Old 04-10-2020, 10:57 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 85 Times in 55 Posts

Is it discomforting to wear a N95 mask all day? Does the gown include head protection? Which nurses have the most physically demanding job caring for Covid patients?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2020, 11:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,131 Times in 961 Posts

Old 04-10-2020, 11:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,042 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I have a non health-related question I've wanted to know for a long time, ru4por. How do you pronounce your screen name? Is it "ROO for poor" or "Are you four P-O-R" or something else? Not trying to diminish the august nature of this thread, just genuinely curious, and again, thank you for your service, especially in that Detroit hot spot. Looking forward to the day we can all hook up and throw our Holy Frisbees together.

(My brain says "roo for poor" whenever I see it for no particular reason.)
LOL....I have thought about changing it for a while. It is supposed to read like a vanity licence plate. Are you for POR.

POR (Press on Regardless) was an professional off road rally held annually in the Keewenaw Peninsula of the UP in Michigan. Based out of Michigan Tech. As a yoot, I had several good friends go to Tech and would go UP each year to see them and check out the race. It was renown for being the toughest, meanest rally of the North American rally circuit.

We have gone UP to the race pretty much ever since. Developed a great group of friends, most of which I see a couple times a year, from all around the country.

The race itself still happens as Lake Superior Pro Rally (LSPR). All wheel modified cars, stage racing down the logging trails and two tracks of the Upper Peninsula for two days. We generally map out a couple spots to go to, park and party for 10 hours or so in God's country.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
Is it discomforting to wear a N95 mask all day? Does the gown include head protection? Which nurses have the most physically demanding job caring for Covid patients?
The masks vary. We have been using about 4 versions. They range from uncomfortable to brutal. I have done OK with them. But, many nurses have facial wounds from friction and skin reactions to the mask.

The gowns are probably the worst part. We are using cloth gowns with a rubber type lining. They are sooo hot. When you go "in", as we call it (gearing up and going to treat patients in the dirty area) you are usually in for 20 min to several hours. We try to rotate, as best we can, caring for each others patients, to get in breaks to recover a bit. You usually come out drenched in sweat. The gowns we use have no head covering. My hair is a bit long, coming out of winter, I usually grow it out for warmth and cut it back in the spring, but barber (Big Wally) is not working now. So, I pull a cut off T-Shirt sleeve over my head to cover most of my head and hair. Most of the girls are using bonnet style head coverings. Mostly homemade from other nurses, nurses families.

As stated, I work with non-ventilator patients. They are pretty sick and a lot are nursing home patients with significant non Covid problems to work on. Bed sores, feeding tubes, trachs, dialysis and bed bound. I have not been over to the ICU, but their work must be brutal as well. Talked to a few nurses and swapped stories, I think it is six of one, have dozen of the other.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-10-2020, 12:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I don't want to over dramatize it. But, the mandatory bottle of water/gatorade is missing in the above, lol. I can't stay hydrated enough in the down time.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-10-2020, 07:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 86
Niced 85 Times in 55 Posts

Are you seeing younger patients getting sent to the ICU? Like people in their 20s or 30s? Do you think having allergies makes you high risk?
Old 04-10-2020, 08:31 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 363 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
Do you think having allergies makes you high risk?
I can't answer your question, but I want to rant a second and say my body picked a hell of a year to get two colds and start having issues with allergies. I feel like I've had a small cough for pretty much a month straight with the cold followed right away by spring starting in my area and allergies kicking in .
Old 04-10-2020, 11:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 4
Niced 210 Times in 147 Posts

Excellent work so far, keep up the good reporting. The disc God's have you on their side.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 54
Niced 84 Times in 47 Posts

Is Actemra being discussed where you are working?

Old 04-11-2020, 09:52 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 331
Niced 4,608 Times in 2,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Pretty good likeness of him, too

... except for the hair.

I keed, I keed.

You da man! :elbowbump: