Old 02-15-2017, 04:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 945 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
My champ XCal sits two notches below my most overstable driver, which happens to be a star Destroyer. It has more distance and more turn than the Destroyer...and I've thrown lots of Destroyers that have far less glide than the XCal too.

It's so confusing to me, the proto stars seem to have turn and good distance. Then a few years ago everyone was looking for "good OS Destroyers" even though the originals apparently weren't OS the same way. Now we get crap OS Destroyers (maybe for massive armed people they fly well?) and we can't get distance Destroyers haha.
I just kind of think its crap for Innova to obviously tweak the mold of a disc and still call it the same thing. I'd also agree on the comparison to the XCal. I've thrown 1 McBeth Destroyer that was WAAAYYY more stable than my XCal. Didn't have the distance either.

IMO first run Star Destroyers were plenty stable. They did exactly what they were advertised as doing. Stable flight with a little high speed turn and lots of glide. The new Destroyers are pure beef. Every Champ Destroyer I've ever thrown have been nasty overstable too..... save one. A very old CFR Destroyer. It flies perfectly.

If Innova needs/wants a more stable Destroyer, fine. Call it something else and change the flight numbers to reflect it.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Twmccoy; 02-15-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,625 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
If Innova needs/wants a more stable Destroyer, fine. Call it something else and change the flight numbers to reflect it.
Yep, 12/3/0/4, the Destroyourarm. Even Sexton seems to use star XCals for his distance forehand, and step up to Destroyers for windy shots, as much as I can tell from tourney footage at least.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 16 Posts

Found a perfectly seasoned (terrible ink though) Proto Star in the used bin last fall for $5.

Its now occupying the 'understable Destroyer' slot in the bag. Amazing disc. I have no clue why somebody would let it go for the couple bucks the store gave them.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 370 Times in 230 Posts

How did they tweak the mold?
Old 02-15-2017, 07:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,625 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
How did they tweak the mold?
I heard some people say/saw pictures they had "zipper tops" on some Destroyers...I really don't know enough about the situation and molding to know if that means a new mold piece? Or if simply the ones that are out now have been cooling/molding very OS. I don't know the reasons but every McBeth one I've seen has been very very OS, not that I've seen them all.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 44
Niced 670 Times in 391 Posts

Has anyone here recently thrown an UNTHROWN *D or proto star? I'm always a little skeptical of people making this claim based off a disc or discs that have been in their bag for years. Seasoned discs lose stability and pick up glide... I know that the anecdotal wisdom is that the first run Destroyers were a little less stable than a lot of later runs and maybe that is true. But if you've been throwing a disc for years, it WILL be less stable than it was fresh, so making that disc the pinnacle of what you expect out of a new one is not really reasonable.

I know the disc which made me fall in love with Star Destroyers. It's an old blue F2 with patent numbers marked only DS (no S or * so hard to tell what run). I remember that I used to throw all these different distance drivers and one day I noticed that the Destroyer was going further even though it had basically zero turn than the others, and I just started throwing it more and more and the others less and less. Now, I had been throwing it for a while when that happened; out of the box it was too overstable for my arm to get great distance, but I just kept throwing it and it picked up glide and distance until it turned into my primary driver. Then after being in the bag for a few years it started to develop some turn and get even more distance, but it's not as reliable in the wind as it used to be. While it's still a great disc, I would never expect a new Destroyer to fly like this one does, and I can get the same flight it has out of a number of other discs (seasoned Pro or GStar Destroyer, champ Tern, Shryke, etc.)

I have since then thrown several different runs of Destroyers including the old SDS's a lot of people like. Those SDS's start out very overstable for my arm; about as overstable as the current McBeth's honestly. I've heard people say that they pick up great glide as they beat in and become amazing drivers, and I don't doubt that at all. It's the same thing my old Destroyer did after all. I also wouldn't be surprised if you could say the same thing about the McBeth runs as they beat in.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 37 Times in 35 Posts

oh, delicious unobtanium..

I picked up a 166g color glow champ panda stamped destroyer a couple months ago that is just about perfect. On the stable side of the distance destroyer range.

I would switch to *Destroyers in a heartbeat if they were consistently like this.

I've never thrown an original *D or seen one in person for that matter, but it sounds like people who have are describing a Champ Tern like flight with better high speed predictability.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,131 Times in 961 Posts

I used to throw Destroyers. Absolutely loved them. Now, the good ones are too expensive. While not exactly what I want, Outlaws are close enough to earn that space in my bag. Sold all my old ones and bought a stack of Outlaws. Works for me.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 370 Times in 230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Eater View Post
oh, delicious unobtanium..

I picked up a 166g color glow champ panda stamped destroyer a couple months ago that is just about perfect. On the stable side of the distance destroyer range.

I would switch to *Destroyers in a heartbeat if they were consistently like this.

I've never thrown an original *D or seen one in person for that matter, but it sounds like people who have are describing a Champ Tern like flight with better high speed predictability.
I only have four but mine are not too similar to champ terns

Old 02-15-2017, 10:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 71 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
Has anyone here recently thrown an UNTHROWN *D or proto star? I'm always a little skeptical of people making this claim based off a disc or discs that have been in their bag for years. Seasoned discs lose stability and pick up glide... I know that the anecdotal wisdom is that the first run Destroyers were a little less stable than a lot of later runs and maybe that is true.
Yes. I bought all of my Star D's brand new. I've thrown all the D's, almost all new, first runs.
I have Protos, ☆D's, first run Echos, first run DX, stabilized ☆s, and currently bag a pink Pro, had a 2008 poppy toppy CFR Champ which I lost.
Its a feel thing, Dave talks about how getting raw materials consistently, is difficult.
The first runs,especially the Proto Stars just have a feel to them. Its just screams " THROW THE BEJESUS OUTTA ME", which you do because its screaming at you, and it goes really far. Really has nothing to do with overstable, understable, or parting line height.

All the Stars will beat in to perfection, but the reason Innova has made so many D's is because those original ones got us hooked on thier buttery, bacony goodness.