Old 06-13-2017, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5,721 Times in 2,959 Posts

The wave is a tick slower(maybe half a speed number) but imo is closest thing your gonna get to a tern from MVP. The next class up in speed is way more domey than your average tern and also a half speed faster. My plasma wave is pretty similar to g* tern I used to have in feel and flight. I have a Hall of Fame Classic N Wave that is a bit more OS than the production runs and would compare well with a fresh champ tern. None of the waves have the glide that the tern does, especially the G* I used to have. That thing just hung up there forever. My plasma does have some good glide though...
Sponsored Links

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 06-13-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:42 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 152 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOwens View Post
bsammons, does the Catalyst still get out there for noodle arms like the Tern? If so how does plasma compare to proton as far as flight characteristics for the Catalyst?
No idea as I usually only throw it for big D, but I've tried it on my forehand (I'm admittedly quite the noodle arm forehand) and it went pretty far. Further than wraiths and beat Destroyers did. Could just have been because it was less stable though... I've never tried to forehand a tern because it's so dang shallow.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:31 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,128 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
The wave is a tick slower(maybe half a speed number) but imo is closest thing your gonna get to a tern from MVP. The next class up in speed is way more domey than your average tern and also a half speed faster. My plasma wave is pretty similar to g* tern I used to have in feel and flight. I have a Hall of Fame Classic N Wave that is a bit more OS than the production runs and would compare well with a fresh champ tern. None of the waves have the glide that the tern does, especially the G* I used to have. That thing just hung up there forever. My plasma does have some good glide though...
yeah I always looked at the wave as the MVP tern. given how a tern "should" fly anyway.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
yeah I always looked at the wave as the MVP tern. given how a tern "should" fly anyway.
Terns are good discs but they definitely show differences plastic to plastic, and the Stars a little different disc to disc. Most of the champs I've seen were fairly consistent. Also, they kind of have that Lat "problem" of almost to much glide and therefore can get a little squirrely in the wind.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-13-2017, 10:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 122
Niced 585 Times in 357 Posts

Got a pair of these I'm going to try to field test tomorrow. Hopefully the rain holds off.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Got a pair of these I'm going to try to field test tomorrow. Hopefully the rain holds off.
looking forward to the video Mike.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Editing some field throws right now. I really need an assistant for these field tests...too hard to follow the disc with no zoom.

Anyways, some text impressions:

Unsurprisingly, thrown flat with 500' of power it turns and burns.

Surprisingly, thrown with some hyzer and ~75% power I'm getting a pretty effortless 475'. I feel like I'm barely putting enough juice on them to break 400' and they just cruise, its pretty fun.

The weird part about this disc is throwing it at ~80% power VS ~100% power seemed to net me similar distance, with the harder throws swinging wider right. That's kind of unusual for me, usually when I back off power, distance drops. So that makes me think people with less arm speed will get surprisingly good results out of them.

I threw a few flicks when I was collecting them in the field and walking back to my tee pad. They were surprisingly controllable for my FH, though I'm a good ways off in distance compared to my BH. I'd throw them with a touch of hyzer and they'd flip to flat and drift a few feet to the left, then fade back reliably. I expected a bit more high speed turn on the forehand throws.

Thrown hard BH with a touch of anhyzer I was getting consistent backhand rollers in the 450' ballpark. It works really well for backhand rollers in general, it feels pretty forgiving.

Thrown with a deep hyzer release and backing off the power I could get them to hold hyzers without flipping all the way up to flat in the 400-450' range. Threw a couple 450-500' shots with a deep hyzer release and less than max power that'd flip up to flat, cruise, then fade out.

My understable max D slot has been kind of up in the air lately but I could see these taking that spot. I tried a Catalyst and Vanish recently, and I feel like I clicked with the Tenacity more for some reason.

Assuming the Panic flies as beefy as I expect it to, I think I'm going to end up rocking the Axiom max D trio. Panic, Mayhem, Tenacity.

I could see this being a good work horse max D driver for people with less D than me. It has turn, but even throwing it 550' I could manage how much it wanted to drift over to the right with release angles. I had a lot of fun powering them down a bit and giving them some hyzer, and watching them fly very controlled S curves.

I'll have a video up later tonight. Hopefully the disc is visible :/
Old 06-14-2017, 10:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Well like I said in my last post the filming quality is terrible on this. Not even worth watching on a phone, you can barely follow half the shots in HD full screen on a PC :/

I'll try to get out to the field with a friend next time so we can zoom in on these shots.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-15-2017, 10:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Have you ever tried a taller stand for the camera? A higher angle may help the ability to see them at distance, since you can get less of the sky in frame. Either that or try and find a place where the tree line is closer or taller. The TK vids are a good example.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 06-15-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:28 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

Nice vid, as BB said I think a taller stand would help, as I lost most of the throws even on my work monitor (27"). That said I may have to grab one of these it looked like it could scoot for sure especially for a weaker arm like mine.