Old 03-18-2018, 10:55 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,378 Times in 1,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Same I only have the Speed 12 Destroyer in my bag right now. I just will never really generate the speed to use more Max distance discs, small size and just not built for that.
Small size isn't the issue, and can be a good thing, depending on some things... Just watch Paige Pierce send a driver downrange(!). She has the armspeed and body coordination to transfer speed into her discs, and they do Paige things when she rips 'em.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2018, 11:53 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,147 Times in 953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Small size isn't the issue, and can be a good thing, depending on some things... Just watch Paige Pierce send a driver downrange(!). She has the armspeed and body coordination to transfer speed into her discs, and they do Paige things when she rips 'em.
Yes but I might be even smaller then they are, shocking for a male born in the USA. Also I can't use much past speed 10 with that anyhow since I am USA size adult small or Kids XL with my hands depending on the brand, grip is the issue for me. I just find of the max drivers to use too much speed that I have to use my whole body and all the strength I have each time to get most max power for those discs to do about half of what the female players can do, but when I use a speed 9-10 disc I can get them even slightly beefy ones say an Avenger like disc to fly good distance about 75% what the top females can do. Now is that just a practice problem or a body size problem? I can't use more understable max distance discs as they tend to end up on uncontrollable rollers that go wherever they feel like (terrain would have to be flat like a gym to fly the disc where I wanted it to go) even a driver disc like a Road runner would do for me so I do not use them in control driver discs, fairway drivers I use are the discs I can have understable and not do the roller thing on me as I can power down a tiny bit to have the disc fly right.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-18-2018, 11:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 116
Niced 876 Times in 409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
Orion LF is my furthest flying disc so I don't bag anything faster. I bookend them with predators and a roadrunner.
I do carry Terns... but otherwise, this is my driver setup, too!
Old 03-19-2018, 12:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 944 Times in 729 Posts

I don't carry "control" drivers in the bag. I've thrown them all before at some point, but speed 9 stuff is something I don't use much.

I have a champion Teebird, and the next fastest thing I use is a champion Starfire.
I've found speed 9s to be somewhat "tweener" discs that don't really fit much of a need for me. Anything I can't get to with a Teebird I generally use the Starfire or Surge on.

If I had to carry something speed 9 it would be a Thunderbird. Its such a versatile disc that can be used for fairway or distance shots. A Thunderbird will fly reliably to about 400' for me.

Essentially, I use the champion Teebird for "control" purposes. Drives that are 350'ish where I want a pretty precise line and good accuracy. The Teebird fits perfectly there because I can rip it fully and it won't get weird and fly all over the place or get pushed around by wind.

The Thunderbird does everything a Teebird does, but about 50' longer. That goes more into the distance than control realm for me.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 88
Niced 467 Times in 248 Posts

I only throw my Outlaws a little further than PD's, maybe 20-30 feet. But they need a lot more room to work, and I'm more likely to send them off-line. So for me, the PD is more like my primary distance driver unless it's a wide open hole. I've also figured out that in a stiff headwind, my C-PD goes further than anything else. It just stays up longer.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 26
Niced 34 Times in 19 Posts

Champ Orc for me, though I suppose its technically a driver.. doesn't see a lot of use, but its there when I need a more than a fairway bh or fh.. trust it out over the water as well. I've tried Thunderbirds, but the extra distance was minimal over Teebirds for me.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 55 Times in 32 Posts

I bag a felon, MF convict (very stable for a convict), McCray Saint Pro (slightly less HSS but still reliable) and these serve me in the traditional control driver slots. RHBH shot that cannot go right, RHFH shot that cannot go left, flex shot that no matter how much anhyzer I put on it it will hyzer out. When I think of a control driver in the traditional sense it is more specific to limiting what I want it NOT to do.

I personally have a few other of what I consider control drivers, for instance my GL river. When I need to throw a RHBH that will not hyzer out on me but also won't turn and burn (because I know how to throw it) I smooth my river out there for a nice controlled steady right turn.

What makes these different than other drivers is the variance of where they will wind up laterally to the target (and in some regards distance). My escape/saint get greater distances but are less accurate so if I have more room to play I will grab them and I can overshoot baskets (on occasion).
Old 03-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 54 Times in 20 Posts

I love control drivers! I think speed 9 has the best lineup of discs, I carry Thunderbirds, Firebirds, a cd2 and a super beat in pro Valk for rollers. I do bag wraiths as well, but those only come out on certain courses.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-19-2018, 12:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,625 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atison View Post
When I think of a control driver in the traditional sense it is more specific to limiting what I want it NOT to do.
This is a really great way of thinking about it. Same for me. Not too much glide/unpredictability, not too much turn, not too much skip, not too power hungry. Just take clean power and don't do anything stupid, and land in the landing zone. No need to be fancy, just do it right every time.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:12 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,493 Times in 951 Posts

That is what the best control drivers do IMO, the PD/Sword/Volt type driver that can be thrown far, but doesn’t turn or fade all that dramatically and for most players you can drop them in a tighter area with 75-90% of your max distance potential.