Old 03-23-2020, 07:03 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Threw 169g Invictus today. It has some dome. Faster firebird is good description. Feels great in hand. Tried it both BH and FH. Even at 169g it is more stable than any anax or stable run of pd I've thrown.

This would be great disc for big power throwers or a utility disc for anyone else. I threw it primarily on spike hyzers FH and BH. It digs in right where it lands with little ground play. If I tried to flex it fought out really quick.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 07:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 32
Niced 744 Times in 450 Posts

So you actually get some air with the Invictus where the Firebird just wants to get to the ground?
Old 03-23-2020, 08:37 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Yea id say little faster and bit more glide.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:43 PM

Niced 23 Times in 14 Posts

I am loving the Invictus. It is similar to a Sexton Firebird, but a little straighter at high speeds and in my opinion it hooks up faster when if does fade. I am definitely getting a little more distance out of it and I will be bagging it. My firebird will still be utility shots, but the Invictus is a little more useful.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 98 Times in 83 Posts

Anyone compare it to the Anax or PD
Old 03-24-2020, 11:45 PM

Niced 23 Times in 14 Posts

I used to throw the straight (flatish) PDs and this disc is definitely more overstable than both the Anax and PD, but it is more overstable in the finish, it does not fight left out of the hand immediately. So the beginning portion looks just like the PD and Anax, but the finish is stronger.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-25-2020, 12:05 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 24
Niced 175 Times in 122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
Anyone throwing these?

All of my Thunderbirds are beat to about dead straight so I need something that goes reliably left at the 350-420 foot range my Firebird doesn't quite reach.
If the invictus doesn't work out, I've found newer run PDs to be the beef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowneagle View Post
I used to throw the straight (flatish) PDs and this disc is definitely more overstable than both the Anax and PD, but it is more overstable in the finish, it does not fight left out of the hand immediately. So the beginning portion looks just like the PD and Anax, but the finish is stronger.
So, faster, mellower FB? Actually sounds quite useful. Like something you can put a bit of flex on to get through a tunnel but have some skip/left movement once you're out
Old 03-25-2020, 08:55 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 253 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack504 View Post
So, faster, mellower FB? Actually sounds quite useful. Like something you can put a bit of flex on to get through a tunnel but have some skip/left movement once you're out
Got mine in the mail and immediately bagged one for a round. It's easily one of my new favorite discs.

Your theory I quoted above is pretty much dead accurate. Longer Firebird that travels straight for a decent amount of time before fading.

I LOVE it because it can pretty easily reach out to 350-425 range with a majority straight flight. BUT it still has a TON of left movement at the end of the throw.

It's great for low skip shots in the woods to hit gaps and still cover a large amount of distance.

Immediately in the top 5 discs for me and that never happens right away (you can see by my signature I've got a pretty traditional Innova bag).

Niced: (1)
Old 03-25-2020, 09:44 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 24
Niced 175 Times in 122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
Got mine in the mail and immediately bagged one for a round. It's easily one of my new favorite discs.

Your theory I quoted above is pretty much dead accurate. Longer Firebird that travels straight for a decent amount of time before fading.

I LOVE it because it can pretty easily reach out to 350-425 range with a majority straight flight. BUT it still has a TON of left movement at the end of the throw.

It's great for low skip shots in the woods to hit gaps and still cover a large amount of distance.

Immediately in the top 5 discs for me and that never happens right away (you can see by my signature I've got a pretty traditional Innova bag).
Funny, because yesterday I decided to bring along a second FB in my bag. I usually bag a '19 sexton. It's a standard FB flight. But this other one I added has a bit of dome, a lower PLH, and has more straight glide than a standard FB. It was windy yesterday, and I didn't realize how useful this slot can be. I was getting fresh teebird flights in a 20+mph headwind. Good stuff.

I'll have to try out an invictus soon. I'm liking these early reviews.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:49 AM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday i got a 172g and 175g set of swirly star Invictus (non-proto) discs in the mail. The first thing i noticed is that the 175 is VERY domey, and the 172 has a slight dome. I'm not a fan of super domey discs and was a bit disheartened to see the heavier disc (which i'm more amped about) to be the domey one. anyone else seeing a difference in dome depending on the weight range? hopping over to some merchant sites like OTB, it does appear the heavier discs in the new swirly run are more domey.

On the course i only threw the 175g very domey Invictus. Echoing some earlier statements, it hooks up and hooks up hard when it fades. I play with a '19 FB and a First Run Pioneer as my go-to's for FH, and the Invictus might be the perfect disc to complete the trifecta. I've been searching for something beefier than the Pioneer with the ability to drive forward and fade out hard, and this is it.

BH the disc is able to drive forward with no risk of it flipping over. I've got a pretty powerful throw and I didn't feel like if i threw it flat it would run away from me. In the wind the disc was still able to finish strong and provide a nice fan skip.

FH the disc will hook up fast if you're trying to flex it. I'm used to throwing a PD2 when i need a big flex FH and this disc instantly replaced the need to throw the PD2 on holes under 400. The PD2 takes too long to hookup on flex shots and this creates a small window to get the shot right. With the Invictus, I was able to flex it long enough and then rely on it to aggressively stable up and then continue with a hard fade. If you're expecting it to drive forward on the fade, it will not. In my experience the disc will fade hard but consistently.

That's my two cents. Let me know if y'all are seeing consistently domey heavy runs. It's interesting how the molds came out considering the protos don't appear to be super domey.