Old 02-14-2017, 12:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 609 Times in 445 Posts

I like my Shryke. Its a bomber for sure. The dome/glide helps stay in the air, but that sometimes gets killed if there's wind. Its still a good disc I think. I am putting out drives further, but only when it's fairly open or there isn't a mad head wind. good disc. Flight #'s are spot on I think
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2017, 11:17 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to toss a 175 groove and those things were so straight. It was crazy. If you had a late release it wouldn't just flip and go. I accidentally got a metal flake 175 Blizzard enhanced dominator and it is easily as stable as a pmb 175 destroyer. The champ shryke is a great disc but on WI day days I'm not so sure. It has a place in my bag and is great for flicking in both champ and star. It's a great disc but if you have a big arm you will mainly use it on flipover shots or starting at a 7pm hyzer.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 936 Times in 631 Posts

I was finally in a town with e decent shop and I saw a rack of these. One of the G*s was in the 160s so I bought it just to see what it was like. I've never owned a Vulcan or Daedalus. First off, the rim does scream 13 speed to me the way a Nuke, Boss or Katana does. It felt more like a Crank, but possibly not as wide.

I've never played three rounds with it since yesterday. I really like this disc. I need more time to determine where it fits in with my other DDs. It seems to be about the same stability as my Champ Terns, but with more fade at the very end of flight and a bit more fight back if initially turned. May report back after more throws and once I determine what wind it's best for.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:00 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,378 Times in 1,732 Posts

I keep reading these reports, and I take my Shryke back out to the course... and I keep having the same problems with it. This disc and I are just not connecting. I want to like it, because I see the bomber potential... but it's just not there for me. And for those about to hit the "reply" button and say it's the archer not the arrow... I don't have these problems with my Destiny, my Star or Champ Terns, my DDxs, et. al.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:20 PM
Finders Keepers Anonymous Pond Diver

Niced 61 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I keep reading these reports, and I take my Shryke back out to the course... and I keep having the same problems with it. This disc and I are just not connecting. I want to like it, because I see the bomber potential... but it's just not there for me. And for those about to hit the "reply" button and say it's the archer not the arrow... I don't have these problems with my Destiny, my Star or Champ Terns, my DDxs, et. al.
It's the archer not the arrow
Old 02-16-2017, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbeezy1 View Post
It's the archer not the arrow
Oh. Okay. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 670 Times in 391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Maybe it's just not the disc for you. Not every disc that a lot of people like works out for everyone you know? Some people love Rocs, some love Buzzzes, some love Truths or Compasses, or Matrixes, or whatever. Just go with whatever is working for you and don't worry about it.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
Maybe it's just not the disc for you. Not every disc that a lot of people like works out for everyone you know? Some people love Rocs, some love Buzzzes, some love Truths or Compasses, or Matrixes, or whatever. Just go with whatever is working for you and don't worry about it.
Agreed. I'm going with the Destiny, Tern, and then discing down to the Star SL and the 9-speed discs. I'll try the Shryke again in a few months; hope springs eternal, ya know...
Old 02-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Banned

Update: I had a great day on the range today. Wind was enough to feel and enough to be called a "headwind" or "tailwind", but not very strong at all. I first took all my Valkyries and Sidewinders out (17 discs total), and threw them to work on form and see which individual discs were working best for me.

I also took my Mystere, Archon, Destiny and Shryke, and threw them. I was a lot happier with the Mystere than I had been in the past, and the Shryke finally did me right.

One observation I made was that in a mild headwind, the Shryke really bombs. In that mild headwind, the Shryke was outdistancing the Destiny and was more stable and accurate into the wind, though in the tailwind the Destiny was going a bit farther. So the Shryke is making it back to my "nice" list.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,626 Times in 1,654 Posts

SD86 how far do you usually throw your Destiny and Shryke? The Shryke might just be a bit on the stable side for you and the bit of headwind is making it act nice. For example I can throw one of my Destroyers (really OS) farther and straighter into a headwind than I can in calm.