Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 05-28-2017, 08:53 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 399 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
I'll send you a relay... It's no eagle but covers that seasoned spot and only US driver I've been doing work with lately. It's my noodle buddy's go to mold.
Just reporting back that I'm very much digging the Relay. Very easy to dial in... A little hyzer and it just goes straight - no messin around, just on a line. Also goes far with little effort, especially for 6 speeder. Definitely seeing a lot of work already and will be my go-to for long tight-lined holes. Not at all ashamed to say that this could easily work as my primary driver. Again, "easy" would be my operative word for this one - it's immediately going in as my favorites and my bests. Cheers, AIM

And honestly thank you to everyone else for the other recommendations.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-28-2017, 09:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,625 Times in 1,654 Posts

This reminds me...a week or two ago I tried someone's beat to crap star Eagle. It flew like a Leopard...had like a -2 turn that kept slowly turning all the way to the ground from hyzer at ~350'. I couldn't believe it as the only other Eagle I've tried was a beefy glideless champ Eagle. This was like a speed 7 Sidewinder.

Is it likely that this star Eagle was an Eagle-L or could an X get to be that understable? I have no idea if it said on it.

Also glad deyo7 found a good disc, understable fairways are a very personal and power dependent disc but also one of the most fun discs to throw when you find the right one.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:52 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 88 Times in 67 Posts

I have a g* Valkyrie that sounds close, maybe a bit longer/faster. And a touch more stable. But it turns and it Always hooks up at the end, great for working lines. A slightly flippyer one may get close as long as it wasn't too long for the slot you're filling.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 16 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
This reminds me...a week or two ago I tried someone's beat to crap star Eagle. It flew like a Leopard...had like a -2 turn that kept slowly turning all the way to the ground from hyzer at ~350'. I couldn't believe it as the only other Eagle I've tried was a beefy glideless champ Eagle. This was like a speed 7 Sidewinder.

Is it likely that this star Eagle was an Eagle-L or could an X get to be that understable? I have no idea if it said on it.

Also glad deyo7 found a good disc, understable fairways are a very personal and power dependent disc but also one of the most fun discs to throw when you find the right one.
That sounds like an L mold to me. Perhaps it's possible for an eagle x to end up that way, but even my beat eagles maintain some type of fade at the end. Can you remember if the rim was concave or flattish?
Old 05-29-2017, 12:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,625 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpaljesus View Post
That sounds like an L mold to me. Perhaps it's possible for an eagle x to end up that way, but even my beat eagles maintain some type of fade at the end. Can you remember if the rim was concave or flattish?
No I didn't really look at the profile, I was handed the disc to try and told it was beat...then the flight was like a really nice Leo. Afterwards I remembered there were X and L molds for Eagles...would make sense that it was an L.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:09 PM
Par Member

Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

@deyo7 my relay is my most used disc. Off the tee, rarely, but for upshots or even crosswind putts it gets worked. Can I get more distance from other discs, absolutely but as long as the wind isn't brutal there isn't a more workable disc. Pair it with a Servo for straight to fade and you can cover about 95% of lines.

MVP please give me a Plasma relay soon.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:28 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 399 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOwens View Post
@deyo7 my relay is my most used disc. Off the tee, rarely, but for upshots or even crosswind putts it gets worked. Can I get more distance from other discs, absolutely but as long as the wind isn't brutal there isn't a more workable disc. Pair it with a Servo for straight to fade and you can cover about 95% of lines.

MVP please give me a Plasma relay soon.
Nice. Yes, the predictability and workability is very nice. But I'm surprised you aren't using off the tee. What kind of upshots are you using it for? Just curious.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:54 PM
Par Member

Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

I get enough additional distance with a Teebird,Tern, or Vanish depending on the hole, that I generally use them. We have several 400-500' holes and I tend to use the relay for between 100-200' upshots. If the shot off the tee is sub 200 I grab the Relay or the Servo depending on the line needed. If I could get my flip to flat shot down, I might use the relay even more, but as it is I am inconsistent so instead use the Servo for tunnel shots.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-31-2017, 08:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,562 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post

I don't think they make the eagle-L in star plastic, at least in all my years I've never seen one. Only in DX and Champ.

The DX eagle-L would be where I'd recommend to start - it's basically a worn in DX eagle-X already. Unfortunately they aren't marked, so you have to know exactly what you're looking for. If you can't find one or it's not flippy enough to start, maybe throw a DX gazelle in the bag until you can get one beat in where you like it.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
I don't think they make the eagle-L in star plastic, at least in all my years I've never seen one. Only in DX and champ.
They did make them, I have 3 of them (2 I bought from DGC a few months ago). Not easy to find though, a shop near me still has 2, but they're really dark red, I hate dark red!

Funny though, I have never seen a DX Eagle-L