Old 08-01-2020, 10:51 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 738 Times in 341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
If the starter pack challenge doesn't prove anything to some, check these two out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLiOsUkU-Vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi82PJD9fzc
Some nice throws with the DX Stingray and Cobra. Parking a 336' island hole with discs that some say are too flippy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFoxFL View Post
Since I am new, I only have four discs in my bag:
> Innova DX Leopard [6|5|-2|1]
> Innova DX Cobra [4|5|-2|2]
> Innova DX Shark [4|4|0|2]
> Innova DX Aviar [3|2|0|1]
AlphaFoxFL, check out those videos above. You have a DX Cobra; here is the potential of that disc.

Quote:
Here is an in the bag a non-300ft SD86 type thrower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwxr2iqKQpU
Don't be that guy; unless you just want to buy lots of plastic
Never saw that before. An example of poor form and a bag full of discs with too many molds that don't do anything different. A lot of those disc descriptions sounded like they were taken from other in the bag videos, but they didn't match up with the throws at all. I'll second what Keller said. Don't go down this road.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2020, 10:59 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 258 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
In another thread I mentioned the SD86 philosophy of disc golf; that is, don't improve, argue with known paths to success and justify buying new discs in the search for distance instead of taking a step back and re-learning and fixing flaws.
That was not what I argued, thank you very much. You just wanted to make what I said into that argument.

I’ll agree that RoDeO seems to be arguing some form of that, but that wasn’t my argument. I just said people have different preferences in disc for the same slot. Gold Compass vs. DX Roc is not a search for a magic disc.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
That was not what I argued, thank you very much. You just wanted to make what I said into that argument.

I’ll agree that RoDeO seems to be arguing some form of that, but that wasn’t my argument. I just said people have different preferences in disc for the same slot. Gold Compass vs. DX Roc is not a search for a magic disc.
And just to be clear; I wasn't speaking about you. I was just making a general comment.

There is nothing wrong with testing discs, some will feel better, some have better grip, it's all part of the game. But from what I have seen, most don't stick with a disc long enough to truly know the differences. I prefer the Roc to the Shark, but in a pinch, I can make a Shark work just fine.

As an example; Some prefer Leopards, some prefer Cheetahs. I threw Leopards for years, it took me a while to realize that the wing and the shallow depth was causing me release issues if the weather wasn't just right, but, I had a good understanding of the Leopards flight in the end.

If you don't have a baseline, what is one to measure against? Then it becomes just dumb luck.

Again, I wasn't critisizing or pointing at you

Niced: (1)
Old 08-01-2020, 02:05 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thank you guys for all your input. As you may know, I'm trying to get up to at least 150ft with my Aviar putter and anything beyond 200ft with my mids.

I'm definitely getting somewhere. After a change to my grip, I can actually throw the discs the way they were meant to be thrown, following their flight paths the way that they are portrayed. This has given me a lot of confidence.

My putter is still around the 125ft area, and my mids are still in the 160+ft area, but I am making ground, with every few tens of throws being noticeably better than the next. I'm not worried about my fairway driver just yet, but I did get a few 190+ throws with it today on a course.

My paths are not spewing anymore, and my accuracy is lightyears better than what it was. I had three tap-in puts in 9-holes; that's impressive for me.

Now that I'm getting my shots in a tighter grouping, with better control, loft, and ease... What do I have to do to keep this kind of grouping while getting more distance...? Obviously, the further out you are, the more spread your grouping is going to be just by the nature of it, but the question still stands: How do I start gaining distance while keeping my shots accurate?

Thank you again for all your input, it has carried me a long way in this past week or so.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:53 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 41 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
Missing the point.

The point is that they are not as unthrowable as you make them out to be, especially for people throwing them similar distances to you and OP. You can certainly get a lot more out of them than you currently are, even without hyzerflipping.

About those scores: as a group they averaged under +3. A +3 at Dela is 970+ rated. They all threw 950-1000 rated rounds. The point here is that again, those discs are not as unthrowable as you state.

This:

means you are still closer to this:

You and OP are having issues getting those basic discs past 200 feet. That is something that, assuming you want to improve, you should really figure out. Based on what you have described, it sounds like it is more than simply learning the hyzerflip.

Again, play your scoring rounds with whatever works best. But when it comes to learning and improving, for you, for OP, and anyone else in a similar situation, there are some fundamental issues that throwing those "starter" discs will help you figure out.
I disagree. I can throw my layup disc midrange Evidence (170g) out to 270 feet no problem. I can throw my putter out to 200 standing in place. My problem is, that since I started throwing left handed 5 weeks ago the spin or release I am putting on my light discs is causing them to flip too easy. My problem throwing putters far is I can't find a comfortable grip so I just use a fan grip.

Let's put this in perspective. 5 weeks ago I started learning to throw of which I had never done before with my off hand. I was throwing around 175 on average drives back then with my "starter" discs that first week. I threw lots of putter rounds and improved, then changed my grip for a better more comfortable feel. Now, this morning, I went and played and again increased my max drive on a hole throwing it 338 feet.

Now, I know I have things to clean up and get better at but Im thinking that for a 47 year old who just started 5 weeks ago to be already approaching 350 feet isn't too shabby.

So, do you think a 47 year old who just started playing 5 weeks ago who is approaching 350 on a good drive has fundamental flaws?
Old 08-01-2020, 05:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

Post a video, otherwise it's just internet distance
Old 08-01-2020, 07:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 566 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
So, do you think a 47 year old who just started playing 5 weeks ago who is approaching 350 on a good drive has fundamental flaws?
So, if it is not fundamental flaws what is keeping you at 350'?

47? So? 350' is the max distance for a 47 year old?
Playing 5 weeks? So if you play more you will throw farther. Ok, but its not a form flaw in your mind?

Niced: (1)
Old 08-01-2020, 08:00 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 41 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
So, if it is not fundamental flaws what is keeping you at 350'?

47? So? 350' is the max distance for a 47 year old?
Playing 5 weeks? So if you play more you will throw farther. Ok, but its not a form flaw in your mind?
I don't see it as a fundamental form flaw. Do you? I don't know what my max potential is a year from now or 5 years from now. I guess time will tell.
I just don't think it's a form flaw to not choose to throw light slow discs because they flip over too fast and right now, for a newbie, it's hard to get that hyzer angle at release just perfect so it flips up to level and flies straight.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 566 Times in 330 Posts

If its not a flaw in form then what is it?

I get not wanting to throw light flippy discs during a round but if it isn't a form issue in not being able to get a good flight out of it then what else could it be?

Old 08-01-2020, 08:24 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 738 Times in 341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
I disagree. I can throw my layup disc midrange Evidence (170g) out to 270 feet no problem. I can throw my putter out to 200 standing in place. My problem is, that since I started throwing left handed 5 weeks ago the spin or release I am putting on my light discs is causing them to flip too easy. My problem throwing putters far is I can't find a comfortable grip so I just use a fan grip.

Let's put this in perspective. 5 weeks ago I started learning to throw of which I had never done before with my off hand. I was throwing around 175 on average drives back then with my "starter" discs that first week. I threw lots of putter rounds and improved, then changed my grip for a better more comfortable feel. Now, this morning, I went and played and again increased my max drive on a hole throwing it 338 feet.

Now, I know I have things to clean up and get better at but Im thinking that for a 47 year old who just started 5 weeks ago to be already approaching 350 feet isn't too shabby.

Being unable to throw those light slow discs more than 200' is proof of a fundamental form flaw and/or understanding of how to throw a disc.

Throwing a disc 338' isn't proof of good form. That can be done by strongarming, throwing faster discs that compensate for flaws, etc.

Disagree all you want, but these have been demonstrated time and again. You're not the first new player stating you put so much snap or spin on those discs such that they behave the way you described. You're not the first new player (even at your age) chucking a disc over 300 feet and thinking it proves you know how to throw.

You're stunting your own development. You've also already injured yourself.

You have been playing 5 weeks. Those who are telling you that there are issues have been playing for years, if not decades.

This ain't our first rodeo.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by SaROCaM; 08-01-2020 at 08:27 PM.