Old 08-22-2017, 12:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,931 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullethead326 View Post
Can't answer fairly.
Rephrased question - what would the ideal Fish tour consist of including courses you have not played?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2017, 01:13 AM

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 114
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 32 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
Fred Salaz a true visionary!
And that may be true, but if the vision for future disc golf is fake mini-golf greens, then I would have to disagree. I would rather see the course closed for a summer to grow some real grass. It should never even be considered an option. It looks like garbage.

Just my opinion.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-22-2017, 02:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.4
Courses Played: 47
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGStein View Post
And that may be true, but if the vision for future disc golf is fake mini-golf greens, then I would have to disagree. I would rather see the course closed for a summer to grow some real grass. It should never even be considered an option. It looks like garbage.

Just my opinion.
The course has been there for almost two decades and nothing grows down there. So one summer will not change anything.

Come down and play the course and not judge it by a video.

Last edited by Old Bassman; 08-22-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:39 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 709 Times in 269 Posts

Here's my question on 16. If the deep stuff left of the fairway was not played as OB, would landing there provide a better angle for the second shot?

If the answer is yes, then is the OB manufactured simply to make the hole harder? If the answer is no, is the OB merely intended to force players to not land in an area simply because it is marked OB?

Related, the "barely" OB discs could have been helped, perhaps, with a medium cut of rough between the fairway and the deep OB stuff -- something to better help differentiate truly bad throws from bad rolls/skips.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-22-2017, 03:22 AM

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 114
Niced 32 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bassman View Post
The course has been there for almost two decades and nothing grows down there. So one summer will not change anything.

Come down and play the course and not judge it by a video.
The course looked wonderful! Never said it didn't.

But I just can't agree with laying out a rug for a putting green in a natural setting. To me, it looks awful.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,976 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
Here's my question on 16. If the deep stuff left of the fairway was not played as OB, would landing there provide a better angle for the second shot?

If the answer is yes, then is the OB manufactured simply to make the hole harder? If the answer is no, is the OB merely intended to force players to not land in an area simply because it is marked OB?

Related, the "barely" OB discs could have been helped, perhaps, with a medium cut of rough between the fairway and the deep OB stuff -- something to better help differentiate truly bad throws from bad rolls/skips.
The last time I played the course (10 years ago), there was no long grass there. The entire field was mowed. On one hand, it was in stark contrast with the style of the rest of the course that required accurate throws through precise lines in the woods since you could just crank a drive as far as you could with no real concern for precision. On the other, frankly, it was a boring hole only made interesting by the last 100 feet or so (the wooded green featuring the OB creek).

But yes, the approach to the green from the left side of the field was usually the more ideal way to attack the hole, IMO. Making that OB does add to the challenge of approaching the green. But moreso, I think the OB makes the hole better fit the spirit of the course than it otherwise would. Obviously with no trees, it can't really restrict how the disc flies, but the OB forces players to be accurate with their landings and, as in the woods, placement trumps distance.

I don't buy into the notion that OBs like this are flukey in that they can punish "well-executed shots" if the disc happens to slide a foot OB. One of the overlooked skills of our game, and it's in part because few courses demand it, is the ability to control the landing of the disc. By which I mean throwing a shot that doesn't skip or slide or roll once it hits the ground. It's a matter of angle usually. If the disc lands relatively flat, it's not going to skip (absent a random rock or root or something changing its trajectory). This is a skill that is highly tested at USDGC with how low they cut the fairway grass, especially in spots where discs might tend to skip toward OB. Hole 16 here brings that skill into play.

The instinct of players facing a 1000 foot hole with no trees is to take out their longest driver and bomb away. Really good players can often throw those discs with enough accuracy to land them in a relatively narrow window. They're not going to land them on a dime, but given a 40' X 40' square, they can land somewhere in it more often than not. The problem is that discs that fast going that far are usually going to be fading out as they land. In other words, hitting the ground at an angle. Angled discs skip and slide and rarely come to rest where they first hit the ground.

So if they're fading toward the OB line and hit 5-10 feet away, there's always a chance they'll skip OB. That is something that players can control but rarely try to. Throwing a more controlled shot or a slower/smaller-winged disc that will land flatter is always an option. Not every tee shot has to be max distance. 450+250 = 350+350 and puts you in the same place.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 588
Niced 214 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGStein View Post

Just my opinion.
I believe the turf was intended to help with erosion. Grass never grows in those shady areas well and there wouldn't be much of a green left after 10 years had they not put down that turf for the foot traffic.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,658 Times in 936 Posts

Actually, I liked the turf around the baskets. The guys who did the work around the greens did a great job. I could tell it was a wear issue and they made it look as good as you can make such a thing look. Which quite frankly was very good.

Compare those greens to greens at other events. You might not like the turf, the overall presentation was awesome IMO.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,725 Times in 2,961 Posts

Yea, there are four greens along that part of the creek 2 turf and 2 "grass". The two on 17(old16) that are natural, are basically just mowed crab grass and wild onions. The turf greens would have looked a lot better if it hadn't been for the storm that rolled thru Thursday. They were nice and clean before it dumped a bunch of wet leaves on them.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 08-22-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,725 Times in 2,961 Posts

On top of that, that creek occasionally turns into a river when there is a big storm or melt off from a heavy snow. If they were to try to plant grass, it would likely be washed away before getting a chance to take root.