them.