Old 08-07-2020, 02:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 948 Times in 731 Posts
Default Streamline Trace vs. Star Wraith

Another comparison of two fairly similar discs in the field today. Trace is plasma plastic, unknown weight. Plastic kinda reminds me of G*. Wraith is 175g. Newer run, embossed. Flattish, somewhat gummy plastic.

Wraith is fairly flat, whereas the Trace has a nice dome.

I was expecting the Trace to outfly the Wraith for distance, mainly due to the fact that it's domier.

The two discs flew very similar lines, but the star Wraith was going consistently further. I felt like the Wraith penetrated better, and was in less hurry to fade. The Trace just seemed clunky. It wasn't any slower than the Wraith, yet it wasn't getting downrange that decently. I also felt like it glided less than the Wraith as well.

Star Wraith: 11, 5, -1, 3
Streamline Trace: 11, 4, -1, 3

Similar numbers, but less glide for the Trace. By no means a terrible disc, but I was still a little disappointed with it. The Wraith was true to the numbers. No great surprises there. I was able to lean into it hard and get consistent flights. A little turn, but nothing major.

I don't bag either mold, but if I did it'd be the Wraith. I just felt like I threw it more consistently and got better distance with it over the Trace. The Trace reminded me more of a Starfire.

Top Wraith distance was probably about 420'. Trace was at least 10' shorter. I was really surprised the Trace wasn't carrying further. I fully expected it to beat the Wraith.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2020, 02:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 65 Times in 51 Posts

Interesting, from my personal experience I have found the plasma trace to be noticeably less stable than that of a star wraith. I would be interested to see the comparison if you also added a CD3! To me, the CD3 is right in between the trace in the wraith stability wise, and for me flies the furthest of the three, although I have not recorded the distance on many wraith shots.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 804 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHaavisto View Post
Interesting, from my personal experience I have found the plasma trace to be noticeably less stable than that of a star wraith. I would be interested to see the comparison if you also added a CD3! To me, the CD3 is right in between the trace in the wraith stability wise, and for me flies the furthest of the three, although I have not recorded the distance on many wraith shots.
CD3 has a noticeably smaller rim and flies more sluggish. I know it is also listed at 11 speed, but it feels and flies more like a 10 speed IMO.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 92
Niced 65 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
CD3 has a noticeably smaller rim and flies more sluggish. I know it is also listed at 11 speed, but it feels and flies more like a 10 speed IMO.
To each their own for sure, the CD3 for me is one of my furthest flying (if not the furthest) discs for me!

I just looked it up because I wouldn't say the rim is noticeably smaller than the other two
to me, and I found this under the PDGA specs:

CD3 - Rim depth 1.2cm, rim thickness 2.1cm, inside rim diameter 16.9

Wraith - Rim depth 1.2cm, rim thickness 2.1cm, inside rim diameter 16.9

Trace - Rim depth 1.2cm, rim thickness 2.2cm, inside rim diameter 16.8

As is with all discs some feel smaller or larger in the hand to some people over others but actual rim specs they are pretty comparable.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Took me a bit, but I looked up the review I wrote of the CD3 a couple years ago in the CD3 thread. Frankly, I forgot all about that disc until I read what I wrote in 2018.

I remember the disc now. Sluggish, fairly glideless, and overstable. The Trace does remind me of a CD3.

Whatever the case, I find Wraiths a little easier to throw, and longer than the CD3 or Trace.

I rated the CD3 at 11, 4, 0, 2 then. I don't think I've thrown that disc since either. I have it around somewhere.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Default Review of CD3 from 9/27/18

Threw a CD3 for the first time today. C line. 175ish. Very nice, bright, clear plastic.

For a speed 11 its beefy. I was giving it pretty much all the arm I had and wasn't seeing any high speed turn. I also felt like it had marginal glide. Honestly, the CD3 reminded me of a faster Starfire or maybe a Teerex. It wouldn't stay flat for long before wanting to fade. This disc is often compared to a Wraith, but I felt like the CD3 was beefier and had less glide than any Wraith I've thrown.

Good news was, the fade wasn't overly sharp and the disc wasn't dive bombing left horribly. Being that it was flying pretty overstable I was able to dial the disc in pretty quickly in terms of accuracy. It wasn't much affected by wind and flew exactly the same every time I threw it.

Good disc for 375'ish drives. Bad disc for flexing out for big yards.

CD3: 11, 4, 0, 2 (my numbers). I found the disc to have less glide and less high speed turn than the given numbers. Maybe I just have a beefy one here, but this disc is NOT made for noodle arms or beginners.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-08-2020, 10:55 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 140 Times in 97 Posts

I haven't thrown a CD3 but nearly every Innova molded disc in Champion and max weight is noticeably more stable then Star. Heck I got a 175 Champ RR that I would rate -1/1.5. I only throw 400 max though.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:25 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 115
Niced 236 Times in 127 Posts

The Trace excels in Neutron plastic, imo. More glide. Oddly, the custom stamped ones (Circuit, Ace of Spades) are a bit less overstable than the stock stamped ones. I am currently in the process of deciding between Traces and Punishers for my long distance drivers. I will add that while I haven't thrown a Wraith since they started putting flight numbers on them, I am getting the Neutron Trace out to about 440 or 450, with good control. The only downside, if there is one, in my eyes, is that the "narrow" rim width costs them distance when throwing uphill or high flighted shots. Bear in mind i threw Nukes for many years, so maybe I just need to adjust my expectations.

TLDR: Getting old sucks, but a good Trace makes it suck a little less.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddyboots View Post
The Trace excels in Neutron plastic, imo. More glide. Oddly, the custom stamped ones (Circuit, Ace of Spades) are a bit less overstable than the stock stamped ones. I am currently in the process of deciding between Traces and Punishers for my long distance drivers. I will add that while I haven't thrown a Wraith since they started putting flight numbers on them, I am getting the Neutron Trace out to about 440 or 450, with good control. The only downside, if there is one, in my eyes, is that the "narrow" rim width costs them distance when throwing uphill or high flighted shots. Bear in mind i threw Nukes for many years, so maybe I just need to adjust my expectations.

TLDR: Getting old sucks, but a good Trace makes it suck a little less.
I found the Punisher to be a lot longer than the Trace. Wider, shallower rim.

IMO, the Punisher is one of Discraft's underrated molds that no one seems to throw.

Niced: (1)

Old 08-09-2020, 12:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Niced 3,141 Times in 964 Posts

From my experience, the Trace is a bit squirrelly compared to a Wraith. I trust the flight of the Wraith more.